Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2010, 06:39 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Shooting NYC

I live just outside Manhattan and im heading down there tomorrow for the day to shoot some stuff. im working on a project for someone so im looking to get wide shots of the skyline if i can, im still a noob so any suggestions even though they may be obvious to some would help. Thanks in advance!

09-10-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good place for skyline shots is at that park where you catch the ferry to go to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty in New Jersey (I forgot the name of the park). Anyway, that walkway along the water there, perfect view of the lower Manhattan skyline.
09-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

not to infer that you will get into trouble with the police but you may wish to read the NYC relevant posts in the attached thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/gatherings-photo-trips-groups/60281-photo...trictions.html
09-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Three words, Brooklyn Bridge Park.

Brooklyn Bridge Park | Brooklyn Bridge Park

Go there at 4-5AM if you can wake up on time. View is spectacular.

09-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Makes sense, because looking at the skyline, the sun would be behind you, right? Really illuminating it with sunrise glow.
09-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Mel- Liberty State Park is the name of the park on the Jersey side. Just keep in mind that tomorrow is Sept. 11 and there will be tons of security, street closings, etc. around lower Manhattan. I suggest you check online and plan around that. In the past, they've also had spotlights thrust into the sky to commemorate the day...not sure if that's going to happen with the reconstruction under way.

Governor's island also has interesting wide points of view. Not sure if it's still open to the public though, but there's a free ferry there from Battery park.

Depending on the weather, you may want to take a polarizing filter and hood to deal with reflections off of skyscrapers etc.

What part of Jersey are you coming from?
09-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
mel
Veteran Member

Brooklyn Bridge itself as well as the park. But yeah, the park.

09-11-2010, 05:47 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks a lot guys! i know brooklyn bridge park is a sick spot and ill be defiantly spend some time there today.