Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2010, 03:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know, I remember a few years ago, someone (I don't remember who) actually came out with some kind of clear cover meant to cover the mirror box: I suppose it didn't catch on. Maybe they're still out there.

09-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #17
ectosaur

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
You know, I remember a few years ago, someone (I don't remember who) actually came out with some kind of clear cover meant to cover the mirror box: I suppose it didn't catch on. Maybe they're still out there.
Aw wow, really? I know that Sigma had a clear filter sealing off the mirror box...but surely that would degrade the image quality? Having another layer for the light to pass through and all.

In any case, I'm kind of going off this idea for a project, just because it doesn't seem to be a huge need for it! It would probably have to be incorporated into some kind of case, too, which isn't ideal in terms of useability. I'm still convinced it would be a useful product (there's been enough people saying so to justify it) - just the situations it would be useful in seem very far and few between. Having two cameras seems to be a very good (if not always financially viable) solution for really icky weather, and dust is easily enough cleaned away.

Thanks again for all your help!
09-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ectosaur Quote
- something that sucks air outwards when a lens is removed and then seals off the cavity...
To paraphrase the ol' saw about "equal and opposite reactions", if you're sucking air out of something, you're either creating a vacuum or sucking air in somewhere else. In either case you're setting up that undesirable "equal reaction" as far as dust goes.

LowePro has just come out with an accessory lens case with an fold-out flap to temporarily hold that second lens while you swap glass. Handy as a shirt pocket!

H2
10-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Positive air flow?

QuoteOriginally posted by ectosaur Quote
Hey, cheers for all the input

A lens changing bag is the obvious solution...but surely there has to be a more user-friendly way than sticking everything in a bag? I've never used a proper dark bag before but had a go using a plastic bag - it was pretty fiddly to say the least!

Nice one! I'll nick it off you if you let me :P I was actually thinking something like a cross between this and unixrevolution's dust door - something that sucks air outwards when a lens is removed and then seals off the cavity...

What about a small port where you can attach a can of compressed air (let's not blow the mirror out of the camera though). This is a technique used in industrial environments where you are trying to keep things clean, think of an air knife, but for the camera opening. You could also sell accessory air cans that attach to the side of the camera so it is always at the ready when in such a dusty/misty situation. Cheap and easy to engineer and there is a new consumable to sell!

Regards,

10-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What about an expandable, clear latex bag that fits from the back of the camera with an elastic?

You put your new lens inside the bag, attach the bag to the camera, remove the mounted lens from inside the bag, attach the new one and detach the bag. Now both your lenses are clear from dust, one is mounted, the other is in the bag, and the camera's prism box wasn't exposed to dust either.

Like a camera's condom. It could work.
10-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Like a camera's condom. It could work.
Will it be 97% effective?
10-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Will it be 97% effective?
97% may not be my ideal success rate for condoms, but for dust on the sensor, it's fine for me!