Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #1

Football photography

Bear with me, I'm a newbie. The main reason I bought my K-x is to take football pics of my kids. One son has a scrimmage tomorrow, so I want to practice. I'm in the middle of reading Understanding Exposure, so I'm not shooting on manual yet.

I was wondering for now if you can give me some ideas what settings I should shoot at for tomorrow. Should I just put it in action mode? If it makes any difference I have the kit lens and the Tamron AF 70-300.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate any pointers!

08-27-2010, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will definitely want to use the 70-300mm, and sure, use action mode. That will tell the camera to focus on using a high shutter speed, so that the action is frozen in your photographs.

I do have one further suggestion, however: since the Tamron 70-300mm has a relatively slow aperture (F4-5.6), I suggest you increase the ISO to 400 or even 800. That way, your photos won't appear blurred should their not happen to be enough light.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Adam! I'm so excited to finally get some good shots!
08-27-2010, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I have shot many a football game (ok, mostly it was the ISU marching band, not the actual games wrapped around their performances...) with my K100D and Promaster (Tamron) 70-300. In addition to higher ISO, the best thing you'll be able to do for better pictures is shoot with a support. I was able to bring a good solid monopod into the stadium, and it helps tremendously for getting good shots. I have the Bogen/Manfrotto 680B with a tilt head (can't recall the modfel number off the top of my head), but I used to use just an extendible walking stick with a fixed screw-mount in place of the handgrip knob, and that worked too.

Jim

08-27-2010, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kmets Quote
Bear with me, I'm a newbie. The main reason I bought my K-x is to take football pics of my kids. One son has a scrimmage tomorrow, so I want to practice. I'm in the middle of reading Understanding Exposure, so I'm not shooting on manual yet.

I was wondering for now if you can give me some ideas what settings I should shoot at for tomorrow. Should I just put it in action mode? If it makes any difference I have the kit lens and the Tamron AF 70-300.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate any pointers!
Daytime or nighttime? If it's nighttime, you'll have a hard time. High school stadium lighting is terrible for photography. Just crank up the ISO to 3200 and shoot with the 70-300. If it's daytime, you'll be fine.
08-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
It's daytime, so I'm good there! Thanks for all the advice!
08-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Keep the shutter speed up as high as you can 1/250 minimum. open aperture wide open. yes crank up ISO 400-1600 depending on the light available.
Hard part is learning to predict where the action is going and being ready for it. Of course if you are on one side of the field the action will naturally go away from you.
If you are on the sidelines move with the action, staying 5-10 yards in front of the action as it will be easier to get the players moving towards you.
Good luck and keep on shooting. I shot 500 shots at a youth game just yesterday. fun times

Last edited by Scottnorwo; 08-29-2010 at 01:58 PM.
08-31-2010, 06:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice Scott. The team I was photographing is maroon and white also .

I have to say, I'm very happy I got the 300mm zoom instead of the 200mm. My husband ditched me and I didn't want to leave all my stuff laying unattended, so I stayed in one spot and played around with some shots. By looking at them, I figured out where I need to be to get the best shots.

Saturday is the first game so I will be walking the sidelines (always do anyways, since I get too into the game and can't sit and watch!) and get better shots.
08-31-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kmets Quote
My husband ditched me and I didn't want to leave all my stuff laying unattended, so I stayed in one spot and played around with some shots.
I don't mean to pry but I just wanted to say that any man who abandons a Pentax camera is not worth keeping!

Last edited by JohnBee; 09-08-2010 at 01:40 AM.
08-31-2010, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #10
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Just remember when the action gets going and your kid is about to score or make a big play keep shooting. I have missed way to many shots cheering for my kids at good moments. I guess that is the price you pay when you get into the game too much. but it is fun
09-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #11

Original Poster
That is going to be tough for me, I get very into the game! I think i'm going to go down and get some shots of our peewee teams first game tonight. 7 and 8 year olds should be fun to watch.

I'm getting nervous about first game Saturday. After being in 90's all week, Saturday is a high of 60 with 40% chance of rain. I can be cold, but NO rain!!
09-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I don't mean to pry but I just wanted to say that any mean who abandons a Pentax camera is not worth keeping!
09-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #13

Original Poster
Got some much better shots of the peewee's tonight. I was much closer, able to move around and get some good ones. I got a great one of a mom and her daughter (yes she plays!) and I really liked it so I sent it to the mom on facebook. She has already tagged it to family members, made it her profile pic, and asked for full size file. That made me feel great to be able to give that to her! Was it perfect...no. But she loved it and that is all that matters!
09-04-2010, 06:20 AM   #14

Original Poster
I'm so excited! Our area has a website covering sports for the whole county. They request you send any photos in, so I sent in my peewee shots. One of my tackle shots is on the front page of the website!!
09-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Very cool and congrats.
Any chance of posting a few here?