Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

K10D at 6 months - ISO and Kelvin matters

This post was of result of the this forums previous thread about images showing high kelvin temps.

As a result of the notice that a new version of Silky Pix was available I downloaded it and ran a comparison of the kelvin temps of a pef from my K10D

My principal computer for editing is a WinXP Intel 1.8ghz Core Duo, 2gb memory, Nvidia Geforce 7000LE card feeding a Sony Triniton monitor and an Epson 2200 printer.

I took the PEF and converted it to a DNG using Adobes DNG converter. The PEF and DNG version showed the same kelvin temp in all the following tests:

All images were processed at the software's default conversion settings. No sharpening or Noise reduction was applied by me. The results are as follows:

Software Kelvin Temp.

Silky Pix 3.0 5908
Lightzone 6958
UFRaw Converter 7952

I could not test with PS or Lightroom as I only have PS7 and my Lightroom beta gave way to Lightzone.

My comparison of the images in the three tests showed no drastic differences in the processed image's appearance despite the temperature variations indicated by the software. Conclusion....don't worry just follow your eyes and taste.

The difference between a PEF conversion and DNG conversion did that Adobe's DNG is NOT completely neutral as to the DNG conversion process. The DNG had a very subtle decrease in saturation and contrast...and was to my taste in the right direction with respect to the default PEF version.

My attempt to illustrate falls short of seeing the images on a monitor, but the image below is an Epson jpeg (100%) scan of glossy 4x6 prints of the PEF (top) and DNG (bottom) printed from Silky Pix to the Epson 2200 at default color settings and at 2880dpi. The original monitor views were closer than what you see. Clearly the Epson scanner had its effect also...not the best or most scientific way but a least a clue.

The result of this test confirmed my choice of the K10D the EXIF data for the PEF reminded me just how good the K10D is despite all the comments about noise, auto focus, etc. etc.

This image was shot with my new C-V 90mm f3.5 APO Lanthar at f3.5, 1/30sec and ISO 1100.

Attached Images

09-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Kelvin Temps

David
Thanks for the repsonse regarding high kelvin temps. I shoot the Pentax using DNG format. The temps usually range from 6900 to 7250. At this point, I don't think there is anything I can do to change it. My D200 range in NEF is from 4900 to 5500 K. I believe it is just the way that the processor interprets and processes the image. The Pentax colors are good and vivid. I was just curious as to why and if anyone else noticed or knew why this happened. I'm just going to shoot and enjoy my K10D.
Thanks for the response

Ted
09-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I own the Samsung GX-10 so only use .DNG raw files - Kelvin temperatures display high just as the K10D. What I do notice is that "Tint" levels are always quite high too, perhaps this "counteracts" the high looking temperatures.

My previous "prosumer" camera rarely displayed a "tint" value above +12 & Kelvin was always pretty much as expected, normally between 5000/6000.

As mentioned though ultimately the final image colours are excellent so aslong as the end results work it doesn't really matter - just makes it a little trickier to use the temperature slider to adjust white balance if necessary

simon