Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's a good set-up when photography takes the back burner?

I bought my first DSLR (K10D) three odd years ago and it had been a fun run. But, lately I've lost most of the fun in just shooting for the sake of creating photographs, and photography will become something that I indulge as a side note.

I want a compact camera to have in my pocket and a serious DSLR that will be taken out for holidays (I will print large prints to hang on my wall of each major holiday I take - landscapes ONLY).

I went to an Oktoberfest last week and didn't want to carry my K-7, I am going for one today and will most likely not carry one either. Also, I don't feel like carrying a DSLR to family gatherings, just something discreet in my pocket.

On the other hand, for when the highest quality is needed (hang prints on the wall), then I don't mind carrying a hefty camera that deliver more for landscapes.

Compact camera Needs: Small sensors are out of the question, so it has to be EVIL cameras. I would prefer iso performance of the K-x, so iso 6400 can be used for available light shots, but at the same time I would need a built-in flash as well and it should be small enough to be kept in a pocket with a lens ( I am fine with one focal length - preferably 24mm in a cropped sensor).

Only the NEX cameras are small enough to be kept in a pocket, but it lacks a built-in flash and I don't like the interface. AF is fast enough for me (tried it at Best Buy). I don't think the iso performance is up to par with the k-x (May be the Pentax jpeg engine is superior). But, NEX seems to be the closest fit for me.

However, I am wondering, if I wait another 6 months I might get exactly what I want, as I am sure many more EVIL like products will flood the market....what's the opinion on this?....Can there possibly be a compact camera the size of the NEX with built-in flash and better iso 6400 within 6 months?

For the Main camera, I am leaning towards the Sony 850 FF with Zeiss lenses, for the Resolution it offers for landscape work for a reasonable cost OR keep my K-7.

Has anyone been this route before?....any recommendation is appreciated.

P.S: I could be wrong with the iso performance, the K-x and the NEX could be very close. The NEX Jpeg's have less noise and much less detail at iso6400, so with less NR it could retain as much detail as the K-x especially in RAW.

Last edited by pcarfan; 09-26-2010 at 07:58 AM.
09-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

There are also cameras that have large sensors, without interchangeable lenses. The Sigma DP1, Leica X1, and recently announced Fujifilm X100 come to mind.

Are you happy with the K-7 as a serious camera? If it produces images of the quality you need, my suspicion is that an APS-C EVIL or compact may be able to replace it entirely. The advantage of SLRs isn't in higher image quality anymore, but remains in ease of use; SLRs are simply better at autofocus, exposure adjustment, and handling. If you're willing to take the time to fiddle with a shot, as most landscape photographers do, then a large-sensor compact may well meet all of your needs.

If you're looking for a significant increase in resolution, my suggestion is to consider a film camera, especially if you're looking at buying a camera for infrequent, serious use. Large-format film will still trounce a 135-frame DSLR in terms of detail.

As for the next 6 months: Sony's recent sensor (which is sold to other brands, too) appears to be a strong step forward in terms of high ISO, and, yes, I would expect to see that level of technology in many new cameras in the near future.
09-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The camera I have considered is one of the Panasonic Compact super zooms with the Leica lens. They are still quite small, pocketable size, but have fantastic IQ. I have 2 friends who own one of the older models and the quality of the shots they get are mind boggling. I'm not up to date with the newest models but I have considered a compact camera purchase myself and from what I have seen of the Panasonics, that is the one I would get. Another camera that I would like that also fits the bill is the new Pentax Optio W90 waterproof camera. I would get a lot of good use from that one as I am on the water often.
09-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
There are also cameras that have large sensors, without interchangeable lenses. The Sigma DP1, Leica X1, and recently announced Fujifilm X100 come to mind.

Are you happy with the K-7 as a serious camera? If it produces images of the quality you need, my suspicion is that an APS-C EVIL or compact may be able to replace it entirely. The advantage of SLRs isn't in higher image quality anymore, but remains in ease of use; SLRs are simply better at autofocus, exposure adjustment, and handling. If you're willing to take the time to fiddle with a shot, as most landscape photographers do, then a large-sensor compact may well meet all of your needs.

If you're looking for a significant increase in resolution, my suggestion is to consider a film camera, especially if you're looking at buying a camera for infrequent, serious use. Large-format film will still trounce a 135-frame DSLR in terms of detail.

As for the next 6 months: Sony's recent sensor (which is sold to other brands, too) appears to be a strong step forward in terms of high ISO, and, yes, I would expect to see that level of technology in many new cameras in the near future.
I find the X100 very attractive - I am one of the many who is gaga over it. I went to the local store to try out the evil cameras just to see whether it's worth waiting for the X100 as it is larger than the others, and found even the Olympus a bit too large to fit in the pocket. So, it may not work - but, I love the camera.

Leica is too expensive for what it offers and the DP1 module with the smaller lens also have the smaller sensor. If I want the APS-C sensor module, then the package becomes pretty large.

Film is out of the question, as I used to digital too much and I need to take multiple shots, use histogram etc.

I like the K-7 IQ and I was also considering just using an evil camera and rent a 645D for travel landscapes. But, i would prefer the cropping capability of a 24.6 MP camera (Sony 850). Initially will keep both evil and dslr and decide later.

