Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2007, 04:00 AM   #46
Inactive Account

i dont really see what the big hype over this hype is haha! i love photography, i have many hobbies, but photography is way up there, if not on top of the list itself... photography is a lot of things for me, its fun, its therapeutic, its a creative outlet, its a social thing, its a quiet time thing, i could go on and on.... and which camera im using really dosent matter... fully manual, point and shoot digital, dslr... it makes no difference... the fact that i love my hobby remains the same.... now lets branch off into other aspects of the hobby.... i love talking about gear, old gear, new gear, current gear, all kinds of gear... new gear is very exciting... dslrs are really catching on... there not shunned by as many bleeding heart die hard film shooters anymore, there becoming more mainstream... there are entry level dslrs available, there more affordable so more people are using them, from the casual shooter to the die hard advanced armature... when something new comes out its fun to talk about, to speculate what its going to be... god knows we have guessed and guessed on this forum about what the k?d will be like haha.... (im thinking 12mp) anyways, the point is, this is a huge hobby with many aspects, whats wrong with enjoying them? if someone likes to spend a whole lot of time reading about the new specs on a dslr, and it makes it happy, more power to them! if they dont give a hoot whats coming out and shoot a 1000 shots a day and it makes them happy, more power to them! this is a wonderful hobby, everyones idea of the hobby is different... with many angles... if it makes you happy, then thats all that matters! so whats all this hype over the hype anyways? lol

08-30-2007, 07:27 AM   #47
Inactive Account

I believe people just like the philosophical discussions on occasion. It is a nice departure from equipment and technical discourses that are usually found on this forum.
08-30-2007, 07:30 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
this makes me think of the times when i feel like shooting 3200/smallsize/lowres/jpg on my ist*D

since then, I only shoot the K10D on work when I feel I want the resolution and the color balances to be there....

I find myself happier with the ist*D. However, I will always allow my business to buy the latest and greatest.
before I get whatever new body comes out this fall, I need to get some fast glass. I have none.

Regards
I understand your feelings about istD. I lately bought a K10. It's a little more of everything including size and of course won't work with my several dedicated Pentax flash units. The K10 in some ways is sort of like owning a long bed crew cab pickup. It has everything and is really nice, but it won't fit in the garage and when you get to Safeway it won't fit in the parking lot either.
08-30-2007, 08:06 PM   #49
Veteran Member

yeah

and its not beat up around the edges with over 200,000 shots on it like the ist*D which
hasn't skipped a beat yet. well, the built in flash is out and the video port to the tv doesnt work anymore....thats it. the only reason i sent it in to pentax was because my warrantee was up and i felt like i should.

that makes the ist*D the 'big boy' on the block because it knows its way around my hands. and has an indentation in my camera bag...right at home.

the k10d is the newcomer to my camera bag. still shiny and pretty......it has a different personality, too. i like it, but it still has about a year of proving itself to become 'one of the boys'

....im going to add another 540fgz and a 50-135 to the gang.

08-30-2007, 09:35 PM   #50
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
I believe people just like the philosophical discussions on occasion. It is a nice departure from equipment and technical discourses that are usually found on this forum.
yes, there is alot of philosophy to be found in the discussion of photography... I guess thats why this thread is so popular
08-31-2007, 05:29 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
thnx for sharing that ' chrisman '.....just supports the addage that sometimes, less IS more.......
09-01-2007, 07:13 PM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I think Michael C. Johnston (of The Luminous Landscape) pretty much nailed it with his essay The Magic Bullet.
Thanks for posting this article Matt: I had read it some time ago but had not downloaded it. So now I have!

The article certainly bares rereading every time you get a bad case of "The technology will fix everything syndrome"!

Michael C. Johnston is a very smart man and a darn good writer.

Thanks again.