Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2007, 06:31 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What do I have to do to be on Pentax Photo Gallery?

Just silly question really. My friend and also I consider myself as very good photographer. I would love to send some photos to Pentax Photo Gallery but it seems to be impossible mission. I registered 3 days ago and didnt get any email response confirming or declining my registration.

Do I have to do something else or how can I get access to Pentax Photo Gallery and upload some photos?

Thanks

09-06-2007, 06:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since coming out of beta I think they have been deluged with applicants. I'd be patient and give em another few days. After that I'd just attempt to register again. maybe that will even generate an error saying your first attempt is being processed. If not then maybe it will break the logjam.

Once you get in, please please please carefully consider your submissions. A fairly new feature allows members to vote YES or NO on submissions and the quality of most submissions is pretty bad. Myself (and many others here at PF) will readily admit that we vote YES on maybe 10% of the photos being submitted. Of course, the members are not the final vote but I'd imagine that the ones that get a lot of NO votes are dismissed fairly quickly by the official judges. Now, I'm sure that the submitters think they are fine but come on, if a photo is out of focus and overexposed (or whatever) then the "photographer" knows in his heart of hearts that it's not good enough for the flagship gallery of Pentax photography.

Unfortunately of course, some photos which do deserve to get in don't for some reason or other. There are many threads here at PF that contain gallery rejects, many of which would have gotten my confident YES vote, but art being what it is what I see and what the final judges see may be two different things. Take your rejects in stride and appreciate your successes.

Best wishes with your entries...

Mike
09-06-2007, 07:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Since coming out of beta I think they have been deluged with applicants. I'd be patient and give em another few days. After that I'd just attempt to register again. maybe that will even generate an error saying your first attempt is being processed. If not then maybe it will break the logjam.
Ok I will give it more time.

QuoteQuote:
Once you get in, please please please carefully consider your submissions. A fairly new feature allows members to vote YES or NO on submissions and the quality of most submissions is pretty bad. Myself (and many others here at PF) will readily admit that we vote YES on maybe 10% of the photos being submitted. Of course, the members are not the final vote but I'd imagine that the ones that get a lot of NO votes are dismissed fairly quickly by the official judges. Now, I'm sure that the submitters think they are fine but come on, if a photo is out of focus and overexposed (or whatever) then the "photographer" knows in his heart of hearts that it's not good enough for the flagship gallery of Pentax photography.
With submiting to galleries I have only one rule. Picture must be worth watching after long period. If I do like my picture after 3-4 months on paper than I think it's good enough to be published.

Anyway I am mostly landscape photographer and I do have a lot of pictures from travels which I think might be worth submiting.

QuoteQuote:
Unfortunately of course, some photos which do deserve to get in don't for some reason or other. There are many threads here at PF that contain gallery rejects, many of which would have gotten my confident YES vote, but art being what it is what I see and what the final judges see may be two different things. Take your rejects in stride and appreciate your successes.

Best wishes with your entries...
Mike
Thank you.
09-09-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Best of luck getting in. It took 4-5 days for me to get in and still have not had a photo approved out of about 7 or 8 submissions. Because I have few Pentax lenses, I can only submit a very few photos. You should have no problems if most of your glass in Pentax.

09-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think they change the rule : Photos can be taken with out a Pentax lens . Only with Pentax bodies ! I've seen a bunch of "unknown" lenses !
09-10-2007, 03:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You have to take into consideration that they haven't included all the Pentax lenses in the selection list. I couldn't find the M-50/1.4 there, for example, which struck me as odd.

Nor is there an option for any of the Takumar lenses.

The absence of ability to select Takumar lenses, plus the fact that I have practically a zero success rate in getting any Takumar photos approved makes me wonder if they don't secretly have a bias against including them. Or maybe I just can't shoot photos that they like. Either way, that combined with the glacial review pace have made me thoroughly disgusted with the idea of even bothering to submit anything anymore.
09-10-2007, 06:41 AM   #7

Original Poster
Ok, so no reply yet and I tried to join twice.

I am not sure why I dont have at least any kind of reply like we are busy, try later or whatever but it doesnt feel right. I would like the same opportunity to be member of PPG as people who already joined.

We shall see.
09-10-2007, 12:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

give them some time. It took me a week to get my invitation after I asked to join, and that was a while back while it was still BETA. I just had a couple pictures rejected after nearly 2 week wait. (and honestly I wasn't even disappointed they were rejected, I was just happy they reviewed them)

Be patient. I think they're totally swamped.
-Dan