Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2007, 12:12 PM   #1

Photo equipment security

Are there any web sits that discuss equipment security wile traveling, hotel rooms in third world country's etc. My bag is a not look like expensive camera type and use common seance but don't want to drag it around with me all the time. Would post the question on dpreview but only have yahoo and g-mail so can not. I'm just a retired hobbyist with a few primes, pocket cam, viewer, and accessories, but what a hassel to source all that stuff back together again.
Tips welcom.

09-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Lets not forget the overall crime rate in the USA is much higher than in most third-world countries. As such, your camera system is as vulnerable in the USA as anywhere else. Therefore, common sense rules apply everywhere, not just third-world countries.

Never leave anything in a hotel room if you value that item. This includes money/cash or anything that can be turned into cash (like an expensive camera system, laptop, etc). If you don't want to carry it with you, consider leaving it in the hotel safe. However, in cheap hotels, I would not even trust the hotel safe.

When walking around, keep your camera equipment attached to your body. Don't sit it down and turn your back for even a second. If you do, you may turn back around just in time to see someone running off with your bag. Likewise, don't hand someone your camera and ask them to take your picture. This is especially true if the person offers to do this. Some crooks hang around popular tourist spots, with a fast getaway plan in mind, just waiting for some fool to fall for this one.

In public bathrooms, don't leave valuables sitting around. A friend once lost a watch in the few seconds it took him to walk across the room for a paper towel after washing his hands. He turned back around just in time to see a guy rushing out the door, several seconds before he realized the watch was gone from the sink. Don't place expensive items on the floor in bathroom stalls. It's easy for a thief to reach under, grab a bag, and run off while you're otherwise occupied. Either hang the bag from a hook well out of reach or leave it with a traveling companion.

The fad in some third-world cities, now gaining popularity in some USA tourist locations, is using a scooter or motorcycle as getaway vehicle after snatching a bag or purse from a pedestrian. To avoid this, walk further away from the curb and keep bags on the side of you furthermost from the street.

Well, that about covers the basics. Most popular tourist destinations around the world are reasonably safe, with police patrols and security cameras fairly commonplace. So, simple common sense, not paranoia, is usually the best way to address security concerns.

stewart
09-09-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by liketobe Quote
Are there any web sits that discuss equipment security wile traveling, hotel rooms in third world country's etc. My bag is a not look like expensive camera type and use common seance but don't want to drag it around with me all the time. Would post the question on dpreview but only have yahoo and g-mail so can not. I'm just a retired hobbyist with a few primes, pocket cam, viewer, and accessories, but what a hassel to source all that stuff back together again.
Tips welcom.
Lowepro make something called a PacSafe in different sizes. It's a wire mesh "bag" that you can put your camera/briefcase/laptop bag into. You put your gear bag inside, close the top of the mesh and lock it to the frame of your hotel bed. The openings in the mesh aren't wide enough to stick a hand through and it is slashproof. The PacSafe folds down into a very small bundle for transportation. This is NOT a perfect solution, obviously, but it is better than nothing.

The PacSafe has other uses too. For example, if you were travelling on a train and wanted to lock up your camera bag and secure it to the seat, in case you were going to take a nap or go to the bathroom.

I don't use the PacSafe all that much if I stay at a hotel. I always try to leave anything than can be stolen with the receptionist or in the hotel safe.
09-09-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
I don't think there is any method that is 100% safe or sure against theft. I would certainly be reviewing my insurance policy to be happy I was adequatley covered.....which reminds me, I haven't had a look at my policy for a year or two...

I believe the other way to go is to make yourself as small a target as possible for these people. Be organised, plan your shoot, think about what lens you may need to alleviate lens changes in busy places.

The only time I have lost a camera was when I left it sitting on a rail while we were having what turned out to be a fairly long, wet, lunch. Didn't miss it for a few days until I opened an empty camera case.
Take care...and be alert.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 09-09-2007 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar