Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2006, 08:24 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Digital Camera magazine---it rules!

Don't know if we have any UK members here, but here in the states I discovered Digital Camera World at a Borders bookstore. It's $13.99 an issue because of the cd-rom they include (that is loaded w/ 100 hrs of photoshop tutorials) but the rest of the mag is completely different from anything we have state-side.

It's essentially made for people like us, who are expanding their skills. They will have a awesome photo and tell YOU how to do it in the simplest and easiest way possible. No matter what gear you have. They are always explaining techniques, they have monthly photo contests that are just gorgeous. They have reviews (but not heavy on reviews like Pop. Photo and others) and they have neat tips and tricks for people who aren't loaded w/ cash (the Oct. issue featured stuff like making your own camera poncho, reflectors, diffuser filters, etc). Yes there's a lot of C*non and N*kon in it but they don't talk about why they're so great and blah blah. The current issue on newstands had an unfavorable rating of the K100D, but when you read the review they honestly have nothing but good things to say about it (and IMO they're reviewing it awfully late now that the K10D is out). They just bemoaned the 6mp and the price compared to other dSLR's w/ more mp on the market (like the A100). But I can over look that, the mag really shines in it's articles about techniques and how the amateur/novice/intermediate can achieve them. I can't find anything USA-made that comes close.

I love the mag and despite it's price i'm going to try to score the subscription for X-mas maybe.

Here's their site:
Digital Camera Magazine

12-01-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sky I agree 100%. I made mention awile ago about photo mags people read. I have to say I to ( here in the US) really have found a few UK mags that I am spending $12-$14 @ Barnes and Noble every month. That one Digitail Camera, other include (forgive me at work and may mess up the name a bit) Practical Photographer, Digitial Photographer, and there is another one or two but I can't remeber. I feal the UK mags are more on helping the average Joe and less on selling the other big names.

PS. Now if I could just find one single magazine that talked about Paint Shop Pro as apposed to Photo Shop I would be a happy camper
12-01-2006, 08:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
Isn't it great? I just find it useful, and I tend to read mags more cover to cover than books so I think it's a better learning tool in that respect since it isn't so verbose.

Did you know you can get a subscription from amazon.com for the mag? (I think you can off their site too, dunno if it's more money or if it's the same price--$116 for 13 issues) My friend has the subscription and rubs it in my face, they take all the ads/ taglines off the front of the mag too.

I really despise Pop.Photo. and a lot of the other mags here in the US either: a., are geared to professionals w/ deep pockets or b., just huge advertisements on every page. And then there are the mags that just showcase professional photographers and talk nothing about cameras or techniques.
12-01-2006, 08:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

hmm... interesting one of them I was looking at, can't remeber which one I think it was like $145 US D for the subscription. I'l have to check it out. You know I have never opened one of the cd's that come with it. But this months one is about using Curves and I think I will give it a look. again I am a PSPXI user but they all are simular in one way or another.

12-04-2006, 10:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

comes with a 100hr photoshop tutorials cd/dvd?! wow! I think I know someone who could really benifit from this.
12-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Another UK publication that I've come to look forward to is 'Digital Photo'. First saw one at my local Fry's Electroinics and picked it up because it came with a CD-ROM and "looked interesting". It was the June issue from last year. The enclosed CD included quite a few video presentations on various articles in that issue, one of which was a fairly through presentation of ProShow Gold. I made a quicky slide presentation DVD, liked it, and purchased the full version.

The last issue that Border's carried has calendar templates for 2007. Got that issue and am currently making a calendar for family members with their children's pictures on them. It'll make a wonderful gift for Christmas.

Loving both 'Digital Photo' and 'Digital Camera World'. You fellows across the 'pond' are doing a good job with your monthly camera magazines.