Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2010, 12:43 AM   #61
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Fair call Steve.
No qualms on my part for linking galleries onto sigs on the forum - whether one wants to show their work publicly or not is an individual decision and has little bearing in their egos, unless it's pointed out in their posts how good their work is...

A sense of personal satisfaction is garnered from PPG, but little else - and such is the reality with related activities such as this forum. So a little bragging and narcissism doesn't hurt...

10-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #62

Photos: Albums
Steve...I agree with you. I guess it's up to the personality how one cares to treat the PPG. But I dislike when people express their bitter feelings towards the PPG, especially those who contribute little. It seems to me those complaining the most about PPG have nothing to do with PPG, few exceptions of course. Let that gallery be a fun one and not every photos needs to be stellar to be accepted!
10-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric J Quote
Let that gallery be a fun one and not every photos needs to be stellar to be accepted!
I'd take good..... maybe average.... even decent... heck I'll take barely ok for PPG..... but lets be honest. Quite a few photo's are past "barely ok"
10-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #64
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric J Quote
...It seems to me those complaining the most about PPG have nothing to do with PPG...
With the possible exception of Ash (the OP for this thread), matjazz, mcarfan, casil403, and yeatzee (all contributors to this thread)! All have over 50 accepted photos at PPG and all have expressed concern about the quality of photos on the site.

Steve

10-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
With the possible exception of Ash (the OP for this thread), matjazz, mcarfan, casil403, and yeatzee (all contributors to this thread)! All have over 50 accepted photos at PPG and all have expressed concern about the quality of photos on the site.

Steve
Well I have 46 since I've stopped submitting. Maybe I should just get 50 and stop there so im more qualified

edit: there ya go, I uploaded some old macro's to reach 50 with hahaha

Last edited by yeatzee; 10-08-2010 at 12:29 PM.
10-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #66
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Well I have 46 since I've stopped submitting. Maybe I should just get 50 and stop there so im more qualified

edit: there ya go, I uploaded some old macro's to reach 50 with hahaha
Damn! You're right! For some reason, I thought that you had passed the 50 mark.

Steve
10-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #67
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well there's no magical number that earns credibility, but at least it does show some dedication and vested interest in the gallery. Almost all of my own entries are exemplary of my style and flair of photographic work - and I'm sure it's the same for many others here - so the quality of the gallery (both front and back end) does matter to me.

I'm weary of contacting PPG again about this since at my first attempt they 'offered' to strip me from some of my own gallery images because I complained the standards weren't so high...

10-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Damn! You're right! For some reason, I thought that you had passed the 50 mark.

Steve
I had about 60 when counting the for sure's (based off of previous acceptances) in the que but I deleted them after seeing how little an acceptance means nowadays.

At this point I've got atleast 50 good IMO macro's that I can still submit now that I have an exif editor tool to add exif on all of them to meet requirements. Its just a matter of me choosing to submit or not.

The plan as of today:
I'll reach 50 and stop there. I'll continue submitting but will delete every acceptance until I get some more premium gallery shots
10-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #69

Photos: Albums

Steve
Fair point Steve...

I have a feeling that PPG does not visually verify images before accepting. How many of those accepted are getting in with borders, or a sequence of almost identical photos. Just look at the recently added from today [as of 5:30 EST] and you'll see a bunch - some landscapes where the camera was pointed slightly to one side, for example.

As for myself, I believe in variety and that's how I build my PPG collection.

EJ

Last edited by Eric J; 10-08-2010 at 02:57 PM.
10-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #70
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Good lord, I can't even go into the PPG acceptance thread without wincing....

So PPG is the new flickr.... only much harder to use and navigate, with the aurora of that feel good mentality because your image got in and was *accepted*.

This calls for my very first *facepalm* on a forum :ugh:
I have a custom smiley for those rare occasions.

Hand
10-08-2010, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Well there's no magical number that earns credibility, but at least it does show some dedication and vested interest in the gallery. Almost all of my own entries are exemplary of my style and flair of photographic work - and I'm sure it's the same for many others here - so the quality of the gallery (both front and back end) does matter to me.

I'm weary of contacting PPG again about this since at my first attempt they 'offered' to strip me from some of my own gallery images because I complained the standards weren't so high...
Curious. You must have touched a nerve somewhere there for that sort of action to be "offered" to you.

Going back to your original post, I wonder if since peer review is the key to acceptance, that there should be even more emphasis on the submission of images for review. Maybe a folio approach with all or nothing for initial acceptance?

Alternatively, what about removal of voting rights for those who haven't made the premium gallery, or had a new image accepted in three months (example time period only)? Or a review of approved images - if the Pentax gallery staff do not agree with the reviewers first ten acceptances, then they be struck off as reviewers.

That way, maybe the images being voted on will be of better quality.
Then again, good image makers may not always be the best at critiquing others' work.

Personally I am happy to get in with my simple images, and I think I value that someone has taken the time to critique my image and agree that it has some artistic merit.
10-09-2010, 05:00 AM   #72
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Curious. You must have touched a nerve somewhere there for that sort of action to be "offered" to you.

Going back to your original post, I wonder if since peer review is the key to acceptance, that there should be even more emphasis on the submission of images for review. Maybe a folio approach with all or nothing for initial acceptance?

Alternatively, what about removal of voting rights for those who haven't made the premium gallery, or had a new image accepted in three months (example time period only)? Or a review of approved images - if the Pentax gallery staff do not agree with the reviewers first ten acceptances, then they be struck off as reviewers.

That way, maybe the images being voted on will be of better quality.
Then again, good image makers may not always be the best at critiquing others' work.

Personally I am happy to get in with my simple images, and I think I value that someone has taken the time to critique my image and agree that it has some artistic merit.
Excellent points.
But I have no idea why some person from PPG gave me that kind offer - I only expressed my concern over the standards of the galleries in general - making no reference of any images in particular, and ensuring I was as cordial as I could be about it.

Evidently as I recall I *did* have to submit 10 images initially to PPG in order for them to accept me as a 'member' and from there I got the voting rights and further opportunities to submit images. I do think this sort of portfolio appraisal is a good idea to screen for reproducibly good work from artists.

And on the suggestion of voting being left to Premium Gallery artists, this too is a good idea, though I could see them being overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of images to be reviewed - I'm certain the backlog of reviews would more than double!

The removal of voting rights for artists absent from entering PPG for some time is also a decent solution - I'm all for it...
10-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Excellent points.
But I have no idea why some person from PPG gave me that kind offer - I only expressed my concern over the standards of the galleries in general - making no reference of any images in particular, and ensuring I was as cordial as I could be about it.

Evidently as I recall I *did* have to submit 10 images initially to PPG in order for them to accept me as a 'member' and from there I got the voting rights and further opportunities to submit images. I do think this sort of portfolio appraisal is a good idea to screen for reproducibly good work from artists.

Snip....
I'm not sure what the deal was Ash. Seeing you post here, I know that you are always polite, so I am guessing someone was having a bad day at the other end.

Interesting that you had to submit multiple items initially - I only started submitting this year, and was not required to do so. Maybe that is what has changed?
10-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #74
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
...Interesting that you had to submit multiple items initially...
I was scratching my head on that one as well. They limit the number of submissions to ten, but I don't remember being required to fill the slate.

Steve
10-09-2010, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #75
Inactive Account

I can nothing but laugh when I read these threads. No one who was among the first accepted into anything thinks that later arrivals live up to the early standards.

It's like sports. Yesterdays Football players never think todays players are as tough, or as skilled, as they were.

And, I think the very same thing applies here.

Some of you really need to get over yourselves.