Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I want in a new body

With all the brouhaha about the K-5 the K-r and the 645, I thought it might be fun to list what I would like in a new body
1) I would enjoy a smaller form factor, significant reductions in dimensions and weight would be nice
2)Continuously recharging battery. It would be nice to operate at full power all the time. Especially at 2 pm.
3)Instant sleep mode, but only on demand. None of this waiting 1/2 hour or more. On the back side I don't need or want "automatic shut down" See the above comment about 2PM.
4)All functions should operate cleanly and smoothly. No more stiff operating parts on cold rainy mornings.
5) Capacious, accessable and reliable memory. Sometimes there seems to be holes in my current file system
6) Greater buffer capacity. At 61 my buffer fills up much more quickly than I would like. A two hour subway ride puts severe stress on it.
7)Nice clean beautiful lines, the exterior coating should be sculpted, smooth and blemish free, yet tough.

So what would you like in a new body?

NaCl(new body??? I'd be happy with new knees and shoulders!)H2O

09-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

interesting thoughts salty...
what I would want from new body?
Lines/size/along the MZ sereis, something like MZ5n or MZ3 digital but with better build quality.
Metal, weather sealed, with external buttons and switches for most of the important stuff, none of this faffling about in menus and submenus a la K-x. Actually MZ-S with digital sensor would be nice too
And most of all return of the NON crippled KAF mount that can meter with pre A lenses!
And one thing (put that's just personal wish that I think will never happen): B&W sensor, somewhere along 10-12mpx on APSC or 15-18 FF. No bayer stuff, no AA filter, just photosites sensitive to light and creating shades of grey between pure white and pure blac... That would just bout it
09-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
No more stiff operating parts
You sure about that one?

axl - I'm not so sure he's talking about camera here.
09-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
You sure about that one?

-lol-

09-23-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Arpe
I thought someone would "bring up" that! Note that I said "all functions should operate cleanly and smoothly" and "on cold rainy mornings"

NaCl(maybe I should have said "aching and swollen part" tho my knees are not swollen just stiff)H2O
09-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

is this really about cameras now?
09-23-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
You sure about that one?

I was going to respond 5-6 inches taller, but then I realized Oh, he is talking about cameras here

Actually, what I would want in a new body is really simple,

-TTL flash in addition to P-TTL
-aperture coupling for K mount lenses, or a software mod that let them work in Av mode.
-Dual format memory cards so I can use my *istD CF cards for both cameras.
-Improved buffer size but not all that much, perhaps 14 MP at max Jpeg continuous 3FPS, like the K10D was
-compressed RAW like Nikon. This would make me change from JPEG
- not necessairly camera but a better flash, same guide number but 50% reduced full power duration
- when used with the above flash 1/250 high speed sync, with trailing curtain also.
- exposure compendation on a lens by lens basis, like focus compensation is now.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 09-23-2010 at 02:42 PM.
09-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I was going to respond 5-6 inches taller, but then I realized Oh, he is talking about cameras here

Actually, what I would want in a new body is really simple,

-
- exposure compendation on a lens by lens basis, like focus compensation is now.
5-6 inches taller?!? Do you want to be the cable guy or what

the last point is very interesting but I suppose it would make sense....
09-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
5-6 inches taller?!? Do you want to be the cable guy or what

the last point is very interesting but I suppose it would make sense....
Actually at 5'8" I have the short person complex. I would prefer
At times to be 6'2"

As for exposure compensation I have at least one lens thar has an exposure drift of about a stop as you stop down from F2.8 to F 32
09-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

Actually at 5'8" I have the short person complex. I would prefer
At times to be 6'2"
ah, taller that way... know I'm with you... I'm 5'10" so I know how you feel, but I'd be happy with 6'

As for exposure compensation I have at least one lens thar has an exposure drift of about a stop as you stop down from F2.8 to F 32
one lens?!? all of my lenses need +1EV when being shot wide open (f1.2-f1.9), they are OK from 2.8 to 11 and I rarely shoot pass 11 so can't comment... but for some reason I got so used to it that I just consider it as normal behavior. Oh and my 10-20 needs +1.5EV no matter what f stop I shoot it at... (and no it's not the body, I used that lens on 3/4 bodies and it's the same story everywhere)
09-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was going to simply say, "better looking" - but that's not possible .

Jer
09-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
ah, taller that way... know I'm with you... I'm 5'10" so I know how you feel, but I'd be happy with 6'

one lens?!? all of my lenses need +1EV when being shot wide open (f1.2-f1.9), they are OK from 2.8 to 11 and I rarely shoot pass 11 so can't comment... but for some reason I got so used to it that I just consider it as normal behavior. Oh and my 10-20 needs +1.5EV no matter what f stop I shoot it at... (and no it's not the body, I used that lens on 3/4 bodies and it's the same story everywhere)
I have tested some, and foound them to be perfect, across the board, my sigma 70-200F2.8 EX is one such example, but my Tammy 28-75F2,8 starts off right on the money but gradually drifts up as you stop down. I'm willing to bet it has to do with the aperture linkage not actually being perfectly linear as for aperture area as a function of position, but it would be nice if I could correct that out.

I do have on my K10D the issue that my same sigma, when used with a TC needs -1 ev correction to stop from over exposing, but since it is constant it is not an issue, I just correct and get on with it.

but yes you get the idea. to be able to enter an EV comp, F-stop by F-stop for multiple lenses, so you could test them for exposure and then correct every point along the way.
09-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I was going to simply say, "better looking" - but that's not possible .

Jer

"He's so good looking he's too hard to see"

NaCl(great one Jer, but I'd just settle for "nicely sculpted" )H2O