Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2006, 08:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Adobe Lightroom

Is anyone using the beta version? any thoughts?

12-01-2006, 09:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WRB Quote
Is anyone using the beta version? any thoughts?
I have it, and tried it, but don't have time to give it a real go. (besides, I am still waiting for my camera which will have raw) there is little as the way of tutorials on the interent, making learning it a tough go.
I did try it with some jpg and tif images and thought it was very complex. I did like the fact that you can change the color temperature on jpg's and tiff's though.
I am definatley going to try it more with raw.

cheers
12-02-2006, 09:08 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I tried it for about a month and uninstalled it. I found it to slow in processing and I felt Photoshop CS2 was still better to use for my complex post processing needs. For those photos That only need a quick fix or for, the ones I want to post right after a shoot I use Picasa (great little program). I find Picasa allows a little more latitude for quick PP. And Picasa allows the use of RAW files.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
12-02-2006, 11:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've tried it and was quite satisfied with results. IMO SilkyPix 3 is better but not by much.

12-03-2006, 08:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have tried it twice and it was painfully slow and it didn't like it at all so I un-installed. Personally I won't buy any Adobe products anymore. That is my way of saying thanks to them, for buying a perfectly fine software company with a great product (Pixmantec/ Rawshooter) only to kill it and force you into their own bloat-ware.
BTW - I don't shop at Walmart either, but that's just me.
12-25-2006, 05:00 PM   #6

i think the new beta 4 is amazing.. but you simply need a very fast machine to run it.. i find the options to PP ur raws file are easy to use and i like the curve setting...
im running on a laptop pentium m 2.2 ghz with 512 of ram. I will install it on my desktop soon and give it a try. But so far im very happy with it. I thought siklypix was simple the best but i found that this is def a competition.
12-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This is the first I have heard of it. I use PSCS2, tried PS Elements, that was painful. I will test out the new beta this weekend.

01-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #8

Well, Adobe has finally announced Lightroom 1.0. Here is the article from dpreview.com:

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.0: Digital Photography Review

I have used the beta a little and I like it, although even at the introductory price of $199 I don't think I can justify it. Maybe if I win that Superbowl pool in the office . . .
01-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I downloaded it a few days ago. It is fairly intuitive, and there are video tutorials available online that add some insights.
However, I tried printing a few pics and the results were horrible. No matter what settings I tried the results were all the same, very dark and muddy colors. These were shots that printed great in PS Elements. I have decided that there is nothing any of the "high end" programs can offer me beyond what I can do in Elements 5, so why bother!! :-)

Walt
01-29-2007, 08:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beta lightroom will end Feb 19... now you have to pay!

no longer free after Feb 19.... will be $299 US

Rob Galbraith DPI: Camera Raw 3.7 slated for release at same time as Lightroom
01-29-2007, 08:38 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
$199 until April 30.
01-30-2007, 08:16 PM   #12

Ok, so I tried Lightroom for a couple of months now, Beta 4 is pretty good, and looking at the release notes they did address a few issues I had (minor nitpicks).

But wanting to experiment with the layering workflows in CS2 (and I suppose CS3 soon), what's a guy to do?

Buy LR for $199 while it's a cheap deal, and wait and get CS3 when it's released? Plus the price tag on CS2 looks steep, but I see 'deals' on the 'net... argg!

I don't have an upgrade path, so it's full purchases for me
02-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I have PE5 and have tried the beta the last few days. Lightroom is better in that it works directly on my DNG files, whereas I have to pass through the RAW converter dialog when opening my DNG's in PE5. However, I have found no way to get Lightroom to apply sharpening when exporting to JPEG's, which makes it useless for my needs. Better to go through more steps in PE5 but be able to save sharpened JPEG's for publication and viewing from the harddisk.