Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
White Balance Tweaking

Hey everyone, I was just curious: Do you adjust the white balance often when editing pictures, or does the auto white balance usually suffice? And if you do change it, is it to make it more "normal" and realistic, or is it for more artistic purposes?

09-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tomzee93 Quote
Hey everyone, I was just curious: Do you adjust the white balance often when editing pictures, or does the auto white balance usually suffice? And if you do change it, is it to make it more "normal" and realistic, or is it for more artistic purposes?
I use Auto WB and only in RAW so it is easy to adjust WB. With my K10D, I have to adjust WB often with flash photography. With the K-7, I seldom do that since it is usually pretty accurate.
09-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've shot digicams for about a decade, the K20D for about 2.5 years. All the P&S's generate JPGs (and maybe TIFs and GIFs). I shot JPGs only on the K20D until a few months ago; now I'm RAW only. I almost always leave WB on AUTO on any camera. I *often* have to tweak the WB in RAW developing. That's easy. I *always* use PaintShopPro9's REMOVE COLOR CAST option on non-RAW shots. It's much easier and faster to handle light temperature and white balance in PP than by fiddling with the camera controls. EXCEPTION: I'll try to manually set WB when shooting IR. Sometimes it even works. ;(
09-30-2010, 04:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Auto WB gets it right for me 98% of time. In the remaining 2% of time I adjust it to make it realistic, but that doesn't mean adjusting to "perfect WB", i.e. I deliberately leave a slight color cast to retain the mood of the original scene (this is especially true for shots made under tungsten light).

09-30-2010, 04:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With my K 10 I will often use the digital preview to check out using a non auto setting on the wrong setting , i.e. dull on a sunny day etc, it does bring up interesting and often very usable and improved shots, especially in those very difficult deep shadow with bright background[sky] shots.
try it out , some how it seems to often increase the k10's dynamic range.
Adwb
09-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

AWB and correct in RAW; I find tungsten is still too orange for my liking usually, so I correct that the most.
03-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #7

I have used the K10d since 2007. While in Alaska in 2009, during a very cloudy day changed the white balance setting to Cloudy and have essentially left it there every since for most outdoor daylight photos. I also shoot in the RAW format and will edit the white balance in photo shop if needed. I have found that auto white balance although good tends towards the blue a bit. Using the cloudy setting warms the photo a bit, and gives it a "Kodachrome" look.
For early morning photos, indoors, or in snow Auto is a far better choice.

03-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I shoot in Raw almost all of the time and use auto WB most of the time unless it looks way too warm under indoor lighting. When processing my keepers I check WB and or tweak it with each and every photo I bother to process. As important as exposure, sharpness and noise, I feel proper WB is most important as a place to begin from, as needed of course.

I do find that while using auto while in raw or jpeg with my K-7, the camera gets it right 90% of the time. I can live with that.

Jason
03-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mostly auto, but in certain situations, I'll try & find a better selection before I start shooting. I shoot in Raw and tweak in PP as well.