Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2010, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

When do you upgrade your DSLR?

With all those new and nice camera models coming out i've been plagued by the thought of upgrading. Because i actually don't need to, i wanted to know how often do you upgrade.

Basically there is nothing that dissatisfies me with my current camera. Just some little annoyances. There is no actual problem or requirement that needs to be addressed by upgrading.

Upgrade would be only for the sake of improving what i already have. My K200D is one of the last with previous generation PRIME processors. All later cameras had considerable AF, speed and functionality improvements.

Last edited by ytterbium; 10-02-2010 at 11:22 AM.
10-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What the hell? It says i can only add poll within 10 minutes after i post a thread... how am i supposed to make a qualitative poll and thread within 10 minutes?
MODS PLEASE DELETE THREAD.
10-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot a lot of Squirrels.....you might have noticed? My Squirrel Festus is the Mascot for the WSSA (Worldwide Squirrel Shooters Association- A group of both Pentax and Nikon shooters).
Flickr: Festus 2009's Photostream
Handsome isn't he!

Besides the occasional in building shots that benefit from High ISO abilities, shooting Squirrels in my very well shaded yard in the late evening is always a challenge, so the K5 is a needed upgrade over my K20D, which has done a decent job itself.

There is also the "greed" factor, although I like to deny it, and sometimes it just lifts us a little to get something new to entertain our minds. Mrs Rupert is well stocked with some nice apparel, I see to it...she is most deserving, but every so often she just wants something new.....clothes, handbag, shoes......I certainly understand, and she understands my needs too. So to answer your question, some of it is a practical reason and some a human desire reason. Life is short, if you find great satisfaction in what you enjoy, indulging a little is not unwise, in fact just the contrary. If I were not able to afford my desires, I would certainly take comfort in my good fortune to have what I already use, and be just as happy...and grateful to have it.
Best Regards!
10-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I didn't see any poll? Sorry if I missed it, but leave my response, I think it is a worthy answer.......at least it was an honest one!
Best Regards!

10-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When another camera will do what you need and your current one does not.
10-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
When another camera will do what you need and your current one does not.
Agree...that's why we should upgrade, but not always why we do....and the other reasons are also valid in my perspective.
Best Regards!
10-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Amen to that ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I shoot a lot of Squirrels.....you might have noticed? My Squirrel Festus is the Mascot for the WSSA (Worldwide Squirrel Shooters Association- A group of both Pentax and Nikon shooters).
Flickr: Festus 2009's Photostream
Handsome isn't he!

Besides the occasional in building shots that benefit from High ISO abilities, shooting Squirrels in my very well shaded yard in the late evening is always a challenge, so the K5 is a needed upgrade over my K20D, which has done a decent job itself.

There is also the "greed" factor, although I like to deny it, and sometimes it just lifts us a little to get something new to entertain our minds. Mrs Rupert is well stocked with some nice apparel, I see to it...she is most deserving, but every so often she just wants something new.....clothes, handbag, shoes......I certainly understand, and she understands my needs too. So to answer your question, some of it is a practical reason and some a human desire reason. Life is short, if you find great satisfaction in what you enjoy, indulging a little is not unwise, in fact just the contrary. If I were not able to afford my desires, I would certainly take comfort in my good fortune to have what I already use, and be just as happy...and grateful to have it.
Best Regards!
Very eloquently said, Rupert. I've been sitting on a little "stash fund" awaiting Photokina Pentax announcements to upgrade my K100DS, but a bit of guilt sets in because I find I like my present camera. I enjoy my time being able to go for "photo shoots" and treating myself to a new camera body seems like it would add to the experience. I'm keeping your post for future encouragement. Thanks !
10-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I can afford to (I can always convince myself I need to ;~)

10-03-2010, 02:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I upgraded from *istD to K10D when I thought that at base ISO the images were starting to become more noisy. And I admit I was lured by some amazing market speak about new A2D converter used on K10D which I hoped would give me incredible pictures. Lesson learned.

