Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Getting My K-x and Lenses into a Concert (<24 hours)

So tomorrow, the Rockstar Uproar festival rolls into town, and it's featuring some of my favorite bands ever. Obviously, I'm not going to settle for my family's sh*tty point and shoot for an event like, so I'm bringing my K-x.

The only thing is, I'm not sure how to get about getting it in, which I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I'm not too sure about how their security's going to work; some people say it's rather slack, some say some stuff will get a glance over search, and some say you get frisked on entering. So I'm not sure what it'll be. The website says "Non pro cameras are allowed, ie cell phones, small digital. We don't allow the Professional (big cameras) with pro lens flashes etc."

But yeah here's what I was planning on doing:

a) Hang K-x by strap with a DA40 attached to it inside my shirt - I'll be bringing my messenger bag too, which'll cover up the bulge (which isn't that huge to begin with, from how it looks in the mirror). The thing is, I'm worried that if the frisking is true, and they find that, they'll think that there must be a reason I'm hiding it => not allow it in because if I'm hiding it, it's probably too good a camera that they wouldn't normally let in.

b) Just have my K-x in the bag and let them see it if they're so inclined, and hope that the relative lack (even though there're K-xes in futureshops and bestbuys here) of knowledge about pentax and the small size of the camera/lens combo will pass it off as a very basic dslr/oversize point & shoot. Problem with this one is that they might not let it in just by virtue of having a lens at all. I'll probably use a generic lens cap to cover up the red "Limited" on the DA40; that word always makes people think "great quality", but still - if it's recognized as a dslr and the guy's feeling moody, I'm not sureabout their chanceso f waving it through.

Also, I'm thinking about bringing a water bottle (those metal thermoses), and bringing my M200/4 in that. Obviously, the risk with this is that if they find it, then it's clear that this is a camera with interchangeable lenses and that much more likely to be not allowed in. On the other hand, if everything passes through, and I find myself in the middle of the pit, a 40mm lens won't get me much in the way of getting great shots of my favorite bands.

So, what do you all think?

edit: turns out the only coffee mugs I have are just barely too narrow for my M200/4, or are wide enough but not deep enough, or are wide and deep enough but transparent.

Last edited by jaieger; 09-25-2010 at 12:11 PM.
09-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds like your small K-x will definitely be allowed, but I still recommend against taking your camera into a packed concert, as lasers can damage the sensor, and the crowd can bump into it and damage it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm definitely worried about the crowd thing, but I've been following reviews of the concert since its first show - not a whisper of lasers in any of the bands' performances. Disturbed has some large LED screens or something like that apparently, and there's tons of pyro, but no lasers, AFAIK.
09-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

what if your not alowed in? do you have a plan B? if not, I say just take a P&S

09-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My mom's old P&S is more of a POS; my K-x is practically smaller than it. My sister's is circulating between her friends and I can't get it in time, so my k-x is all I've got.
09-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
You might be fine with the small body and DA 40. It isn't a pro sized camera or lens. You won't be getting in anyones way, the lens isn't big enough to be a weapon and you wont be shooting close ups from 100 people deep with a monopod. Those are typically the things the events try to prevent.

To make the camera look even smaller you can take the hood and cap off and just use a 49mm (some pentax 52mm work too) lens cap on the front until you get in the show then switch. Makes the whole thing look like a superzoom P&S at most.

Think about how or if you can secure your camera if you can't get in to the show with it too. Always good to have a plan.

40mm isn't great reach but you can see what you can do with it, or try bringing along another smallish longer lens.

I wouldn't worry about people bumping around and breaking it. If you're going to a show to thrash in the pit you probably wouldn't be thinking about bringing a dslr. If you are in an area violent enough to break a camera with small lens you will probably be more worried about getting hurt yourself.
09-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

get an olympus
09-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
Inactive Account

The rent-a-pigs will take your camera and you'll never see it again.

09-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, as it turns out, they don't really like 200mm lenses, as a trend. So they took that for the duration of the concert and I had to pick it up afterwards. But otherwise, the K-x with a DA40 on it was a-okay, and despite the shortish focal length, I managed to get right to the front (literally leaning against the fence), so it was all good. Security saw me shooting the entire 5 hours and never tried to stop me. If anyone's interested, I'll post a few pictures after I'm done going through them all.
09-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

good to see your plan worked jaieger. I'd love to see some of your results.
09-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

please do post interested to see what you got
09-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
alrighty, posted here! https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/116263-people-rockstar-u...ml#post1202268

enjoy!
09-29-2010, 05:24 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Guess I am a little late to the thread, but my thought was to carry it on a strap under a Kilt. Few security guards are gonna check there. LOL
09-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL that's hilarious. Especially cause I'm Chinese, and the picture in my head right now..yeah. LOL.
09-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #15

Sorry, saw this too late to help. We saw this tour last month and nope, no lasers, but was going to warn about the mosh pit dangers! I was going to try and get my K-x in as well, but was worried about them taking it. I wasn't sure about that non-professional thing. Turns out a good thing because it started pouring right as Disturbed started playing and we had lawn seats.