Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As pointed out above, there were no Pentax rangefinders, ever. Yashica, Canon, Nikon, Leica, Argus...all made rangefinders. Pentax didn't.

A Pentax rangefinder now would be chasing a market segment that doesn't exist. A camera like the X100 (Not a true RF) would be more their style. The X100 pushes all the right buttons for a premium digital compact for me:

fast 35mm equivalent prime lens (You don't need a zoom.)

APS-C sensor

Easy controls, including an aperture ring, shutter speed dial and EV dial

Auto or Manual exposure or anything in between

AF or manual focus

An aperture with actual blades in it

Viewfinder

that's my wishlist, Pentax. make it the size of an MX with 40mm pancake and I'll buy two.

10-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I say no.

For Pentax to do this, they'd have to design lenses for the shorter registration distance. Using existing K-mount lenses on those bodies would be a bit of a kludge. The DA 18-55 is 50% longer than Sony's NEX equivalent, when factoring in the adapter; and the DA40 itself is smaller than the adapter would need to be. I, for one, don't want Pentax to stop developing the K-mount in hopes of starting a new EVIL mount.

Now, if they abandoned some of their mediocre compact camera lineup and started making compacts for enthusiasts, I might be interested in that.
10-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
I say no.

For Pentax to do this, they'd have to design lenses for the shorter registration distance. Using existing K-mount lenses on those bodies would be a bit of a kludge. The DA 18-55 is 50% longer than Sony's NEX equivalent, when factoring in the adapter; and the DA40 itself is smaller than the adapter would need to be. I, for one, don't want Pentax to stop developing the K-mount in hopes of starting a new EVIL mount.

Now, if they abandoned some of their mediocre compact camera lineup and started making compacts for enthusiasts, I might be interested in that.
I agree that the best strategy would be to dump the lame compacts they have with exception of the W90 and come up with an aps-c compact. Even the W90 needs vastly improved.

Sigma has the DP1 and DP2 that have a near aps-c sized Foveon sensor in them. If they update those things with that new sensor, they will shake up things a bit. The Fuji X100 is a far more attractive camera than the Leica X1 because it has the hybrid VF that has the optical option and the EVF option. The only compact out there that can come close to these aps-c compacts is the Panny LX3/LX5 cameras.
11-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #19
Pentaxian

A fixed lens rangefinder-like camera does not require brand loyalty—there's no system to build around it. I would have no problem buying a non-Pentax camera in this case, and the Fuji X100 genuinely excites me—it is what I've been looking for (and I've considered a MF film equivalent instead for some time). It has to be compact to make sense instead of a dslr, and this is the ultimate companion to a K-x or may I dream, K5. (My 645N is far from compact but still a dream to work with. But I can't bring it with me all the time—and that even applies to the K-x with 16-45mm, notwithstanding its beauty.)

11-10-2010, 05:09 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Pentax build a rangefinder style camera?

Why?

What would the point of such camera be? Would it take better photos than the K-5 or K-r? Is it just a retro thing?

Jason
11-10-2010, 05:23 AM   #21
Pentaxian

not retro, it's size. I cannot always take a camera with me of dslr format. A rangefinder-like model would be possible in most cases.
11-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've said it before and I guess I may as well say it again.....Do the people who start these "Hey, Pentax ought to make a rangefinder!" threads even know what the hell a rangefinder camera is?

Since they invariably contain remarks that make it obvious they think they're going to be able to slap their K-mount lenses on one and use them, I have to conclude they don't.

You can use your K-mount lenses on an SLR because you look through them and focus them. They won't work on a rangefinder because there would have to be a mechanical connection between the lenses and the rangefinder mechanism on the body. And don't give me all the predictable electronic whizbang workaround crap about having an autofocus sensor in the body and doing some voodoo to connect it up with the viewfinder.

As a purely practical matter, it would make more sense to wish Pentax would make a TLR. Still pointless, though.

