Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2010, 07:38 AM   #121
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oscar1 Quote
Looks like this thread accomplished its purpose.

The Exalted class, looking down its nose at the rest of the world, has created an atmosphere of unneccessary embarrasment. As, of course, I suggested in an earlier post it would.

Good Job!
Your comments add nothing to the conversation, of the posters in this thread i have yet to see one of them flame or belittle another member for their photographic abilities, and most are quite active in helping people. Everyone on pentaxforums is joined by an interest/passion for photography nothing more or less.

In summary you are a troll (quite successful), you say you do photography for yourself and don't post any online... maybe your opinions should join them.

10-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #122
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mibane Quote
Your comments add nothing to the conversation, of the posters in this thread i have yet to see one of them flame or belittle another member for their photographic abilities, and most are quite active in helping people. Everyone on pentaxforums is joined by an interest/passion for photography nothing more or less.

In summary you are a troll (quite successful), you say you do photography for yourself and don't post any online... maybe your opinions should join them.
I always find it amazing that people with dissenting, or differing, opinions are accused of being trolls.

The very complaint the the "standards' have gone down belittles anyone who has recently had a photo approved in PPG.

As far as my opinion is concerned. I am as entiltled to have, and express, my opinion just as you are.
10-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #123
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well thanks for your opinion here Oscar, however your opinions here are quite unhelpful. Again, there is no personal attack on anyone's work here, but if the truth is that PPG is permitting more work that doesn't meet their own criteria then it will certainly bring into question the caliber of some people's work. This is not an indictment on the photographers but on the gallery.
So Oscar you can now quit the prejudicial opinion you have and offer something else to the forum, preferably constructive.
10-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #124
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oscar1 Quote
I always find it amazing that people with dissenting, or differing, opinions are accused of being trolls.

The very complaint the the "standards' have gone down belittles anyone who has recently had a photo approved in PPG.

As far as my opinion is concerned. I am as entiltled to have, and express, my opinion just as you are.

Perhaps if you didn't jump into a thread and call people names such as "exalted class" because you don't like their observations and opinions, you wouldn't be getting called a troll. If you can't handle the porridge, don't dish it out especially hot.

Last edited by Blue; 10-22-2010 at 07:26 AM. Reason: typo
10-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I don't agree. It's a very good shot an deserves the spot IMO. Maybe there are other shots that have other elements, but this shot is sharp, well exposed and composed with an excellent background. Nothing wrong with anything in it and I'd be happy to have it in my collection.
Thank you for the kind words Peter, they are certainly food for thought. I have been told before that I am too critical of my own images, perhaps this is just another example. It's simply that I look at the other Premiere images and they are absolutely awesome in so many respects, whereas to my eyes my owl is merely technically competent but not much else.

I will mull it over, thanks for the input.

Oh and thank you too Oscar1 for your lovely words. You seem like a kind and reasonable person. I won't forget it
11-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Damn! You're right! For some reason, I thought that you had passed the 50 mark.

Steve
those I submitted a bit ago to reach the 50th mark were just accepted today

Done submitting indefinitely. I mean, at the very least images in PPG should be sharp yes? Than why am I seeing out of focus, motion blur ridden, etc images ???? It juts blows my mind :ugh:
11-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I mean, at the very least images in PPG should be sharp yes? Than why am I seeing out of focus, motion blur ridden, etc images ????
Not to hijack the thread, but I was the Getty Center (a big famous museum in Los Angeles) to see the "Interested Observer" photojournalist series from the 1960's forward, and also the "Still Life" section, mostly from the 18-somethings.

Out of focus for many shots, and underexposed for even more. Many of us would have chimped those away on the first review....

11-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #128
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Did you like/appreciate that work in the Getty Centre despite these nuances?

There's definitely more to art than just fitting the mould of technicalities but photos such as those should evoke emotion and intrigue.
11-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Did you like/appreciate that work in the Getty Centre despite these nuances?

There's definitely more to art than just fitting the mould of technicalities but photos such as those should evoke emotion and intrigue.
Of course, but I couldn't help thinking "no one would post these on Pentaxforums".
11-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #130
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
For producing artistic work that doesn't obey the technical 'rules' of photography? That's sad. Though there are a number of threads here that specifically post abstract art and creative images using OOF subject matter and motion blur...
11-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #131
Veteran Member

For producing artistic work that doesn't obey the technical 'rules' of photography? That's sad. Though there are a number of threads here that specifically post abstract art and creative images using OOF subject matter and motion blur...
Well obviously there are exceptions, but these are everyday images with no reason to be soft or have motion blur, etc.

I very much promote staying away from technical rules for photography, but come on
11-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #132
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep, there's a world of difference between creative use of shutter speed/OOF and an OOF or blurred snapshot. Doesn't take a fine arts connoisseur to work out that difference.
11-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #133

Photos: Albums
You think so? I guess that's very subjective and there is a genre of photography like that, the subjective image or photo impressionism. I personally love this type of art, be it photography or painted...here is a quick sketch using my camera of the fall season (see below). In this example I didn't really obey every single 'rule' of photography.

On another note, there are 2,830 registered PPG photographers and around 31 here actively involved to discuss PPG. I agree that PPG has an occasional images accepted that's questionable, but that's purely a personal statement and many other people might actually find that image acceptable.

11-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #134
Pentaxian

I have seen the Getty images. I assume you have not. I stand by my post - the majority would not make it here.
11-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #135
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Special K, I have seen some of the work from Getty's images, but not of the abstract genre. But that's fine - the abstract/OOF image threads on the forum may not be all that popular, but there's some nice work there. And as for PPG, I'm not sure. But they do have an Abstract genre, and I'm about to find out if some of my own abstract work in going to cut the mustard for them...

Eric J, I'm not sure how you interpreted my post but I agree with you and admire abstract photography, particularly colour themes and impressionisms. I'm suggesting those artistic results aren't flukes - it takes a creative eye to see the result from the scene in front of the photographer. Definitely harder than it looks, and invokes a sense of awe...