Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2010, 02:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What Equipment for the Beginner Fashion/Beauty Photographer?

A Very Short but Effective Primer

I have been asked on several occasions "what gear would I need to get started in fashion/beauty photography?"

That is really dependent on what kind of stuff you want to shoot, but what I will try to do here is give you a pretty good base that will allow you to attack most challenges.

Camera:

An entry or intermediate level DSLR with at least 8 megapixels. Must have a hot shoe to allow for attaching either a sync module or dedicated flash (which I do not recommend) Some DSLR's will have a dedicated sync port which is preferable.

Lenses:

I suggest the following. A reasonably good medium wide angle to medium telephoto lens i.e. 18-55, 17-50, 17-40, 16-50 type that will allow you to work in relatively tight spaces. A fixed focal length 50mm lens with an aperture of f1.8 or faster i.e. f1.4, 1.2. This will allow you to shoot in lower light conditions and makes a great all round fashion and beauty lens in the APSC format of DSLR's. I would also recommend a reasonable macro lens for the occasional macro beauty shoots. Finally and this is for those who like shooting telephoto fashion, a 50-200, 70-300 or a variation of this type of medium telephoto to telephoto zoom lens.

Flash & Light Meter:

A reasonably good flash/light meter like Seconic for example.

Strobes:

Two or three mono bloc studio flash units. Most will do the job. Most strobe kits come with strobe trigger devices that attach to the hotshot of the camera.

Continuous Light:

A couple of 500 watt halogen lights with barn door modifiers.

Accessories:

A couple of umbrella’s, a light box or two, a few 7″ bowls with honeycomb grid modifiers and a couple of snoots. If in a studio type space, a few Styrofoam 4′ x 8′ panels, seamless paper support stands and a few colors like white, gray, black and what ever else pleases your fancy.

Oh and a reasonably recent laptop with Photoshop or similar program for doing post prod work at least on a cursory level to commence with.

With this gear, you will have enough to do pretty much anything that your imagination can throw at you. What will be the biggest challenge of all? Not being afraid of the possibilities.

Have a Ball

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/eru

Last edited by benjikan; 10-04-2010 at 02:23 AM.
10-04-2010, 03:58 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good synopsis of the nuts and bolts in starting out in this tough field of photography.
Thanks for sharing.
10-04-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Good post Ben, great for future reference for getting started.
10-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You're welcome guys.

10-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I would also recommend a reasonable macro lens for the occasional macro beauty shoots.
Thanks for the write-up benjikan. Could you post an example or link me to this type of macro beauty shot?
10-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Thanks for the write-up benjikan. Could you post an example or link me to this type of macro beauty shot?
Here is a samples shot with a Tamron 90mm Macro lens.
Attached Images

10-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was wondering about the macro lens and beauty shots. Now I know. Great info.

10-05-2010, 02:54 AM   #8
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you for sharing this Ben, nice breakdown for those thinking about getting into fashion/beauty.
10-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #9
Forum Member

Wow, that is a really small model, Ben. :-)
Thanks for the post.
AJ
10-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Up to the lenses I was OK but then at least for me it went a little fast on all the light.
- Would somebody starting, not prefer to start with less???

I am considering / dreaming of making fashion-wanna-be photo's of my kids at home, where to start?
10-10-2010, 01:47 AM   #11
Forum Member

Great info; always a pleasure to read your tips and insights...

Thanks a million...
10-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If I buy one of the bigger wireless flashes then wouldn't be easy / cheap to re-use that for studio set-up?