Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where do you go?

When you get the itch to go on a photowalk, where do you go? Thought this would be an interesting thing for people to share Do you just grab your camera and walk down the block, see where your feet take you? Or have a favorite haunt you keep going back to to see what'll be there this time? Or search up new parks/etc. you can explore locally? Share!

To get the ball rolling, I'm the latter - I google up parks I haven't been to before and bus out there and see what's up. Interested to see what other people do!

10-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I usually don't like walking around arbitrarily (unless I'm traveling somewhere), but what I do enjoy are parks and forests, or pretty much anywhere remote in nature. I also frequent botanical gardens and zoos.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #3

Everywhere I go I always carry my cameraback pack, but mostly I always look for airports, there you can find : airplanes of course, birds, people, open sky without cables or high buildings in a decent perimeter, etc.. there are city airports and country sideairports, they all have something for you.
Try an airport guys, youŽll enjoy it I promise.
*Use google earth to find good spots near a runway end.
*look for "spotting guides" for specific airports in the internet, youŽll be surprised.
*Meet aviation spotters, they are nice people with a hughe knowledge on photography.
Good question Adam.
10-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have the supreme pleasure of being able to stay home and raise our two children. I often take a camera everywhere I go as well so my photo expeditions are most often trips with the kids to one of a dozen select local parks. Later in the evenings my wife and our family will sometimes take walks around the neighborhood and I am clicking away.
For a few reasons I don't often go out alone specifically to photograph. I most often engage in one thing and bring photography with me.

10-04-2010, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Dayton Metro Parks has a working historical farm that offers many photo ops throughout the year. I don't get up there quite as often now, as my kids are getting older.

Tim
10-04-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Good thread to get some idea's floating around!
Whenever i got out with my family (wife +2 kids) i always take my camera with me.
Also whenever im driving im always on the lookout for new and interesting locations/subjects to shoot.

And i always look tend to look thru flickr photos of place's within my reach to find other great places.
10-04-2010, 06:38 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
When you get the itch to go on a photowalk, where do you go? Thought this would be an interesting thing for people to share Do you just grab your camera and walk down the block, see where your feet take you? Or have a favorite haunt you keep going back to to see what'll be there this time? Or search up new parks/etc. you can explore locally? Share!

To get the ball rolling, I'm the latter - I google up parks I haven't been to before and bus out there and see what's up. Interested to see what other people do!
Props to you for exploring.

I am very fortunate in that there are a ton... just a ton of preserves and land trust sites where I live. All within a very short distance. Like you, I look up ones to which I have never been and go... usually the first walk through is more scouting and I don't care if I come up with anything. Then I let it settle in and work out what would be the best light, time of day, season... whatever and I let it gel. Eventually I go back and take photos for real.

There is one road in the next town over... a dirt road with ancient apple trees lining the way, with corn fields off to the side that time and again have yielded some of my favorite scenic photos.

So I do both... And I realize that with the change of every season, those places to which I have been will change and will yield new opportunities.

woof!

10-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Big basin (a state park), around my block and some other parks but I have yet to actually do research to see if there are any interesting spots around me to photograph. I tend to go to the places that I already know and an familiar with but isn't going into / exploring the unknown what makes photography more exciting? Maybe I should take my own advice.
10-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll often head for the woods but I do like urban settings as well. I'll often find myself with an hour or so of surplus time during errands and my parental chauffeuring duties. I've found that if I just stop, get out of the car, grab the camera bag and start wandering, after about 5minutes I'll start to see photos. It's almost magical.
10-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I always try to remember the lesson Dorothy learned in "The Wizard of Oz". She said, "The next time I go looking for adventure, I won't look any farther than my own backyard!" When I get the bug to go shoot, I just start looking at what's around me. Usually, I can find something that's worth a few shots.
10-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

For outdoor pics i usually have a googled destination in mind or some place local, parks, town, yard, etc. Often i just pull out the camera, put it on a tripod and shoot different stuff in the apt... helps to get a better feel for the camera and learn a bit more.
10-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I'm fortunate enough to live near some of the most scenic forests and coastline in the country, up here along the northcoast of California, so I never run out of places to go or scenes or critters to shoot. And when I get bored of the local scenery, I'm only a half day's drive from Lassen, Shasta, the Trinity Alps, and Crater Lake. Of course, having so much great subjects to photograph near at hand almost makes it too easy to get nice shots. It's less of a challenge. Photographers living in less scenic areas must work harder, which will perhaps make them better photographers.
10-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I can't walk too far, otherwise I will end up in the ocean.
10-05-2010, 03:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Rockstar, where's the underwater pics .-)

My photowalk is mostly a photoride, as I'm basically cycling everywhere (luxury of the inner city) and have the camera with me all the time anyway.

Planned walks and rides involve winter time and sparse sunlight. I like parks, railways, and specially all the tourist places. That's for the reason to do some easy street shooting while everybody is snapping photos anyway.

Any public festivities is also quite a no-brainer to get a variety of topics and subjects framed in an instant. Similarly easy to get some shots is concerts and exhibitions.

I also had a look on the map more than once and tried to figure out which streets will have the late sun coming through to get the nice atmospheric shots.

Knowing the way of the sun and transferring it to the map is of benefit for any planned photoshoot/walk (e.g. the morning vs. evening sites etc.).

Enjoy what you do,
Georg

My favourite scenic park with the nice afternoon sun:
10-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Rockstar, where's the underwater pics .-)
If you lived here, you wouldn't get into the water either.

Besides, it's always brown with no visibility underwater.

Oh, and we found oil all over the East end back when the Deepwater Horizon was still spewing.

A recent shark attack.

Abundance of sting rays this year.... I could go on and on, lol..