Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2010, 04:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was at a wedding last week and ...

I was at a wedding last week and believe it or not, the official photographer was shooting Pentax. Ok, that was to be expected you will say. Then, of all the people there, there were 3 other DSLR, 2 were Pentax and one was Olympus. It reminded me of the post here that was talking about how rarely do we see Pentax shooter. The sight was refreshing !

As for the wedding photograph, she was very good but oh so no conventionnal... She wasn't using limited glasses, she wasn't using strobe and remote flashes and tons of lightning equipement. She was not even using a secondary body (not that I agree with that lol). No, all she had with her was memory cards, her beloved K10D, Kit lens (yes, kit lens...) and a big Sigma Flash. Something in line with the 530 DG I don't know which model she had.

So, I checked her work on flickr and Facebook and surely everything she posts is great. Let just say that it reminded me of how much I spend time reading about how great this and that lens are great while some people are out there making money with an artistic eye and an old K10D with the kit lens (she does have significant amount of contracts!)...

Also, I am shooting my first wedding next week and I spent some time reading on the internet some tips to prepare myself properly. I keep reading stuff like : run away, you will die + you need billion flashes, strobes... + you need at least 2 camera bodies with multiple lens + you absolutely need 2.8 glasses and faster and so on and so far.

Well... everyone does not have the same talent, but still, I came to the conclusion that I need to stop wishing I had those limited glasses all the time and start shooting a little more. As for the wedding, I will be heading there with my K-x, mu friend's K-m and I will try to take as many pictures as I can with my Tamron 28-75mm with a Sigma 530 Super. I will probably put my Pentax-m 100mm on the other body and if the 28-75mm isn't quite wide enough, I might even go all in and guess what ? Use my kit lens for a wedding!

Happy shooting everyone

Last edited by kp0c; 08-19-2010 at 04:44 AM.
08-19-2010, 04:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

lightning is 80% of a good pic. There are tons of examples of gorgeous pics taken with gear ranging from toy cameras, cell phones and p&s.

that aside, in the same conditions the better lens will give better output. Would that difference matter? Depends on the clients, the print size, the post processing etc.

IMO, if you want to shoot weddings with Pentax, treat yourself at least with the DA * 16-50mm. It will make your life much easier.

good luck!
08-19-2010, 04:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, the 16-50 would be very nice. Although I quite like the Tamron *equivalent* offer, the 17-50mm.
08-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Good luck on your wedding shoot!

I have shot weddings before, though never as the main photographer. What I suggest is:

1-avoid flash, it annoys everyone

2-use fast glass indoors. Some of my best indoor shots were with the M150 f3,5 wide open, F50 f1,7 at f2, and Takumar bayonet 135 mm at f4

3-do not get in the way. discuss this with the celebrant, if possible, and at least with the bride/groom

4-a second body is useful because at some point, your main body will fail (maybe in two years, but at some point it will)

5-the kit lens is ok, but not the best lens out there. My best outside shots were with the Sigma 17-70

6-Plan ahead, a lot. Know when you will shoot what, where, how

7-use multiple cards, so you don't loose everything if your memory card becomes corrupt (at some point, it will. A friend's ATP card became corrupt three days ago)

8-I've been getting better at weddings because after goign through mine and four others, I know have a feeling of what to expect. It helps.

I'll be a guest photographer at a wedding this Saturday too, I wish we both get good weather!

08-19-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
MY younger sister is the same way actually.
She shoots with Olympus and most likely with kit lenses and she's done several weddings to date. But... she's also heavily invested in post processing and I think that has alot to do with it.

A funny thing about post processing, is when you do press or publishing work it becomes obvious that good shooting and equipment do no replace post processing(no way no how). And more importantly... where most images(within reason) seems to require a similar amount of work.

Anyways, I know this had nopthing little to do with the initial post but I thought I would mention it just the same anyways
08-19-2010, 07:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I would echo what others have said, except that I don't think you can avoid flash and get the kind of photos people expect. You do need a hefty flash to have it be of any help, though. Every pro I have been around lately has had a big flash on the end of a long stick. At least around the weddings I've attended, it was expected.
08-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Skill is more important than equipment, but depriving yourself of good equipment is not an admirable trait. A professional angler can catch fish with a cane pole...but he doesn't. Still, he could beat me with that cane pole.

