Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax and Weddings

I got the opportunity to shoot a small wedding a couple of weeks ago. Being my first wedding I hit google to find out what and how I should approach this. So ignoring the suggestions of buying a 5Dmk2 or D700 I pulled out my MZ-7 as my Pentax FF . I know the question about shooting a wedding comes up a fair bit so I though I'd put down a few things that I learnt from my first time (shooting a wedding...). A lot of the information I got was from other users post on this forum was the most useful I found on the net.

To start with, the gear I used was
- K20D with an old 35-80mm (35mm format) sigma
- MZ-7 with FA-50 f1.4 and AF-360 flash
- Also swapped out DA 10-17mm at times.

In my googling on what gear I needed, one thing that kept coming up was Pentax slow AF while is workable, would be an issue. I found no issue with the AF on either the MZ-7 or K20D. All the shoots I wanted, including moving ones all focused correctly as quickly as I needed them too.

Additional gear I would have like to have had is another flash unit for the other camera and a faster lens covering the 15 to 50mm focal length.

The other thing is to make sure the bride and groom will work with you. The problem I face was they kept turn away from the camera regardless of what position I took.

So with all that aside and working with what i had, the end result for myself was that I gotten some pretty good photos. I'm happy with my first go. (o yeah, the couple were very happy also well )

08-23-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good for you mate!
Glad it worked out well.
The K20D should have managed reasonably well.
The flash of all flashes to me for weddings is the AF540, and the wide to normal lens IMO is the DA* 16-50 (or Tamron 28-75 if wide end is not needed). Then couple with a fast telephoto like a DA* 50-135 or Tamron 70-200, then you've got all focal lengths covered.
08-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I take it you shot an outdoor wedding? I didn't have any problems with an outdoor wedding with my older K10 back when I used it. I think the slow AF comments are generally related to indoor shoots where older cameras like my K10 would hunt and hunt and hunt if on AF.

Learning the angles is tough for sure, and don't be afraid to be in the way a bit as most know that you're in their way for a reason. Some photographers like to signal the couple to wait for their queue before certain events (such as walking up the aisle out of the church, etc.)

Personally, the best accessory I can get is an assistant that understands your style of shooting. Holding a reflector or a second flash at the right spot makes working a lot quicker and easier, but finding an acceptable assistant is extremely tough.
08-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

I have shot wedding just 2 weeks ago with K10D and K-x using 3 FA ltds, Sig 10-20 and K50/1.2. While I did miss couple of shots due to K10D + shallow DOF + moving subject combination I can't complain at all! Both cameras performed on the level and delivered some great shots IMO mostly with natural light only. Feedback I got was good to great so I'm definitely happy with Pentax APSC crop gear I have. Definitely won't be jumping ship anytime soon! As far as assistant/2nd photog goes, I got lucky. My mrs saved my butt at times with some great captures with favourite K-x/31ltd combo!

08-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Good for you mate!
Thanks Ash, a lot of your post on the subject proved to be very handy as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
I take it you shot an outdoor wedding?
Personally, the best accessory I can get is an assistant that understands your style of shooting.
No it was indoor in a small chapel. Once we got outside I did rope someone else in to help.

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Feedback I got was good to great so I'm definitely happy with Pentax APSC crop gear I have.
I agree 100%
08-24-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've not found slow AF to be an issue for weddings. Other than the dancing, there is not that much that is happening all that quickly. Loud AF is an issue and high ISO can be an issue, but more and more I'm thinking not so much. Careful exposure and a little pp goes a long way.

Now, if the next body comes out with K-x level ISO capabilities and K-7 features....
08-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I've not found slow AF to be an issue for weddings. Other than the dancing, there is not that much that is happening all that quickly. Loud AF is an issue and high ISO can be an issue, but more and more I'm thinking not so much. Careful exposure and a little pp goes a long way.

Now, if the next body comes out with K-x level ISO capabilities and K-7 features....
That would be the K-5.
Enjoy waiting, as Pentax would say.

08-25-2010, 12:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good to hear that it worked out for you mate!

My own wedding is in 2 days, our photographer we are using is a good family friend and we have been to the location twice together and discussed in great detail on all the shots to get. Also he's shooting in raw and im doing all the pp myself.
I too will be taking my own pentax kit so i can set it up on tripod and use the remote for some of our shots.