Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2007, 02:49 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Anyone use JUST primes for Weddings and Portraits

The last two weddings, engagement shoots and the last 3 portrait shoots have all been done using the 21mm limited, 43mm limited and 77mm limited.

I love the primes. I have sold the 77mm and am getting the 70mm pancake....I really would like a PENTAX rangefinder (ala Leica or Lumix) that we could use these lenses on. Imagine a rangefinder like the leica, only at a price "normal" people can afford.

What are your experiences shooting weddings with only primes. Any experiences you want to share? How about posting some photos?

08-31-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you think these work best for weddings? I have been thinking about doing weddings and thought primes, but a lot of people now recommend zooms. I thought the 43, 77 and maybe the D FA 100 for weddings. I didn't consider something as wide as the 21.
08-31-2007, 03:18 PM   #3

Well, I had a situation where I was doing an LDS wedding in San Diego at the LDS temple there....very tall steeples, beautiful building. Unfortunately, the 21mm would not cover it. So I will be purchasing a 14mm prime.

I like the feel of the camera with a prime. And I think many photogs would agree that they FORCE you to THINK about your photos.

Check out www.photography.byeric.com

All of the photos on that page were taken with either a 77mm, 21mm or 43mm lens.

I just got the 40mm and I really like it. Thinking about the 14mm, a 31mm and 70mm. 100mm Macro looks nice too.

If I tried doing this with a leica, it would cost me $30K
08-31-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tend to do my weddings on zooms because cool things can happen while you're changing lenses. Not that it would happen often, but....

Portraits I use primes mostly. I love putting on the 50mm f1.4 and forcing myself to compose with my feet, ladders, chairs, laying on the floor, whatever it takes.

Overall, forcing yourself to use only zooms or only primes closes many doors. I think it is good to be comfortable with both, for each has it's strengths. That said, I do like to use primes whenever possible.

08-31-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I like it.

If missing the magic moment is a concern...

K100D bodies are so cheap after rebate right now. About $350. So mount a lens on a couple and you are set.
08-31-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's what I've been doing. Primary camera was a K10D and secondary was the K110D. Generally a zoom was on the K110 I was using an FA 28-70 f4 which is a great lens but recently switched to a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 Di (outstanding lens in all respects and faster). Always found switching from one body to the other a bit of a drawback as I miss the hyperprogram not being on the K110D. So I've added a second K10D. Primes on one and zoom on the other. Usually the FA 35 f2, 43mm, FA 50 f1.4 (great if the church is dark and a decent portrait length) and the 77mm. I also carry the Sigma 12-24 for the ocassional wide shots outside the church etc but it isn't used that much.
09-01-2007, 08:40 AM   #7

Original Poster
Two K10D's and a Nikon

I've actually decided to Purchase a D80 from B&H, since they're at a decent price now ($824) for a body.

Then, using LENSRENTALS.COM I can rent whatever zoom lens I need for a wedding depending on what lens I need.

Eventually I might be able to get a D300 or something, but for now, I am in love with the look that the PENTAX primes give me.

But for walking around the wedding, taking shots of the couple and anything closeup, I will contime to use my K10D and primes.

It would be nice if PENTAX lenses were more readily available...but that's another thread

09-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxshooter Quote
The last two weddings, engagement shoots and the last 3 portrait shoots have all been done using the 21mm limited, 43mm limited and 77mm limited.

I love the primes. I have sold the 77mm and am getting the 70mm pancake....I really would like a PENTAX rangefinder (ala Leica or Lumix) that we could use these lenses on. Imagine a rangefinder like the leica, only at a price "normal" people can afford.

What are your experiences shooting weddings with only primes. Any experiences you want to share? How about posting some photos?
I was the photographer at a wedding last summer. I shot the pre-ceremony and ceremony portion of the wedding using mostly f2.8 zooms.

For the formal portrait sessions right after the ceremony I used mainly the 31/43/77 FA Limiteds. I had multiple bodies with a lens attached to each and "zoomed" by simply swapping bodies - a very effective technique, and one that I recommend you try.

I also used the FA85/2.8 Soft for some of the portraits. Very cool lens if you ever get a chance to use it. I find f6.7 about the right amount of softness for my taste with this lens.
09-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I did my first wedding recently and I had my girlfriend help me with my friends K100D. I only changed lense once and found out that too much goes by when doing that. And with 50mm (or whatever) on you're not that flexible. Primes are good when you go to location to make portraits, family shots...
09-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I shoot almost exclusively with primes. I use a Dejur 135/f2.8 for almost everything, it's my "walk around" lense. I also have a Ricoh 50/f2 that I also have used for a walk around, depending on situation. Lastly, I have a Ricoh 28/2.8 that I use on occasion, it's good for macro work. I purchased a Pentax SMC 35-70/3.5-4.5 and have used it a little, it's also the only autofocus lense I have. When I use it, I tend to forget that it's a zoom lense, and almost never shoot with it on autofocus, I forget when switching. Lastly, I have not been happy with its sharpness past about 50mm zoomed in, so I tried selling it here and it didn't move so now it's sitting around my desk.....I'd like to sell it and put the money towards a better flash.

I think using primes helps me because it lets me stay at a lower ISO, compared to the other photogs. My 135 and 50 were my main lenses at the few weddings I've shot, and they've worked great. Not to mention, manual focus primes are dirt cheap!! Th 135 is my favorite lense of all time so far, and I got it for $25 from B&H.
09-01-2007, 09:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxshooter Quote
Anyone use JUST primes for Weddings and Portraits

Weddings, no. Portraits, yes. As others have said, far too much going on at weddings for the additional worry of having the right lens on the camera at a given moment or changing lenses at the right moment. Of course, since I don't have the energy or patience anymore (my hat off to those who do), I haven't done a wedding in years and probably will never do so again. I also don't do many portraits (my rates are high), but it's always a prime when I do. In fact, all are done using a film-based Mamiya 645 with slight telephoto attached (that combination of format, film, lens, filters, and lighting is my signiture).

stewart
09-03-2007, 07:14 PM   #12

Original Poster
Took the Zoom Dive!!

I just ordered the 50-135mm. I hope PENTAX releases a new pro-level body that competes with the Canon 40D.

I decided not to get the D80.....and spent the $999 on the lens......

Now, I cant wait to shoot a wedding with it.
09-05-2007, 02:16 AM   #13

I use FA35mm a lot but you simply have to use zoom as you need to be ready for different situations. I have my 16-45mm, 35mm, 50mm and 135mm with me and change them as I go and need them.
09-05-2007, 09:34 PM   #14
Forum Member

Excellent move...........That lens looks perfect for church
09-05-2007, 09:46 PM   #15
Forum Member

I'm curious........

Does anyone worry about ccd dust when running around a wedding swapping primes?

I've got the usual Super Taks 50, 105, 135 and a SMC A 50 1.7. I even bought a split focus screen and practiced 2 weeks in advance. After all that I chickened out and on my K100 used the 18-55 kit for informals and reception, the el-cheapo Tamron 70-300 on a tripod during the service while my wife used the K10 wt Tamron 28-75 f2.8. We used the K10 wt Tamron for formals which was perfect because once the umbrellas were set, the tripod was set, I could zoom in and out depending on how many people were in the shot. I didn't have to move. I changed lense twice. once to put on the tele zoom and once more to put the kit lense back on. my wife didn't change lenses at all. I have yet to find any spots to heal in post.

I'll have to admit. Way too much stuff going on to play around with the primes.

Chuck