Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 08:35 AM   #136
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those Getty images also have historical value. Everything isn't about abstract art.

11-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Those Getty images also have historical value. Everything isn't about abstract art.
Again, of course. My point again, is many would not survive on PF, and if we did not know the background of them (and possibly even if we did), they would get ripped. I do not say and have not said they were bad.
11-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #138
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Again, of course. My point again, is many would not survive on PF, and if we did not know the background of them (and possibly even if we did), they would get ripped. I do not say and have not said they were bad.
Actually, you didn't get my point especially the historical aspect. For example, Hugh Es didn't get the best image of the helicopter leaving the roof of the CIA hotel in Saigon in 1975. However, it is one of the most famous photos of its type in the world because in part because of the historical and social significance. Plus, if someone were to post images from the War Between the States on PF that their great great grandfather had captured at Chicamauga or Manassas, I doubt you would see it get ripped.

Edit: Everyone is a critic. However, I like to critique the critics. Would you really want to do a re-shoot (more ways than one) on this one to get a better focus?

http://www.getty.edu/art/exhibitions/engaged_observers/meiselas_zm.html

Last edited by Blue; 11-04-2010 at 09:40 PM.
11-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oi! You over there - just hold still for the.......

11-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
So does anyone else also see this, and if so, is there a case for addressing this issue with PPG organisers themselves? (of course, I'm willing to do that myself; just asking for personal opinion...)
I agree with you Ash. I gave up on PPG a long long time ago. I doubt things will change. From the annoying user interface, inconsistent lens names and sorting order, to sub-par content, there is nothing that attracts me to PPG as a user or a visitor.

Instead, I am enjoying Onexposure and checking for updates as often as I can, usually daily. Check it out at 1x.com - Best photos on the web
11-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #141
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Awesome work on 1x.com - the work featured there is the best of modern pro images. I suppose that's not the intent of PPG (appealing more to the enthusiast and non-pro community) so I can appreciate that PPG isn't destined for such levels, but it would be great to see it mature and grow into a database of excellent amateur work.
12-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #142

Start your own gallery, and rigorously judge entries according to your criteria.

Have some guidelines on originality for a start. What is the point of having hundreds of photos of the same subject taken in more or less the same way?

Define technical excellence. Sharpness, noise levels, colour, use of DOF,.

X factor - does the shot have something indefinably beautiful about it?

Passion and emotion - is it moving?

12-08-2010, 11:05 PM   #143

Ash, I think your image is much more interesting than many I have seen submitted to PPG. I wonder how much weight voters give to the technical aspects anyway. Given the amount of time we spend on inspecting images these days, most people would not have noticed the softness, or the odd head at the bottom. But maybe the technical imperfections ADD something to the image. The out of focus tower suggests a viewer with a slightly enibriated patron of the amusement park. The hptogarpher is not a scientist, but a participant with a connection to the subject that is not merely technical. Why do we automatically downgrade something because it is soft or noisy? There's too much technical analysis and not enough emotional judgment going on in PPG. That's why there are so many technically excellent images which are frankly sterile in effect.
12-09-2010, 05:42 AM   #144
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's another way of appreciating art, Adam.
It may not be widely appreciated as such, but your point is well taken.
Sometimes unintended results serendipitously create uniquely artistic images. Not sure if this is the case with my examples, but I appreciate this does happen. Thanks for your input.
12-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #145
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adamaitken Quote
. . .

Passion and emotion - is it moving?
Would that make it an e-motion picture?
12-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #146

subjective?

One persons crap is another persons masterpiece. You like what you like. Some folks hate pp, or even worse (heavens no!) HDR.