Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
peterson's "correct exposure"

i've read his exposure books and watched several of his video's. i really like his style and presentation. however....i always hear him say...."now that i'm ready to shoot and my camera is showing the correct exposure, i'll take the shot"

is this just a blanket statement or when he says "showing correct exposure" does he mean that he's just metering to 0?

he stresses the relationship of aperture to shutter speed and that there is a differece between creative exposures and correct exposures....i get that. but i'm just wondering if he's always metering to 0 when he's not giving up anything else about his metering technique

09-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps he's going back to manual everything cameras in his speaking - ie. the camera is showing the shutter speed and aperture he wants the way they used to - on engraved dials and rings.
09-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Not sure I can directly answer your question, but one distinction he makes is that there is a "technically correct exposure" which can be one of 6 or 7 combinations of aperture and shutter speed (for a given ISO), and then there is a "creatively correct exposure".

I'd say he's usually referring to the latter when he is ready to press the shutter release. It's the exposure he wants and the meter is showing what he wants it to show when he exposes the image.

Just my take....
09-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From my understanding 'indicating correct exposure' is 0ev on the camera meter. When he uses his little tricks such as 'Mr Green Jeans' he then tells you to change to an offset from 'correct exposure'.