Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2010, 11:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Scratching my head on haze/halo on telephoto images

Hi everyone,
I've been playing with my 55-300mm alot today, but I can't seem to scratch my head around this one. When I take images on the telephoto end, it seems nearly impossible for me to get a sharp image. My shutter speeds are high enough and I'm pretty certain that I am steady enough to eliminate most camera shake, but this is the result.

Here is an example of it:
Taken at 1/320, f5.6, ISO 800 at 260mm

Slightly frustrated, and I would like to learn the science behind this to avoid it in the future.

Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55095257@N00/4925357357/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55095257@N00/4925950932/in/photostream/

Last edited by 0rangepeel; 08-25-2010 at 02:37 AM.
08-25-2010, 02:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't see the pictures. Only the message that the photo is currently unavailable. But perhaps you use a filter of some kind?
08-25-2010, 02:36 AM   #3

Original Poster
First shot had no filters on top, just a hood.

Second one had a B+W circular polarizer, no hood, but the shutter speed was set to 1/1000.
08-25-2010, 03:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

My suggestion:

Before you worry about what's wrong with your gear set it up on a tripod and take a picture giving your gear every advantage - optimal f stop, shutter speed iso etc.

If it still gives you bad pictures then worry about bad gear.

08-25-2010, 06:43 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

It's probably air pollution or atmospheric haze.
Vancouver doesn't have the cleanest air.
08-25-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Listen to Wildman & Wheatfield.
08-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you click on the links below the images, you can see them on flickr.

The first image looks almost like a decentering issue or something. The bottom left corner is all smudy while the rest isn't. Something odd going on there.

The second looks like a very soft lens. I notice you are using f/5.6 for that one (I think, you only said the exif for one and its not listed on flickr). f/5.6 at near 300mm is going to give you a very small depth of field. So, some of the image won't be sharp because it is out of the focal plane. This image looks a lot like what my 18-55mm looks like at 55mm f/5.6 and taking a photo of something near me.

Either way, you should test the lens out on a tripod, f/10 and a decent shutter speed. Make sure the focus is set precisely or use manual focus to get it to focus correctly. Then we can see if its the lens, or camera focus system or what.

08-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Clicking the links below the images and then clicking through to get the full size versions, the first image has pretty obvious camera shake, plus it appears to have been very smoggy. Hard to tell where focus was given those facts, but if you tried to focus on the moon (as it appears you might have), that would explain the foreground being less than optimally sharp. Second one might also have a little shake despite the shutter speed, but is more obviously not focused anywhere in particular, and shooting ISO 1600 didn't help. Nor did shooting wide open aperture.

Both are indeed very disappointing, but as Wildman suggests, rather than try to draw conclusions from these images, better to try to set up a more controlled test.
08-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 0rangepeel Quote
Hi everyone,
I've been playing with my 55-300mm alot today, but I can't seem to scratch my head around this one. When I take images on the telephoto end, it seems nearly impossible for me to get a sharp image. My shutter speeds are high enough and I'm pretty certain that I am steady enough to eliminate most camera shake, but this is the result.

Here is an example of it:
Taken at 1/320, f5.6, ISO 800 at 260mm

Slightly frustrated, and I would like to learn the science behind this to avoid it in the future.

Thanks
I want to emphasize one thing already suggested to you: the da55-300mm is an excellent consumer zoom but f5.6 at the long end will look always weak compared to f8. Always try to close the aperture at least one full stop from its minimum with this lens for good results. If THAT does not give you pleasing shots then please repost a couple shot in decent light or tripod and we will start again.
09-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Not 100% certain but i believe shots that are far away like the background in your second picture will have a haze to it due to atmosphere. its the same as taking binoculars and looking through them, if something is a long distance away it tends to get hazed especially in humid or city conditions. just a thought.
09-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think there is more then one thing is going on in these photos but the second one definitely has a lot of motion blur. Look at the front of the boat where the black hull and the white top meet. You line between then is clean but above the white is blurry. About the only way this can happen is motion blur. Black will not smear into any other color but white can smear into any (including black) color. If the motion is from white to black you get a hard edge. Just about any other thing that causes blurring is usually all around the white.

DAZ