Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I too feel like the standards have dropped, when i vote my yes-no ratio is probably around 1:15
That gives me an indication that I'm about in the right proportion of 'yes' votes.
Although if there are a lot of us around with the same mindset, then how could there be such a high number of 'no' images getting through?...

09-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah thats a good question... We dont know how many ppg voters are out there that dont come onto the pentax forums and what they vote like.
09-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Once you've got a PPG approved image, you've got voting rights.
Unless things have changed, a PPG member has voting rights even if they have never had an image approved.

I have to admit to being a little easier in my voting than the rest of you people. I generally vote positive on about 1 out of 10, though on some days the number may drop to far lower than that.

Steve
09-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

PPG has had uneven standards from DAY 1

Mike

p.s. my yes/no ratio normally runs 1/15 as well... sometimes much less...

09-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #20
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well Steve, that makes it difficult to regulate voting standards even more.
And Mike, of course there are uneven standards, it's just a matter of how uneven they are.
If they were consistently uneven, at least people know where PPG stands as a photo gallery.
But being consistently inconsistent is another problem altogether.
I do notice, though, that although I don't believe my personal voting standards have changed, I have gone from voting 1/10 or so in a year or two ago to 1/20 or so now. And sooo many more images that made awful first impressions for me still made it through into the gallery.
09-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
An incredibly large +1

(see signature)
I am curious to know Tanner, which recent acceptances of yours have convinced you that PPG is "worthless" and why?
And are you still submitting or not?
09-30-2010, 03:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

An incredibly large +1

(see signature)
I dont get what you mean about your ppg gallery. They're wonderful

That said, I do give it a big +1 as well... I don't have much in PPG but alot of the recent stuff just makes me cringe.

09-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

My voting rate is anywhere between 1/10 to 1/15. At times I go for pages without a thumbs up, and in VERY rare instances I have voted yes for all the images on a page.

The standards has always been sort of subjective, but crappy shots never got through, and that's not the case anymore.

Anyhow, I cleaned up the house a bit. I think 50 images is plenty and anything more gets to be too cluttered anyways. So, I deleted almost 30 images, and am planning to just keep the 50 and delete one image for any new acceptance. But, I rarely submit much now.
09-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
The standards has always been sort of subjective, but crappy shots never got through, and that's not the case anymore.
It seems to go in cycles. There was a time about a year ago when they were accepting even vacation snapshots in the travel category. Then a couple of months back, I was totally blown away by the consistent high quality of the new arrivals as well as the photos being submitted for voting.

The current crop I have seen for voting as been pretty mediocre, though with most that I vote positive on barely generating any credit on the "interesting" scale. The others are very easy to turn down.

Steve
09-30-2010, 05:42 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Well Steve, that makes it difficult to regulate voting standards even more...
I vote less than 10% positive, sometimes a lot less or were you referring to the fact that even those without gallery acceptance have the right to vote?

Steve
09-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It seems to go in cycles. Then a couple of months back, I was totally blown away by the consistent high quality of the new arrivals as well as the photos being submitted for voting.
I remember that time a few months ago and there were a lot of shots that wowed me.
I also remember a few of months ago they were really being stingy on acceptances. I think out of about 15 shots submitted, only one got in and now it seems to have swung 180 degrees the other way!
09-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #27
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I vote less than 10% positive, sometimes a lot less or were you referring to the fact that even those without gallery acceptance have the right to vote?

Steve
Yes, that compunds issues also if any Jo Blo can sign up to vote.

But now here's the response I got from PPG:

Ashraf, I am sorry for your disappointment in the Gallery. The voters vary for each round of images. You might have a totally different 60+ photographers voting on your image today than you did a year ago. Thisis why sometimes an image will make it through to the Gallery that wasn't accepted a year ago. Would you like for me to remove your image from the Premium Collection? I could put it into the regular Gallery for you? Thank you for your suggestions.

That's an unusual question to ask... particularly when I don't have a Premium Collection image to my name.
09-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Also i'd like to add, i know we all vote to "thin out the herd" but doesnt ppg itself have the final say if a image is accepted or rejected?
10-01-2010, 12:20 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by casil403 Quote
I am curious to know Tanner, which recent acceptances of yours have convinced you that PPG is "worthless" and why?
And are you still submitting or not?
I throw in a, well lets just call it iffy shot every once in a while just to attempt to get into the head of the voters. If they get accepted I delete them from my gallery because they should not be there, period. In addition, I base my reasoning off of other acceptances which can be found here on PF or on the PPG website itself. I know im not alone on this, just few speak up. I mean lets be honest, am I the only one that has been shocked on more than one occasion in regards to an acceptance lately?
:ugh:

And I haven't submitted seriously in a while. I recently submitted some single in September photo's just out of curiosity however. They will most likely be deleted if they are accepted, unless I want to keep them so I have more images taken with Pentax glass

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I dont get what you mean about your ppg gallery. They're wonderful

That said, I do give it a big +1 as well... I don't have much in PPG but alot of the recent stuff just makes me cringe.
See above
Im glad you like it, but it needs to be cleaned up a bit. It felt good getting the first 10, and from there went down hill. I haven't submitted hundreds of photo's I've taken since getting the K-7 because of various reasons (like previously not having an EXIF editor to add the data so my macro images can be submitted.... the ones that were put through a focus stacking software which deletes exif, etc.) but most of all because I just don't care anymore. Its no longer an accomplishment to me getting another in.... I know I sound arrogant but when comparing them to other acceptances I don't know what to think to be honest

the way I've looked at it recently is very much, "yay a once fairly exclusive website accepted my photo to be hosted along side some guys out of focus over exposed shot of his kid's first birthday"

Last edited by yeatzee; 10-01-2010 at 12:27 AM.
10-01-2010, 12:26 AM   #30
Veteran Member

And to quote myself from the PPG acceptance thread (lame I know ):
According to the website:

"The PENTAX Online Photo Gallery is the next chapter in our history. It's an exhibition of select, thought-provoking images captured by specially chosen photographers.
It's an online photography community; a collaboration of talent; an archive of artistry.
...."

My version as of late:

"PPG, the gallery where everyone's image is a sucess!"

:ugh: