Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

Any tips for sunset photography with among the last of the Kodachrome 64 rolls?

Hi everyone!

I just got my hands on 4 rolls of the nearly extinct Kodachrome 64 ($17.99 a pop!). I wanted to say that I was among the last people who shot this beautiful film. I'm taking a day trip to Palo Duro Canyon Park in West Texas during the Labor Day weekend and I'm going to make every shot count (two rolls are for the K1000 and two are to be shot with my Soviet Kiev 4am).

After that lovely weekend, I'll send them off to Dwayne's Photo and have them processed and get a CD with the scanned slides so I can share them with you all!. *Sigh*

I've gone off on a tangent and I probably sound like a nostalgic "old timer" even though I'm 29 (it doesn't hurt to be retro! ). Does anyone have tips for shooting a lovely sunset with ISO 64 film?

Last edited by TexasLangGenius; 08-28-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: To add a little more to what I had to say.
08-29-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I haven't shot slide film in quite a while, but I used to underexpose by 1/3 stop so as not to blow out any highlights. Also, meter the sky without including the sun to set exposure. The sky changes rapidly at sunrises and sunsets, so meter frequently and bracket any "must haves".
08-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TexasLangGenius Quote
Hi everyone!

I just got my hands on 4 rolls of the nearly extinct Kodachrome 64 ($17.99 a pop!). I wanted to say that I was among the last people who shot this beautiful film. I'm taking a day trip to Palo Duro Canyon Park in West Texas during the Labor Day weekend and I'm going to make every shot count (two rolls are for the K1000 and two are to be shot with my Soviet Kiev 4am).

After that lovely weekend, I'll send them off to Dwayne's Photo and have them processed and get a CD with the scanned slides so I can share them with you all!. *Sigh*

I've gone off on a tangent and I probably sound like a nostalgic "old timer" even though I'm 29 (it doesn't hurt to be retro! ). Does anyone have tips for shooting a lovely sunset with ISO 64 film?
I’ve also got some Kodachrome in the freezer, saving them for a trip later this fall. Dwayne’s is going to be pretty busy later this year, when the Kodachrome processing “deadline” approaches!

I would recommend a skylight filter for all regular shooting of Kodachrome 64 and maybe a tripod for your sunset pictures. Other than that just bracket important shots and enjoy the experience of shooting the best colour film ever produced!!

Phil.
08-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you two for the tips! More are welcome from others, by the way, as I part for Palo Duro Saturday morning!

I also purchased a 35-70 F3.5-4.5 SMC Pentax-A wide angle lens just to take part in this little moment in photographic history (wide angle shots are a must for photographing a canyon scene!). I'll be sure to drop by the camera shop and pick up the skylight filters.

I've also scouted places around Lubbock to photograph, and to my disappointment they took down the Buddy Holly statue because they had to fix a nearby fountain. It would have been cool to take a picture of that in Kodachrome; at least there's a huge mural of him on 19th Street. There are a lot of cool vintage buildings around the city, too.

I need to choose my subjects carefully!

Last edited by TexasLangGenius; 08-29-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Minor grammatical errors.
08-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you do not alrerady own a skylight filter and this is the only time you will shoot slide film, the I would skip getting one. If you are planning to continue to shoot slide film then make the skylight investment.
Phil
08-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I actually plan to continue shooting slide film even after Kodachrome vanishes forever (and even after I buy a Pentax DSLR). After reading about Kodachrome, I got really interested in slide film; heck, I didn't even know that there was a difference between certain kinds of films until recently. I thought there was only black and white and color film with no differences.

Again, thank you.
08-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good to hear, I only shoot film and most of that is slide film. (B&W and colour)
Phil.
08-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

After reading about Kodachrome, I got really interested in slide film; heck, I didn't even know that there was a difference between certain kinds of films until recently. I thought there was only black and white and color film with no differences.
For B&W kicks, try copy / ortho film, litho film, infrared film, etc.
For 'chrome kicks, look for high-intensity, infrared, outdated, etc.
For color-print kicks, try outdated film and cross-processing.
For even more kicks, coat stuff with photosensitive emulsions.

Load 6x6 or 6x9 boxes / folders with 135 for sprocket-hole panos.
Use print paper as film in oatmeal-box pinhole pano cameras.
WARNING: all this may lead to DBA (darkroom-building addiction).

08-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
LOL RioRico.

Unfortunately, my apartment is so small that I have to step out of it to change my mind; and I can't afford darkroom equipment. This might be a good thing, since I'm a "poor, starving" graduate student that plans his budget wisely to feed his addiction/hobby while paying the bills at the same time. I'm kidding about being poor, of course; Texas Tech pays a handsome stipend to me as a Graduate Part-Time Instructor of French.

I have, however, converted my closet into kind of a darkroom so I can load and unload film in and out my grandfather's old Kodak Brownie Target Six-16 (I modified it to take 120 film) and get the maximum exposures out of each roll. I'll probably do that when loading the Kodachrome, too.

Film really forces you to compose the picture! And I think that it's a MUCH better way of beginning photography than just going out to buy a digital camera, pointing and shooting and just getting occasional good pictures.

BTW, I just ordered some Hoya sky filters for the K1000's lenses for dirt cheap and in excellent condition at keh.com. They'll be here in time for Palo Duro! I'll have to live with shooting without filters on my Kiev, though.

Last edited by TexasLangGenius; 08-29-2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: To add just a little bit more that came to mind.
08-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I had the last few rolls of Kodachrome on earth, I would use them for controlled set-up scenes, and not sunsets:

It just seems too risky to use this magic stuff on something so fleeting as sunsets, and possibly not all that inspiring in the first place. Most sunsets suck.

To each his own, but I would do outside portrait stuff that is carefully set up, including the time of day. Kodachrome 64 is like a fairy's pixie dust, and while I don't think it matched the glory of Kodachrome 25, it was damn close.

Have fun with it, but please use it wisely. I almost have a tear dripping down my cheek thinking about all of the rolls of it I shot since the early 70s.

Last edited by Ira; 08-30-2010 at 01:40 PM.
08-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I need to choose my subjects carefully!
I just noticed this part of your post now, and in respect to my post above, you seem to have been on the right track all along.

GOOD LUCK!!!
09-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Whew! Palo Duro canyon was a trip! I spent 4 hours going around the park snapping only ONE roll, choosing my subjects as carefully as I could (one of them was a vintage B-17 in flight I got with my telephoto lens! I can't wait to see how that turned out!). I didn't get to shoot any of the roll I had loaded into in my Kiev rangefinder, but I'll be snapping that roll soon (the Kiev is better as a still-life camera, I find).

If any of you want to see a few pictures of the canyon I took with my digital camera, take a look at my flickr page:

Flickr: TexasLangGenius' Photostream

There are also a few shots from a test roll I took with my Kiev when I first got it to test for light leaks. I'll post pictures I took with my K1000 whenever I get the time.