Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photo Stores in Florida?

I am trying to find a photography store in Florida (particularly within an hour or so of Orlando, Gainesville, Tallahassee, or Jacksonville) that is similar in size to B&H or Adorama (aka, actually physically carry Sigma and Pentax stuff in the store) so I can try out a few things I am interested in buying. The only thing I have found so far is this:
Camera & Lenses Superstore : Orlando and Kissimmee Coupons – Enjoy Florida Magazine

But they don't even have a website. Anyone know of any hidden gems?

10-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are looking for a store the size of B&H outside of NYC? Don't hold your breath. Sorry, but Ritz rules. Ocala has a couple besides Ritz but I don't know what they stock. I remember one is called "Camera Photo Supply, Inc."
10-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not really the size of B&H, just something that carries Pentax and Sigma...
10-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
Not really the size of B&H, just something that carries Pentax and Sigma...
Yeah, I figured as much but the smart-ass in me took over. Sorry.

10-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Sorry, but Ritz rules. Ocala has a couple besides Ritz but I don't know what they stock. I remember one is called "Camera Photo Supply, Inc."
You think Ritz is still open in Ocala? In South Florida, they all closed.

And thankfully, because they really, REALLY sucked.
10-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
You think Ritz is still open in Ocala? In South Florida, they all closed.
And thankfully, because they really, REALLY sucked.
Agree that as far as a real photog store they suck. I live in Va Beach and Ritz is the ONLY photography store here (not counting Best Buy) so I do everything online and hope for the best. My sister whom I get to visit when its cold here lives near Ocala thus my interest in stores there. Honestly, I don't know if the Ritz is still open as I never go to it. Its listed a couple places online as an Ocala photography store however.
10-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah Ritz is all they have around me as well. There are a few in Jax. They blow hard, way overpriced and don't carry much third party stuff.

So is the only source for us Pentaxians the online stores or if we are lucky enough to live in NYC?

10-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

So is the only source for us Pentaxians the online stores or if we are lucky enough to live in NYC?
Yep.

And here's a fairy tale for you, to help you sleep tonight:

In the late 60s and early 70s, there was a boy named Ira who lived in Brooklyn. He used to take the subway into Manhattan and visit 20 photo stores in a day--all within a few blocks of each other!

It was a magical time and magical place, because not only did Store B lower their price on the spot to beat Store A, but combined, these stores carried EVERY brand and model imaginable on earth, not to mention every accessory.

There was also the wonderful smell of film fixer when you opened their doors, plus hundreds of varieties of film kept mega-fresh in refrigerators.

Sigh. Sigh. Sigh.

Olden ruled!!!!
10-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You are talking about Adorama and B&H correct?

My dreams are currently about the new K5 and the Sigma 24-70 F2.8 EX lens that I am dying to pick up, I actually legitimately dreamed about them last night, and quite vividly at that. If I'm telepathic, the K5 rocks lol
10-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I am trying to find a photography store in Florida (particularly within an hour or so of Orlando, Gainesville, Tallahassee, or Jacksonville) that is similar in size to B&H or Adorama (aka, actually physically carry Sigma and Pentax stuff in the store) so I can try out a few things I am interested in buying. The only thing I have found so far is this:
Camera & Lenses Superstore : Orlando and Kissimmee Coupons – Enjoy Florida Magazine

But they don't even have a website. Anyone know of any hidden gems?

wowcbA store the size of BH in Tallhahassee . . . Hysterical I am sorry . . . but that is the funniest thing I have read in a month. laugh

We have a brick and mortar here that would only order the K200d at MSRP with no return option. A year ago, the quit carrying Canon and Nikon. They now only carry bags, a few accy, minimum dark room supplies. They basically just do printing and C41 film processing in house. The 2 Ritz stores, 1 each in 2 malls were consolidated and maybe even maybe even both closed when they went through the bankruptcy period. Bad Buy sell some gear, mainly Nikon, Canon and some Sony with a little Panasonic and Oly thrown in. Jacksonville is better but not by much. Even Atlanta is relatively bleak if it weren't for KEH.

Edit: Tallahassee is just a wide spot in the road with the state Capitol building in it with a couple of Universities near by. People from all over the state send their 'Hack' politicians over here for a few weeks out of the year, and we get blamed for all of their b.s.

Last edited by Blue; 10-02-2010 at 12:59 PM.
03-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #11

I am actually lucky enough (?) to live in NYC, at least, as far as photography goes . But I am about to visit family near Orlando, and I would love to bring my K1000 along with our digital p&s.

I was hoping to buy film after landing at Orlando airport and then have it developed and shipped to me when we leave - on a Sunday afternoon. Short of leaving my film with CVS (I'd be shooting BW anyway and prefer Ilford), are there any places near the airport who sell good film, have a lab and are open Sundays?