Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #1

New Photo Contest$8000 in Prizes from IPA

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, I am a newbie here. Some of the awesome images I have seen here could win the new International Press Association contest that I just hit today.

This is the first day, it is open for entries for two months and they have over $8,000 in prizes including some very cool Alien Skin Software suites and a bunch of tripods from Manfrotto and bags from Kata. They also have free memberships in IPA in the prize packages too.

This should be an easy win, it is their first contest, I am sure they aren't getting tons of entries and it is free for anyone to enter.

Give it a shot, hope we all win.

Not Another Photo Contest, Contest

Attached Images

10-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds good to me as an amateur but the rules should be read very carefully. The photographer retains copyright but the IPA can use the photo for whatever and whenever they want. As I say, as an amatuer, it sounds like fun. The ProPentaxians out there , or for that matter many of the AmPentaxians, (new words?)may not (or may) care for the "usage" part of the rules.

Personally, I'm gonna enter (up to 3 times). I suppose recognition could be a good thing even though I do not purport to be or believe I'd ever be a "Pro". A Pro being someone that earns half of their annual income selling their work. * Per the rules.
Myself, I've never sold a photo or ever even been offered money for any of my stuff. But.. I DO Love Photography!
10-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This right here would stop me entering:

QuoteQuote:
but the IPA can use the photo for whatever and whenever they want.
Oh, and I am a pro photographer.
10-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
This right here would stop me entering:

Oh, and I am a pro photographer.
I've seen your work, REALLY great stuff! Yes, I'm still a little hesitant myself. Here is rule 19, verbatim...
19 • Entrants will retain copyright in the photographs that they submit to IPA. By entering the competition, all entrants grant IPA the right to publish and exhibit their photographs on our website and those of our sponsors. No fees will be payable for any of the above uses. Entrants whose photographs are one of the finalists also agree to take part in post-competition publicity. While we make every effort to credit photographers, including in printed reproductions of their work, we cannot guarantee that every use of the photographs will include the photographers’ names or credits.

Last edited by jonhock; 10-01-2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: had to go get the rule
10-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My pro stuff isn't on this forum or ppg. I shoot teams, and family portraits, etc. The photos you see are just for fun!
10-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
You took the info on the right out of context, here it is from the Rules:

19 • Entrants will retain copyright in the photographs that they submit to IPA. By entering the competition, all entrants grant IPA the right to publish and exhibit their photographs on our website and those of our sponsors. No fees will be payable for any of the above uses. Entrants whose photographs are one of the finalists also agree to take part in post-competition publicity. While we make every effort to credit photographers, including in printed reproductions of their work, we cannot guarantee that every use of the photographs will include the photographers’ names or credits.

IPA only wants to use them to promote the contest winners, which is a good thing and use some of the winning entries to help promote future contests. This is very standard...the photographer owns the rights at all times and only the winning photos may be used for promotional purposes which is again good for the photographer. Who doesn't love promotion?

See and read the complete Rules, there is no small print and $8,000 in prizes with major sponsors. Jeez guys have some faith.

Photo Contest Rules | International Press Assoc. Blog