I like the size of the NEX5 with the 16/2.8, but that lens is too wide for a walk-around lens. I like the Samsung lenses in the 30/2 and the 20/2.8 better, and the NX100 might be better as well. But, a tough call here, as Sony is releasing a few more lenses as well (Don't know the specs though, but one lens to be released looks small enough).

09-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The camera I have considered is one of the Panasonic Compact super zooms with the Leica lens. They are still quite small, pocketable size, but have fantastic IQ. I have 2 friends who own one of the older models and the quality of the shots they get are mind boggling. I'm not up to date with the newest models but I have considered a compact camera purchase myself and from what I have seen of the Panasonics, that is the one I would get. Another camera that I would like that also fits the bill is the new Pentax Optio W90 waterproof camera. I would get a lot of good use from that one as I am on the water often.
I am concerned with high iso, and if in case I decided to print large of an image captured with my pocketable camera.
09-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just like DSLR's the EVIL systems also looks like all the manufacturers joined together to make sure each system keeps something out. Good lens selection, but iso performance is bad. Great iso, but not many lenses available. Great lens and iso but the body is a bit large.....it's always choosing the least compromised system.

Next 6-12 months will be interesting.
09-27-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I am concerned with high iso, and if in case I decided to print large of an image captured with my pocketable camera.
Well, there will always be a trade off by choosing a small, pocketable camera. I spent a couple of days at Busch Gardens with the kids many years ago with my Spotmatic and it was such a hassle to lug around that I never brought an SLR to a place like that again. I bought a smaller P&S 35mm with a zoom, large by todays standards but I could pocket it or hook it on my belt. The issues of high ISO noise seem to be improving judging by some of the reviews I have read on the newer models.

09-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

However, I am wondering, if I wait another 6 months I might get exactly what I want, as I am sure many more EVIL like products will flood the market....what's the opinion on this?....Can there possibly be a compact camera the size of the NEX with built-in flash and better iso 6400 within 6 months?
IMO it is very unlikely. Also, consider that during these 6 months new announcements will be made and new rumors started. You can sit on the fence indefinitely.

Personally, as awkward as it is, K-7 is my main and only camera. So, I took it a number of times with me when good pocket camera could have been much more convenient and comfortable. Without knowing your dimensions it is hard to tell, but there would have to be quite big pockets to "pocket" Pana GF1 or its likes...

From what Miserere writes in his blog, Fuji X100 is anything but tiny too...
09-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Why not the LX5 with its 1/1.63" sensor and Leica lens? Anything it can't do, you would likely want to break out the K-7 for anyway. Another option may be the Nikon P7000 since it has a viewfinder.
09-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

... the DP1 module with the smaller lens also have the smaller sensor. If I want the APS-C sensor module, then the package becomes pretty large.
Are you thinking of Ricoh GXR camera? That's the one with different lens/sensor modules. Sigma's DP1 is smaller than the Olympus EP-1, and about the same size but with a little less depth than the Sony NEX-5 with a pancake attached. The DP2 has a longer lens (about 40mm in 35mm-equivalent). At any rate, the Sigmas probably don't have the high ISO performance that you are looking for... although Sigma has announced a 46-megapixel SLR, and may use that sensor in their DP-model updates, which would be something to watch for.

Film is out of the question, as I used to digital too much and I need to take multiple shots, use histogram etc.
A setup I am curious about trying for myself is to use a digital camera to calculate exposure, and then take the final image on film. Still, there is an undeniable convenience argument for digital.

At any rate, let us know what you decide on and how that setup works for you. I'm sure you're not the only one trying to balance these priorities!
09-27-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the assistance.

I am leaning very much towards the Lumix LX3 or LX5, but will wait on this. I do like it's performance, it is pretty good even at iso 1600 (But still worse than the K10D even). But for pocketability this might be the best option. NEX5 with Samsung 30/2 and the upcoming Samsung 20/2.8 would be my ideal set-up, but alas NEX 16/2.8 is too wide and not a great performer and Sony had announced their two year lens plan, none of which is a pancake. I absolutely don't see the attraction in sticking a huge lens to the NEX, yet everyone is doing it, but frankly I have no idea why?

The more I think, if I need the IQ I just have to carry the K-7 (I will do that for the wknd. Vegas trip).

P.S: I did confuse the Sigmas for the Ricoh, thanks for the clarification. The only thing the LX3/5 lacks is iso 6400 performance (I can easily get shutter speeds of 1/60-100th at f2.8 indoors with that, which would be awesome for available light) and the Lumix will lag behind in large prints as well - NEX 5 offers both this and pocetability but doesn't have the compact lenses (only the 16/2.8).

Last edited by pcarfan; 09-27-2010 at 03:47 PM.
09-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

LX5 sounds like a solid choice. I'm partial to Ricoh. They are often a step behind the high end Panasonic and Canon P&S cams, but their user interface is to die for. The GRD III has an F1.9/28mm fixed lens, and they just announced a 28mm/F2.5 APS-C for the GXR plus a showing a module with an interchangeable lens mount.