Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote

The first rebate processor that Pentax used (Express Rebates?) went out of business. Pentax switched to a new company and they have had some minor delays, but I did receive one rebate from them. I think they have recovered from the disaster of the first, failed company.

In my case, one of my rebates was sent to the old company just before they went under. They processed it but never sent a check and never forwarded the computer record to the new processor. I tried calling the new company and they couldn't help. I called the old company (or at least what remains of them) and they gave me the run-around ("our computer system has been down for a month and it might get fixed at some point in the future.") I called them again 3 weeks later and got the same brush-off. It was about 17 weeks after I mailed the rebate form, and it looked like I was out $50.

I finally called Pentax sales in Colorado and they were very helpful. I sent them copies of the rebate form and supporting documents and received a check in about 2 weeks. I appreciate that Pentax did the right thing and paid the rebate.
I'm confused.... Is Pentax now on a THIRD rebate company? The latest change was at the beginning of July of 2007 so it has been just about 8 weeks since the last change...

Guess I need to contact Pentax too. Otherwise I lose $100 on my 16-45mm.

09-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I'm confused.... Is Pentax now on a THIRD rebate company? The latest change was at the beginning of July of 2007 so it has been just about 8 weeks since the last change...

Guess I need to contact Pentax too. Otherwise I lose $100 on my 16-45mm.
No MRRiley I do not believe they are on there third company. This is the second company, as the first one went out of business over night leaving Pentax to scramble to get another one right in the middle of the on going rebate summer program.

I wrote an email to Pentax and they very quickly got back to me to inform me that they could not find my rebate information on the web site that we use to get our tracking information from either. And suggested that I resubmit.

Fortunitly I learned long ago to keep copys of stuff I submit, so I am doing it all over again. This time I will send it redgestered mail so that they can not say they did not get it.

Pentax has been prompt and most courteous to me on all contacts I have had with them.

The problem is the rebate companys. Some or good, some are fair, and some just seem to be very poor. Hopefully once the dust settles, from the bad company bailing out on Pentax, things will get back to normal!

I feel from my long history with Pentax products and all the posts I have read from others who have invested in Pentax equipment that we really care about Pentax as a company, not just our equipment, and want the very best for the new merger with Hoya. But Pentax needs to look to all aspects of there business, and that sure includes third party companys that handle business for them!
09-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

What I mean when I say "Is Pentax on a third rebate company" is that Gary said he sent in his rebate "to the old company just before they went under." He then went on to say he contacted that old company again "about 17 weeks after -he- mailed the rebate form"... This is why I think we may be on a 3rd company unless Gary mis-spoke or made a typo. It has not been 17 weeks since the last change (1 July 07).

I wish Pentax would just dispense with the mail-in rebate program and offer instant rebates. It's better for customer relations and they don't have to worry about a 3rd party company damaging their reputation. And I do realize that any rebate program relies to a certain extent on a certain number of customers forgetting to send in the forms, but they could probably save this difference by not having to pay the rebate company for the processing.

Mike
09-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #19

Do away with present rebate policy

What I mean when I say "Is Pentax on a third rebate company" is that Gary said he sent in his rebate "to the old company just before they went under." He then went on to say he contacted that old company again "about 17 weeks after -he- mailed the rebate form"... This is why I think we may be on a 3rd company unless Gary mis-spoke or made a typo. It has not been 17 weeks since the last change (1 July 07).

I wish Pentax would just dispense with the mail-in rebate program and offer instant rebates. It's better for customer relations and they don't have to worry about a 3rd party company damaging their reputation. And I do realize that any rebate program relies to a certain extent on a certain number of customers forgetting to send in the forms, but they could probably save this difference by not having to pay the rebate company for the processing.

Mike
I agree with the "lets end the rebate programs as presently constituted." I hate the D## things. Instant rebates make more sense to me.

Pentax needs to get the word out that they are more customer friendly than the other guys.

I just had an occasion to return a ink cartage to Office Depot that was not working right after just purchasing it less than two weeks ago . They made the experience a pure joy. I feel like buying everything I can from a company like that. This is the type of feeling Pentex needs to engender in its customers.

There is no way with Hoya's help, or any other way, that they will ever be as big as Canon or Nikon. But they can have a large group of customers who would not buy from anyone but Pentax no matter what!!

I know. "Only my opinion."

09-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #20
Inactive Account

There were only two rebate companies. I mailed the rebate in question at the end of April to the first company, which was called Express something. They processed the request and it eventually was showed on their Web site as "mailed check." Based on my previous experience with them, they lie about when they mail the checks. I figured that they had completed the verification and probably printed the check, and I would eventually get it in the mail. But I never got the check.

While this rebate was being processed, the first company went out of business and Pentax handed over the open rebates to the new company. But apparently mine was not handed over to the new company since it was (falsely) listed as "mailed." I made many calls but the new company said I had to contact the old company because they had no records dating back to April. I called the old company and it was clear that "their computers were down" is their permanent status these days.

So, after about 17 weeks from the date of submission of the rebate, I called Pentax and they had me resubmit the rebate documents. I got my rebate check about a week later. My experience with Pentax itself was very positive and I appreciate their fast resolution of the problem.

So give Pentax customer service in Colorado a call and they will straighten it out for you.
09-06-2007, 07:06 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Thanks Gary... now it makes sense... the "17 weeks" was from first submittal. Yeah, I'll be giving customer service a call. I have copies of the UPCs and receipts but not of the rebate form itself or a mailing receipt. Glad to hear Pentax was willing to straighten it out for you and hope they will do do in my case... Afterall, they'll get the money right back when I buy the next lens... LOL

Thanks again,

Mike
09-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Glad to hear Pentax was willing to straighten it out for you and hope they will do do in my case... Afterall, they'll get the money right back when I buy the next lens... LOL
That's the truth! I just bought a DA* 50-135mm f2.8.

Good luck with the rebate.

09-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #23

An't that the truth!

Mike, Gary. You both express my position on the rebate issue. We get our rebate and turn around and buy more gear.

As I stated in this thread I have not received my rebates for the K10 and 50-200mm lens yet and I just ordered the AF 540 FGZ flash and the F remote switch!

So Pentax is getting our money "any way, shape, or form!"

I feel sure Pentax will straighten this rebate business out. They seem like a quality company and the people I have dealt with in Colorado are first rate.