I have shot a couple of weddings, as a secondary shooter, for free. I can't say I enjoyed it, Squirrels are much easier to shoot, and more cooperative, but I did get a few decent shots that were chosen to hang in the new couples home.

I understand what you are saying, and do not disagree, but at your earliest opportunity get some fast glass and good flash....and give yourself a treat! You will be amazed at how much easier it can be!

Again, I am just a pure amateur, but the DA*50-135& 540 Flash made this so much easier for me to shoot!

Best Regards

08-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're going to be using mostly a zoom and a flash in doors, remember -- bounce flash is your friend. I've found it works especially well if you bounce it diagonally behind you, (assuming there is suitable walls and ceiling space behind you). It produces more pleasing looking light and you can avoid blinding people, which is always a bonus.
08-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are shooting an outdoor wedding you should be fine. If you are shooting an indoor wedding I would beg, barrow, steal a 50 1.4 or 30 1.4. My K20D just does not give me the ISO I need indoors and thus I use the k-x when indoors. But I don’t use flash, though I do keep one in my bag just in case. For me anywise, 2.8 is just not enough speed indoor with the pentax system.

08-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

kp0c, any chance we can get a link to the Flickr account of the wedding photographer you were talking about?
08-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
If you are shooting an outdoor wedding you should be fine. If you are shooting an indoor wedding I would beg, barrow, steal a 50 1.4 or 30 1.4. My K20D just does not give me the ISO I need indoors and thus I use the k-x when indoors. But I don’t use flash, though I do keep one in my bag just in case. For me anywise, 2.8 is just not enough speed indoor with the pentax system.
With the 30/1.4 are you reffering to the Sigma?
If so... how do you find the overall performance of this lens?
I've been teetering on a faster wide lens for indoor work but I haven't found anything concrete with regards to field reviews from the Pentax side of things.
08-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@JonhBee

It's funny you mention that because looking at her pictures, I could tell she was very comfortable with photoshop. I guess this will be my main concern as I am not very experienced with it.

And for what it is worth, my post didn't mean that's the way I wanted to shoot wedding (heck, I'm not even a wedding photographer - will probably never predend to be one either ! - ) However, I was very impressed by the way she worked and the result she'd get!

Now, for myself, I would gladly use fast zoom lens like the DA* but those are out of the question for now. I do have the FA-50mm 1.4 and a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 that I am planning on using though! But again, I don't want to be switching lens all the time... ! I would also like to get some shots with my 100mm 2.8 or 135mm 2.8... We'll see.
08-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
kp0c, any chance we can get a link to the Flickr account of the wedding photographer you were talking about?
On her flickr page Flickr: photocreationstz.com's Photostream you will mainly find family photo shoot. I believe she does that quite often. However, she usually work in pair for wedding but ocasionnally alone, like last week end. They do have a facebook page though were they display some sample wedding pictures they took - limited numbers of photo but enough to get an idea I presume. I'm not sure if she has a page where she regrouped all of HER wedding pictures...!

Here's the facebook group : Tanya Zaleski Photocreations | Facebook
08-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@JohnBee- Yes the Sigma 30 1.4. For the price you can't beat it ( LOVE this lens) Cons- Hunts a bit in low light and I can only use the center focus point with my copy. Pros- It is very sharp, the focal length works great for me. This lens is permanently attached to my camera during most the wedding, besides the ceremony. I use it more than my 43 1.9 but mainly because I like 30mm and I need every bit of speed I can get.

@kp0c- Sounds like you have all the lenses you will need, Though you will always want more
08-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I've shot a few weddings before with Pentax and manual focus (call me crazy) but how did all those photogs from the 80s and before do it??

I think you can pull it off with just a kit lens although, you can handle a variety of situations better with faster glass.

Wedding is like 90% doing your homework. That means getting all the communication sorted out between you and your clients. Everything from what is expect to just as importantly, the itinerary for the day and any sort of photo accomodations req. Group shots, family portraits, etc.

Knowing the flow of the itinerary is also knowing what kinda lighting situations you will be working under and as a photographer, you have the skills to judge what is needed when.

The rest is just making sure your batteries are charged, memory cards are present and empty and your camera and flash are working.

Happy Shooting!
Pete,