Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #1

Questions about my new Rolleiflex (2.8E)

I purchased a Rolleiflex 2.8E on eBay. The buyer says it's "super cosmetic" condition and "mint working" condition. When I viewed another 2.8E online I noticed mine appears to be missing a knob at the bottom of the camera. Does anyone know what this is and how concerned I should be about its not being there?

Also is it normal for the tip of the top aperture blade to be bent upward very slightly at its tip? I've read it is but would sleep better hearing it from someone on this board since I find the information I get here to be better than the general ether of the Internet.

It's a 2.8 E, Type 1

Thank you!!

Last edited by ADHWJC; 11-02-2010 at 09:59 AM.
09-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's the flash sync terminal, and I've never seen it protruded like the "Sample" pic shw. I wonder if that's a special attachment? weird. Yours looks normal.

Regards to the aperture blades, yeah, of course. It's to make sure the blades don't get all tangled up :-)
09-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like the flash cable socket and from what I have read, your copy would be just fine.
The "extra" thing hanging out of it ... not sure exactly what it is but from your pic, all seems fine.

I am sending you a PDF "Original Manual" for this particular camera. It,s like you have the real manual right in front of you. Pay particular attention to Page 33 of the manual ... it does show this part very well.
((It's over the limit imposed by the forum, so give me your email via a PM and I will send it to you asap.))

Rolleiflex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

never used Rolleiflex 2.8E - Photo.net Medium Format Forum

Collectible... this is a different model than yours but at least it also shows the knob in question ... the flash cable socket.

Cheers.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 09-24-2010 at 05:22 PM.
09-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DEWEY Quote
I purchased a Rolleiflex 2.8E on eBay. The buyer says it's "super cosmetic" condition and "mint working" condition. When I viewed another 2.8E online I noticed mine appears to be missing a knob at the bottom of the camera. Does anyone know what this is and how concerned I should be about its not being there?

Also is it normal for the tip of the top aperture blade to be bent upward very slightly at its tip? I've read it is but would sleep better hearing it from someone on this board since I find the information I get here to be better than the general ether of the Internet.

It's a 2.8 E, Type 1

Thank you!!
RE the Shutter blade, Yes, it is supposed to have the little bend on the tip of One blade. Not all of these shutters were built this way however but the tip, denotes the #1 blade. It's purpose, from what I understand, was to help speed the shutter.

Even in Mint working condition, be aware that the fastest you'll likely get out of the shutter is about 1/400 sec.

The flash sync plug, There was a special locking one available for the Rolleiflex cameras. That (the one on your sample photo) doesn't appear to be one however. The Rollei flash sync cable has a lip on it that is held in place by a spring. It can be released by rotating that lever around the flash sync. It will only move about 10 degrees so don't try and force it any further. There is nothing missing on your camera from what I can see.

Hint: When you load the film, it goes UNDER the Bottom roller and Over the top one ..

Jeff (The Rolleiman)

Last edited by JeffJS; 09-25-2010 at 11:30 AM.
09-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Buying an expensive 50-year-old camera on eBay is stressful, haha.