Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you consider the photography of some of the icons, they applied their craft over decades, thousands and thousands of photos. This in part for the technical feedback to see what works and doesn't work technically - so technical decisions become second nature - but also for the artistic or communicative feedback. The photographer, if conscious, will see light and composition better, and put the vision together with technical choices better.

(This assumes the photog is paying attention and has the intent to improve in whatever areas.)

The above is analogous to a musician's practice - technical, and with their teacher(s) and colleagues, artistic. So that the musician can put technical ability in the service of art.

However, there's also a big diffrence: an integral part of photography is the ruthless selection and winnowing down of those thousands of shots. Here is the other area where practice and artistic vision is implemented in photography.

Us duffers don't do that bit so well even if we got some of the other stuff right.

09-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #17

10,000 Hours

This brings to mind the work of K. Anders Ericsson, who developed the concept of the "10,000 hour rule" made popular by Malcolm Gladwell in Outliers. Studying concert violinists, Ericsson concluded that getting good at anything requires about 10,000 hours - not just scales (i.e. 'practice') but performing that task. From wikipedia:

"A common theme that appears throughout Outliers is the "10,000-Hour Rule", based on a study by Anders Ericsson. Gladwell claims that greatness requires enormous time, using the source of The Beatles' musical talents and Gates' computer savvy as examples.[3] The Beatles performed live in Hamburg, Germany over 1,200 times from 1960 to 1964, amassing more than 10,000 hours of playing time, therefore meeting the 10,000-Hour Rule. Gladwell asserts that all of the time The Beatles spent performing shaped their talent, "so by the time they returned to England from Hamburg, Germany, 'they sounded like no one else. It was the making of them.'"[3] Gates met the 10,000-Hour Rule when he gained access to a high school computer in 1968 at the age of 13, and spent 10,000 hours programming on it.[3]

In Outliers, Gladwell interviews Gates, who says that unique access to a computer at a time when they were not commonplace helped him succeed. Without that access, Gladwell states that Gates would still be "a highly intelligent, driven, charming person and a successful professional", but that he might not be worth US$50 billion.[3] Gladwell explains that reaching the 10,000-Hour Rule, which he considers the key to success in any field, is simply a matter of practicing a specific task that can be accomplished with 20 hours of work a week for 10 years. He also notes that he himself took exactly 10 years to meet the 10,000-Hour Rule, during his brief tenure at The American Spectator and his more recent job at The Washington Post.[2]"

Jeez, I better take some pictures today...
09-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
I am guessing that if photographers were to apply themselves the way that concert pianists do, we’d see an amazing amount of killer photography.

What do you take that sentence to mean, then?
Two posts earlier:

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
The post says:

I often wonder what would happen if photographers would practice their craft hours and hours and hours a day like the concert pianists do.

I didn't take it as him saying sit at home and fiddle with your camera for hours, I take it as saying spending the same kind of time and using the same determination to take great photos. He doesn't mention creative vision anywhere.
09-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #19
Forum Member

All art is subjective to each person.

I apply this to motorcycle riding, I LOVE going through the twistys and leaning my bike- feeling the throttle rip. BUT, it took me sooooo many hours of riding, to finally drag knee (a sort of cornerstone for sport riders). I took a 3 month break from riding due to a crash (4 months ago), and I am now relearning everything- learning to trust myself and my bike again.

I do practice at least 3-4 times a week with my Pentax, I try to find a way to break the mold each time- trying different angles, using lighting a bit differently- and just as important- learning my camera's settings (iso, shutter, aperture). There are days I don't feel like shooting, and because I don't want my art to become a hassle or obligation, I just kick back and relax- but my eye always looks for something new to capture later.

In our art, because it is soooo widely open to interpretation- practice may never make perfect- but practice, I believe will help you better translate your thoughts/creativity into your photos.

09-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
For me, knowing the equipment to the level of intuitive use, i.e. in the dark without reference to the controls etc is a great advantage.

Otherwise "F8 and be there".
09-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
For me, knowing the equipment to the level of intuitive use, i.e. in the dark without reference to the controls etc is a great advantage.

Otherwise "F8 and be there".
Actually not enough photographers spend the time to really map out their equipment, like even exposure accuracy of each lens.
09-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

There may be some truth in this idea, but there is no substitute for experience....none. As a plumber the best example is on how tight to tighten the floor flange bolts on a $5K Fine China toilet......1/2 turn before it breaks. It will take you a good while to learn this...or maybe just one busted toilet?
Regards

09-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CasualPhil Quote
All art is subjective to each person.

I apply this to motorcycle riding, I LOVE going through the twistys and leaning my bike- feeling the throttle rip. BUT, it took me sooooo many hours of riding, to finally drag knee (a sort of cornerstone for sport riders). I took a 3 month break from riding due to a crash (4 months ago), and I am now relearning everything- learning to trust myself and my bike again.

I do practice at least 3-4 times a week with my Pentax, I try to find a way to break the mold each time- trying different angles, using lighting a bit differently- and just as important- learning my camera's settings (iso, shutter, aperture). There are days I don't feel like shooting, and because I don't want my art to become a hassle or obligation, I just kick back and relax- but my eye always looks for something new to capture later.

In our art, because it is soooo widely open to interpretation- practice may never make perfect- but practice, I believe will help you better translate your thoughts/creativity into your photos.
I've spent the summer focusing on bird photography - waterfowl and hummingbirds. It's not that I didn't take pictures of anything else (I did) ... my focus was to learn and gain instinct on how to take those pictures well without much aid from the camera. So...my Vivitar 135 and I have been very close. Am I better? yes - in fact I'm supplying all photography for an upcoming event from the pics I've taken this summer. Now I am comfortable reading the light and how it affects the birds, modifying camera settings very quickly based upon what I want, and reading the subjects of my pics. I'm certainly not an expert, but I'd consider myself a competent amateur for certain types of bird pictures.

So - June through September (4 months), several times per week, thousands of photos (of which I kept perhaps 100-200 and should drop that to 50 or so...) and I consider myself competent but not great.

I agree with what the OP quoted on this. I'm not sure it's 10,000 hours required. I'm not sure it's 20 years required (or 50). I'm not sure exactly what it is for an individual to be happy with their work. I think that's every photog's decision. The ol' adage 'practice makes perfect' is still as applicable as anything else.
09-24-2010, 08:38 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote
The Beatles performed live in Hamburg, Germany over 1,200 times from 1960 to 1964, amassing more than 10,000 hours of playing time, therefore meeting the 10,000-Hour Rule.
Meeting the "have two musical geniuses in your band"-rule was the crucial bit.

QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote
Gates met the 10,000-Hour Rule when he gained access to a high school computer in 1968 at the age of 13, and spent 10,000 hours programming on it.[3]
Meeting the "get a once-in-a-lifetime deal against better competition"-rule was the crucial bit.

To the best of my knowledge Gates wasn't/isn't a brilliant programmer. His business success is based on selling IBM a product (QDOS) that he got elsewhere.

Surely practice helps but that "10,000-Hour Rule" might be suitable to sell books but beyond that?
09-24-2010, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Photography is a creating process which requires more brainstorming than practicing the gears, I think?

Creativity can be bounded by the lack of skills and practice is the most effective way to master the skill.
09-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
To the best of my knowledge Gates wasn't/isn't a brilliant programmer. His business success is based on selling IBM a product (QDOS) that he got elsewhere.
From what I've read, he was really good at writing code, but he hasn't written any code since the 80's when Microsoft really started taking off.