I upgraded from K10D to K-7, with great reluctance, I should add, when it became unbearable to shoot with one camera by two photogs (my daughter and myself). Although on paper K-7 is way more advanced than K10D, I take advantage of very few of its most amazing whizzbang features. Notably: 100% viewfinder, 1/8000 min shutter speed and built in level. As you can see, none of these three is that much important.

I intend to upgrade again either when one of the bodies my daughter and I use breaks or if I decide to switch systems/go full frame.

I hope this answers the topic question.
10-03-2010, 03:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'll upgrade when my K10 breaks, or if my needs change. I can see that lower noise at high ISO might be great for me as it means I'll be able to get some images with cheaper lenses in marginal light - but for the number of times I'll do that it's not worh 1300 for a K-5, which is the only equivalent in terms of ergonomics to the K10 in the current range. Hopefully the K10 will last long enough for the K5 to be available second hand by the time I need one, but I expect it to last far longer than that.

In the meantime I'll use my K10 to take pictures with an IQ far higher than I could have imagined was in my reach 20 years ago, and spend my photography money on lenses and other accessories. I quite fancy a ring flash.
10-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I upgrades from *istD to K10D after 3 years because the K10D seemed enough of a technical change. I went to the K7D when the shutter failed on the K10D I will upgrade afaik when????? I really don't know. The K5 sounds nice but I am happy with the k7
10-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I moved into digital with a K10d rather than a K100d because after using them side by side the K10d's control interface was much more comfortable with the dual control dials. So far the camera still does everything that I need and I'll probably stick with it for as long as the body lasts. Better high ISO performance would be nice, but I haven't seen a compelling reason to get a newer body. Even if I had $1500 or so lying around and earmarked for photography I'd have a hard time deciding between a new body and one or two new lenses.
10-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #13
Forum Member

Technology is moving very quickly. It makes sense to take a look every 2-3 years to see if the features offered will enhance your skills. Otherwise, spend your money on good quality lenses.
10-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I upgrade when I need something my current kit doesn't provide. Mostly, since I'm relatively new to K-mount, I've been upgrading from cheap variable-aperture zooms to good primes as money allows.

To me, all the current bodies are excellent and would suit my needs. The lenses are a better investment. We'll see how that changes in a few years, but for now the K-7 fits my needs well and my money is better spent on other kit: scanner, film, and lenses that (preferably) work on my K-7 and film SLRs.
10-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I don't upgrade; I expand. Starting with a German 1934 Kodak Retina I folder, the first 135 camera, I acquired Canon 135/HF RF's and a 135/HF Olympus Pen-FT SLR system, then a 6x6 YashicaMat 124G TLR and 135/FF Electro-GSN RF, then a Graflex 9x12 press cam, etc. Those were expansions, not upgrades -- different tools for different purposes. In digital I've gone from a 1mpx Sony DSC-P20 to 5mpx -P10 and -V1's, and a 5mpx Minolta F300 modded for IR, and a 7mpx Oly 770 SW for going underwater (down to 10m), and now the K20D and a zillion lenses.

Those film cams are gone now, replaced by others both older and newer, but the digicams are all still in use. Each has its own purpose. I bought the K20D specifically because I didn't want to feel a need to upgrade anytime soon -- many owners of same-price-range Canikonys on the DPR forums expressed great desire to upgrade beyond the crap they had, and I've avoided that trap.

Buying more lenses -- is that upgrading? I've bought lots of cheap glass, mainly to explore the optical qualities of each lens, not with a view of "This will do for now but I'll get something better later." I bought no kit lens with my K20D; rather, I assembled my kit around the lenses I wanted, and the DA10-17 drove my decision to go with Pentax. I added the DA18-250 and FA50/1.4, and there was my basic kit. I can't really upgrade those lenses, just supplement them -- expand my kit.

Maybe I'd think of upgrading if I was a minimalist. But I ain't. Some people thrive on the discipline of selecting and using just one camera, three lenses, the best of the best, upgraded whenever something with more features comes along. That's nice, but it's not my way.