Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Importing to U.S. from overseas?

I have bought a lot of camera items from the U.S. and have them shipped to my U.S. address to minimise taxes, etc. (I live on the Canada/U.S. border).

What is the situation when receiving goods in the U.S. from overseas?

Any taxes or duties payable?

If so, is there a fixed percentage?

All info. appreciated.

Thanks!

09-06-2007, 09:31 AM   #2

I've only received one package from overseas (England to be exact). No taxes were to be paid. Shipping was very quick too (7 days, standard mail). That's about all I can add.
09-13-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never, I repeat, never, have the package sent by UPS or FedEx. These guys will charge you as the receipient $25 for processing customs even if there is no customs payable.

Use mail.

I was charged customs on my 77mm limited which I bought from Canada, only because UPS dragged it through customs and it was 'discovered', that the merchandise had originated in Japan! So much for NAFTA.

All my subsequent purchases from Canada, Europe, Japan and Australia were sent by mail; no custom fees.
09-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #4

All imported items are subject to Customs duties unless specifially exempt by Customs regulations or accompanied by a returning U.S. resident. The U.S. mail facility will often miss dutiable items because of the volume of packages but commercial carriers declare everything and prepare the necessary paperwork. Duty rates vary according to the item and the U.S. tariff schedule. Some items are only 2% and others can be 25% or more. A ballpark average for most items is around 7%. If a dutiable item is found in the mail (there should bee a value declaration on the outside of the package), the assessed duty will be collected by your postal carrier.