Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Never Take an Out-of-Focus Picture Again: Adobe’s New Plenoptic Lens Tech

Interesting

QuoteQuote:
By using a bunch of tiny lenses and some rendering software, users will be able to select what they want in focus, even after the photo has been taken. This technology will let users create 3D images on the fly as well.

Never Take an Out-of-Focus Picture Again: Adobe’s New Plenoptic Lens Tech

09-29-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that is nuts... I think this will catch on....
09-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Could be interesting. I guess they could use live view and 'aperture' and 'focus' via software to at least allow you to visualize what you want in a familiar way. And since you control it past the main lens you would always be shooting wide open for better low light capability. But what about lens distortion in the normal and special lens? Would it work for all focal lengths?
09-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cameraboy Quote
sounds like a bunch of crap to me but if you are so useless go & buy postcards.ian
Why are you so angry? Technology advances. That's the way it is. The article says it's a ways from going commercial and probably longer than than before the average shooter can implement.

This looks really cool. It'll be interesting to see how it develops.

10-06-2010, 01:17 AM   #5
Banned

this looks absolutely incredible. i would love to have this type of technology.
10-06-2010, 03:36 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OMG, it's the end of photography as we know it.
10-06-2010, 04:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

But I want the pictures I take with my 50 1.4 to be out of focus...at least that's what I keep telling myself...
10-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The problem with this is that it is unlikely to ever be both small and useful, and we aren't even starting to talk about affordable.

Outside the consumer market, I could see a place for the technology in film, especially for "you only get one take" shots. Being able to change your mind about the look of something after your one and only take could be worth a hefty price tag in that type of situation.

10-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote
The problem with this is that it is unlikely to ever be both small and useful, and we aren't even starting to talk about affordable.

Outside the consumer market, I could see a place for the technology in film, especially for "you only get one take" shots. Being able to change your mind about the look of something after your one and only take could be worth a hefty price tag in that type of situation.
I'm afraid I have to call "balderdash" on that, raz--that's what they said about pc's. I wouldn''t be at all surprised to see this technology enter the mainstream in a decade or two.
10-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raz-0 Quote

People thought we'd always have to shoot the negative in the size print we wanted to make also.

But technology changes. Now people are printing 24x36" prints from sensors that are smaller than an Instamatic film area.
10-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Looks familiar to some other technology I can't remember. Very cool.

There will probably be significant resolution or IQ loss.
10-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Looks familiar to some other technology I can't remember. Very cool.

There will probably be significant resolution or IQ loss.
Possibly not if the mini-images are numerous enough.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's thinking of "Blade Runner" here... I'm certainly interested in this technology, but I'm not holding my breath over it. Will it catch on? Who knows.
What I can see it being very good for is digital photo frames. Imagine not just having a set of photos available to view on a screen, but being able to adjust and explore them using the frame controls. Could be very cool indeed, but might risk becoming seen as gimmicky. Could also work very well together with 3D imaging.

Imagine the RAW file sizes, though. BIG! But I can't see it being a problem in the future if data storage capacity grows at anywhere like the current rate.
10-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I can't help but think anyone with shaky hands would appreciate this one. I personally have a few good shots that would have been just marvelous if my hand had not shaken at just the wrong time. Sometimes it doesn't matter how many pictures you can take of the same person in the same position. One pic may have just the right expression going on and none of the other shots you take seem to duplicate that for some reason. So no matter how many times you try for the exact same shot it never quite works except in the one slightly blurry shot. This technology would be perfect for situations like that.
10-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spongefingers Quote
Possibly not if the mini-images are numerous enough.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's thinking of "Blade Runner" here... I'm certainly interested in this technology, but I'm not holding my breath over it. Will it catch on? Who knows.
What I can see it being very good for is digital photo frames. Imagine not just having a set of photos available to view on a screen, but being able to adjust and explore them using the frame controls. Could be very cool indeed, but might risk becoming seen as gimmicky. Could also work very well together with 3D imaging.

Imagine the RAW file sizes, though. BIG! But I can't see it being a problem in the future if data storage capacity grows at anywhere like the current rate.
Based on information theory, if you're cramming more information into the same number of bins or pixels, you have to lose information somewhere else. The resolution of the object in focus will be notably worse than when captured with traditional methods.

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-07-2010 at 06:08 PM.
10-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I can't help but think anyone with shaky hands would appreciate this one. I personally have a few good shots that would have been just marvelous if my hand had not shaken at just the wrong time. Sometimes it doesn't matter how many pictures you can take of the same person in the same position. One pic may have just the right expression going on and none of the other shots you take seem to duplicate that for some reason. So no matter how many times you try for the exact same shot it never quite works except in the one slightly blurry shot. This technology would be perfect for situations like that.
Out of focus is different than a blurry picture from camera shake. I don't think this will fix that.