Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 07:20 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Reportage: So are you saying they shouldn't had launched the K-x, but "refine" it instead? In fact, by your logic never launch anything - just "refine"?
They're doing exactly this: making the products as good as they can (giving reasonable constraints, including time to market).
Btw, how do you know their unannounced products are "unrefined"?

09-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
so you are saying to launch them anyway irregardless even if Pentax can refine the cameras if given more time? Its not a matter of catch up, its a matter of making the product as best as it can be. doesnt hurt if as a by product it has unique features or better in some aspects then the competition.
I don't get you. Do you have any inside information on the new cameras which make you think they are underwhelming? Because there's hardly any reason to be worried based on the current rumors.

In fact, there's all reason to be cheerful. Compared to the boring lot of cameras announced so far, the rumored K-5 seems almost ideal. The K-r is harder to judge, but I'm so far very optimistic.
09-01-2010, 07:27 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The hardware is what it is, but there is certainly nothing to stop Pentax from releasing some real firmware updates after the fact that help with whatever issues there are with the cameras that haven't been announced yet...

Pentax can't change the hardware until the next generation of camera comes out. There is way too much work that has already gone into these cameras to start fiddling with it. No sense delaying for what is a non hardware issue.
less then a month to go...i really hope the new offerings can make me upgrade from my K20D.

i skipped the K7, hopefully there is no reason to skip the next one.
09-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Gazonk: He has no such information. He's just overly impressed by a certain entry level camera, I don't understand why.
While the new products won't be able to satisfy everyone (which one does?), there is no reason to be worried - and it's absurd to believe Pentax should not launch now.

09-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Gazonk: He has no such information. He's just overly impressed by a certain entry level camera, I don't understand why.
Well. The KISS picture says it all for me
09-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I just ordered and E-PL1 to compliment my E-P2 would not be investing in a Pentax competitor at this point.
You wouldn't drop m4/3 if Pentax released a micro mount camera that could AF current lenses? I would be happy with auto aperture via an adapter. Granted I do like m4/3 and would keep the e-pl1, 9-18mm, 20mm and oly 70-300mm regardless.
09-01-2010, 07:38 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Reportage: So are you saying they shouldn't had launched the K-x, but "refine" it instead? In fact, by your logic never launch anything - just "refine"?
They're doing exactly this: making the products as good as they can (giving reasonable constraints, including time to market).
Btw, how do you know their unannounced products are "unrefined"?
and how do you know they are the final product?

having touched and used the Kx myself and comparing with my K20D as well as other DSLR, cant help but feel a few things that was supposed to be in was left out due to time constraint, targeted pricing for the market segment and Pentax made the best of it.

cant confirm it but i do think the KX could have seriously attracted the K7`s targeted market segment and affected sales.

for those in the manufacturing industry, should be no stranger to the above.

09-01-2010, 07:41 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
The pre-Photokina announcements up till now are not that great. The D3100 is only interesting because it seems that Nikon now produce their own sensors. The 60D is just a cheaper 7D or a more featured 550D. The A33/A55 are stopgap cameras because I don't see any future for that type of camera. Now that Fuji showed that you can do PD-AF from the sensor, the pellicle mirror is a technology dead-end (and it appears that Canon, Sony etc have all patents about a similar system than Fuji). It will be again a blip in camera history, not a new paradigm like the DSLR had been 60 years ago.
Agreed! The d3100 is only getting positive interest because the camera it is replacing was a total turd. The 60d seems like a slight to current owners (though it does make sense at a competitive level with nikon and their respective model lineups). I do think the a33/55 are interesting, but as with all new tech I wouldn't want to be first. At the same time, m4/3 didn't look too interesting when the Panasonic G1 came out, but it has also evolved into an interesting, compact system.
09-01-2010, 07:43 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
and how do you know they are the final product?

having touched and used the Kx myself and comparing with my K20D as well as other DSLR, cant help but feel a few things that was supposed to be in was left out due to time constraint, targeted pricing for the market segment and Pentax made the best of it.

cant confirm it but i do think the KX could have seriously attracted the K7`s targeted market segment and affected sales.

for those in the manufacturing industry, should be no stranger to the above.
I think there are probably alot of K-x owners out there who would disagree!

I see alot more posts around here talking about upgrading the K-x kit lens over discussions of whether the K-x or K-7 should be bought.
09-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
While the new products won't be able to satisfy everyone (which one does?), there is no reason to be worried - and it's absurd to believe Pentax should not launch now.
They should launch when they are ready to launch. Just my opinion.

and you are right, i am impressed by that low end camera. Although the price is somewhat low, its giving semi-pro features...much like the K20D when it was launched.
09-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spag Quote
This thread just doesn't make sense...
The initial post makes me puke.....
I saw a lot of "the sky is falling" posts, but that one is the worst.
+1

And this post does not belong to this forum - neither news or rumors.
Just someone with no confidence in pentax.
09-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Reportage: You're not making any sense. Pentax has a schedule; the products will be ready accordingly (announcement at/before Photokina, product on the market not long after).
You've just decided by yourself that products you know nothing about will not be "ready", thus they should be postponed. Go buy that perfect Sony of yours, and be happy.

I'd say this thread should be closed.
09-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Pentax is not going to pull a Duke Nukem Forever with their cameras. It's just not gonna happen. They'll release what they've got and work harder to find a niche next time.

You might as well ask, "What if they decide they'll always be behind and switch to building washing machines?"
09-01-2010, 08:19 AM   #44
Nubi

You know, they have ax'ed a product that was close to launch and reportedly wasted millions in the process. Remember that one??
09-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
You know, they have ax'ed a product that was close to launch and reportedly wasted millions in the process. Remember that one??
Should be MZ-D