11-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I think what they really want is a mirrorless EVIL camera which looks like a rangefinder (preferably smaller since rangefinders aren't THAT small to begin with) which accepts K mounts. Something like a Panasonic GF2 but more retro'ish like the new Fuji.

Jason
11-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I've said it before and I guess I may as well say it again.....Do the people who start these "Hey, Pentax ought to make a rangefinder!" threads even know what the hell a rangefinder camera is?

Since they invariably contain remarks that make it obvious they think they're going to be able to slap their K-mount lenses on one and use them, I have to conclude they don't.

You can use your K-mount lenses on an SLR because you look through them and focus them. They won't work on a rangefinder because there would have to be a mechanical connection between the lenses and the rangefinder mechanism on the body. And don't give me all the predictable electronic whizbang workaround crap about having an autofocus sensor in the body and doing some voodoo to connect it up with the viewfinder.

As a purely practical matter, it would make more sense to wish Pentax would make a TLR. Still pointless, though.
Pentax did make a version of the 43 Ltd with a matching viewfinder for the Leica rangefinders. it was called the Pentax L 43mm/1.9 Special.

Pentax also made a TLR prototype. The thing I'm not too keen on seeing from Pentax is an EVF. The exception would be a hybrid system like Fuji is bringing out with the X100.
11-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Dave, Rangefinder focussing is far faster and easier than split prism.... i use both
the fuji looks very interesting, the fixed lens isn't necessarily bad depends on how you want to use it. On RFF it sure seems to be a hotly awaited camera. the viewfider they have come up with seems to be an updated RF variant. Personally i don't the the registration distance of k lenses allows for rangefinder design and size. That being said id they do come up with one (that doesn't cost what an m8.2 or m9 cost) i'd be all over it. Perhaps they should partner with Cosina on one (like Epson did) Cosina has the rangefinder expertise and is respected by the current RF community, pentax has a a very loyal community (that overlaps with the RF community sometimes) both make great lenses they could likely design something very desireable together and share RD costs. Remember Pentax is developing and EVIL unlike any other supposedly - though i'll believe it when i see it. Really if they opted for m lens compatibilty and built it like the k5 they'd put leica in serious trouble
11-19-2010, 06:35 AM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
There'll be no change until one camera company tries it first... and meets with succcess. Then everyone else will jump in the pool and introduce near-identical cameras within 6 months. The conservatism of the camera industry is almost laughable.

Personally, I see no reason why a modern DSLR can't be the same size as a classic from the 1970s or 1980s. As for a modern "rangefinder," I agree a true rangefinder is really outdated technology. But a rangefinder alike (call it an EVIL if you like) with a built-in viewfinder - EVF or OVF is fine as long as it's good - would be warmly received. If Pentax unveiled one that took DA Limited primes it would be a winner.
Well, AFAIK there is a reason; the reason DSLRs are so chunky is that the sensor unit + SR unit + LCD is much thicker than just film and a pressure plate. The thinnest DSLR, if I recall correctly is the Olympus e410 at ~53mm, but the register distance is about 38mm, so there's ~15mm of electronics stuffed between the sensor and the back of the camera. There might be a way to make a retro DSLR though, but it would involve creating a new mount with a smaller mirror and a shorter register distance. Taking advantage of the size of the APS-C sensor, the register distance could be two- thirds of what it is now, theoretically. If the register distance could be gotten to ~30mm or so, then it would be feasible to stuff all those electronics into a 35mm-sized body.

Last edited by Super A-wesome; 11-19-2010 at 06:50 AM.
11-19-2010, 06:51 AM   #27
Veteran Member

i for one could live without the screen, but i am in the minority
11-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #28
Inactive Account

I would kill for the equivalent of a digital Contax g2-- optical viewfinder, rangefinder, autofocus, great lenses, small...
11-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm always amazed by the size of my ME. Its fully automatic, and still super tiny.

Would love if they made a DSLR that compact. Maybe with EVIL and/or dropping the back LCD it's possible.
11-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #30
Veteran Member

If someone made a digital RF system, there's absolutely no reason it could, should, or would be Pentax that does it.