Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

Band Promo Photography

Hi everyone. I've been giving my new K100D a workout over the past few weeks snapping dancers and musicians at various places. Every time I take them someone always comes up to me and asks me for a link and I always email them my Flickr site (Flickr: Photos from sjl7678).

Yesterday I took photos as usual and emailed them to a couple of people. Today one of them emailed me back saying that he really liked the shots and wants to know if I'd be interested in doing the band's promotional photos for the mailer they're putting together. Of course I'm interested, but I do have a few questions.

First, and probably most importantly, he wants to know how much I'd charge for an hour of shooting. Well, I've never been paid to photograph anything before so I honestly have no idea at all. How much is typical for an hour long band shoot? I realize that I'm not the best photographer in the world so I'm not going to get a ton of money and that's fine by me. I just need a starting point.

I'm also looking for advice on the shoot itself. I have a K100D with the kit lens, a FA 50mm f/1.4 and an SMC-M 50mm f/2. I've got a couple of tripods and will be getting a Vivitar 285HV and some wireless triggers in the next week or two. I have 3gb worth of memory (around 400 RAW photos) and plenty of batteries. Is there anything crucial that I'm forgetting?

The band seems really willing to work with me on this; they've asked for my advice on location, time of day, apparel, etc. I have some ideas of my own but I want their input as well. I think this could be great experience for me and they could get some really nice photos for their mailer. Any other advice you guys could give me for this kind of thing would be great! Thanks!

08-26-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

First, is this going to be a one time situation or are you interested in pursuing it as a full or part-time business? If the answer is business, then you need to ask yourself about your portfolio (to gain future clients) and whether photos of this band would help that. If so, you may want to charge less for the job just to gain those additional photos.

Next, you'll need to find out exactly what the band expects during that hour of shooting. For example, how much real effort is involved and how much post processing time may be needed. You might also look for clues on how much the band is willing to pay - how much they can truly afford. In other words, you need to talk first before committing to a price.

In the end, only after considering all this, you can come up with a price both you and they are happy with. I can't answer that and I honestly doubt anyone else here can either. There are guides available which suggest "standard rates" for various jobs, but I've generally found them to be nearly worthless since there are simply too many variables involved in the real world.

Finally, as for equipment, you obviously already have the equipment for the images you linked to, and the band liked those images. Therefore, any additional equipment is probably not needed. You may be real tempted to try something new during all this, but that is not a good idea for a paid shoot. Save experimenting for your own time, on subjects that won't get angry if the results are not exactly as expected. However, if you must experiment, do so only after getting the expected images (the images they paid for) and only after letting the band know you're experimenting (on your own time). If the band is reluctant to participate in your experiments, offer discounted prints if the experiments work.

stewart
08-26-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
First, is this going to be a one time situation or are you interested in pursuing it as a full or part-time business? If the answer is business, then you need to ask yourself about your portfolio (to gain future clients) and whether photos of this band would help that. If so, you may want to charge less for the job just to gain those additional photos.
I think that's what I'm going to do. I wouldn't mind turning photography into a part-time (I'm a computer programmer by day) job to help finance lenses and other random photo stuff.

Next, you'll need to find out exactly what the band expects during that hour of shooting. For example, how much real effort is involved and how much post processing time may be needed. You might also look for clues on how much the band is willing to pay - how much they can truly afford. In other words, you need to talk first before committing to a price.
That's what I figured. I'm going to email them back and see what they're looking for.

Finally, as for equipment, you obviously already have the equipment for the images you linked to, and the band liked those images. Therefore, any additional equipment is probably not needed. You may be real tempted to try something new during all this, but that is not a good idea for a paid shoot. Save experimenting for your own time, on subjects that won't get angry if the results are not exactly as expected. However, if you must experiment, do so only after getting the expected images (the images they paid for) and only after letting the band know you're experimenting (on your own time). If the band is reluctant to participate in your experiments, offer discounted prints if the experiments work.
That's a very, very good way of looking at it. I'll probably still bring an external flash just in case, but I'll go with what I know for the most part.

Thanks for all the great advice!
08-26-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Get model release and sign a contract. Eventhough this looks like a good way to start - treat it like a business and CYA.
Some Links:
ASMP: Copyright Application Tutorial
Pay attention to the Work-for-hire as to who "owns" the images.
Get everything you can in writing.
Get a copy of the contract - put it on the CD/DVD etc. you send them. If you treat them with good business practices will set the tone. Set your expectation as to pay, product produced and incidentals as you see fit.
A word to the wise - taking someone's picture and not getting a model release and posting it on the web - can lead to no end of problems - the link provided has some off shoots that describe how individuals "own" their image - especially those in the arts.

Good luck on the shoot.
PDL

09-12-2007, 10:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As PDL said, putting the photo up for display or even using it as a submission in a photography contest could cause som unnecessary grief should you not get a model release.

I for one have made signing a model release part of my contractual process, regardless of what type of photography I'm doing. I explain it to my customers outright, that we would like them to sign so as to allow us to use their photo as part of my portfolio, image display at the studio or convention, website, or other form of promotion.

So far, no one has said no
09-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #6
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I know that this may sound a little far fetched, but I just purchased some 3-CD sets of groups I grew up with and they included images from their early years. The photographers were called out by name in the credits. I am not suggesting that this band will become the next greatest thing - but you should be very sure that your name is associated with the images and that credit/recognition ==> money is paid to you for their use.

Treat this as a business - I do know of people who "gave away" or "just helped out a buddy" only to have the "buddy" reap the rewards. If you want to give it away - that is fine, but if you want to build a career or support your addiction (that is what photography is to me) - you had better start early acting like is it a business.

PDL