Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
music_lover

ISO Terminology

fine it's removeD

try to help those less expereinced. NO, that's not possible.
I.m going to be be buying me a Nikon anyway.

Last edited by music_lover; 09-21-2010 at 09:22 PM.
09-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That's not bad of a starting point. In reality, there's a more scientific/numeric basis for these numbers based on sensitivity of light.
09-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by music_lover Quote
I Learned a few things in Photo Class in High School, good for those who don't know what each number represents:
iso 100 outside, bright sunshine
iso 200 sunny to partly cloudy (i hope that was right)
iso 400 partly cloudy to cloudy
iso 800 cloudy or in the shade
iso 1600 night with plenty of light
iso 3200 night and available light
iso 6400 not quite pitch black
iso 12800 candlelight ( ihope that one was right)

anybody know these different from me, and please let's keep under wraps on the subject, please
It's not a terribly-bad set of guidelines, but it'd be as well to pay attention to the relationship between your shutter speed and aperture and sensitivity, as well as where your particular camera or film performs well.

You'll learn where the tradeoffs are, as you progress. You'll likely find that you needn't be so specific, and that your choice of ISO setting won't be confined to very particular conditions, so much as what you're doing. (They're likely to move this thread, btw,)
09-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
That's not bad of a starting point. In reality, there's a more scientific/numeric basis for these numbers based on sensitivity of light.
yes I am aware of those, but don't think it needs mentioning here, could post it though

09-21-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I Learned a few things in Photo Class in High School, good for those who don't know what each number represents:

anybody know these different from me, and please let's keep under wraps on the subject, please
That gets a C+. There's more to it than that. You might just want more or less depth of focus or higher or slower shutter speeds.
09-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's bad, you cannot isolate ISO like that without knowing shutter speed and aperture. This table is extremely misleading IMHO. It's better to learn about EV (Exposure Value). At least 2 links are useful:

Exposure value - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Exposure: Exposure: Glossary: Learn: Digital Photography Review
09-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

There's definitely more to it than ambient lighting conditions, but I think it's a good rule of thumb for absolute beginners.

I tend to recommend beginners shy away from Auto modes (ISO, Program, even Av or Tv) until they understand why these modes choose the settings they do.

Start with Manual. Set your ISO, white balance, Aperture, and Shutter Speed based on what you think is right for the scene. Take a test shot, then adjust.

09-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
That's bad, you cannot isolate ISO like that without knowing shutter speed and aperture. This table is extremely misleading IMHO. It's better to learn about EV (Exposure Value). At least 2 links are useful:

Exposure value - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Exposure: Exposure: Glossary: Learn: Digital Photography Review
If you shoot film, why do you choose a specific ISO for the roll you put in the camera? You choose it because you'll be shooting in a dark place, or noon-day sun, etc. At least I do.

Why should it be any different with digital, just because you can change ISO shot to shot instead of roll to roll?
09-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Try reading this.
09-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

64 and 128 should be switched..
09-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
There's definitely more to it than ambient lighting conditions, but I think it's a good rule of thumb for absolute beginners.

I tend to recommend beginners shy away from Auto modes (ISO, Program, even Av or Tv) until they understand why these modes choose the settings they do.

Start with Manual. Set your ISO, white balance, Aperture, and Shutter Speed based on what you think is right for the scene. Take a test shot, then adjust.

that's what it say at the beginning of thread, FOR THOSE THAT DON'T KNOW
09-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

This is meant for beginners who are not sure what ISO reppresents. It represents film speed in sort of a way that must be used in conjunction with Aperature Value and Shiutter Speeds. This is good for those who don't know what each number represents:

I think you've posted in the wrong forum, as this isn't related to news or rumors. You might want to PM a mod and ask them to move it for you.
09-22-2010, 06:08 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
If you shoot film, why do you choose a specific ISO for the roll you put in the camera? You choose it because you'll be shooting in a dark place, or noon-day sun, etc. At least I do.
Maybe but the OP's list is useless. You will gather more light with a f/2 prime than a f/5.6 zoom. Up to 3 stops, so this list is totally misleading IMHO. Even for a complete novice that's not good at all and may imprint bad habits.

The best way is to learn the really simple relationship between shutter speed, aperture and ISO. At the beginning it's even better to skip ISO and handle just shutter speed and aperture.
09-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Isn't what you're telling us here just an extension of the old "sunny 16" rule?

I.e. set f/16 and 1/100s for a ISO100 roll in bright sun light and you don't need metering. So what you're writing here applies to what ISO you need to set the camera in which light situations so that 1/100s and f/16 will yield acceptably correct exposure.

Whereas this used to be a good rule for camera's without a meter, or when you want to ignore the meter and work manual, but I don't think it stands for application in a modern camera...

It's kinda like a full manual TAv mode... Quite useless...

Wim
09-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Isn't what you're telling us here just an extension of the old "sunny 16" rule?
Film rolls used to have indications for proper exposure in sun and shadow. I actually used those guidelines once with my LX (it ran out of battery, but the LX shutter could operate fully mechanically at faster shutter speeds)
Closed Thread