Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Comments on my new kit?

All my life I shot with a point and shoot, always intrigued by the BIG professional looking SLR cameras. Now I am older and have enough money to get one... so I bought books, and learned how everything worked. Understanding Exposure has to be my favorite book, by the way.

I posted here about 2 months ago... I haven't stopped shopping since then. I've put all the inputs together, and finally, I put an order in... and I'm so excited to get my stuff! Here it is:

1x K10D Body
1x Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8
1x Pentax DA 50-200 f/4-5.6
1x Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4
1x Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4

3x 2GB SD Extreme III
1x D-L150 BATTERY for K10D
1x PENTAX D-BG2 Grip
1x Remote (battery,grip and remote all came together as a package)
1x O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras
1x Lowepro Sling Shot 300 AW Digital Camera Bag Back Pack
1x Pentax PEAF540FGZ AF-540 FGZ P-TTL Shoe Mount Flash

1x Bogen / Manfrotto 055MF3 Magfiber Pro Carbon Fiber 3-Section Tripod with 3275 Compact Geared Head

I can hear it already... yes, I spent a lot, but it's been a dream and a long time coming. You'll notice the lack of macro or up-close shots lenses... since I mostly do landscape and pets/babies shots, I have no need for that (yet).

You guys think I'll have fun for the next months?

09-16-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Daaamn that's some serious gear.

The only thing from that list I wouldn't buy is the Lowepro, and that is only because it is optimized more for photography than hiking.

I'm currently using a Eureka GetAway backpack with a Tamrac SAS filter holder on one strap and Tamrac MAS lens cases on the belt. Unfortunately all of the "better" hiking backpacks with better shoulder straps and more pockets did not have D-rings to clip my camera strap to. While hiking, I clip my camera to one of my backpack shoulder straps with two carabiners for ready accessibility. With two 'biners, it doesn't flop around much at all, but when I want to take a shot I only need to unclip one and the second makes for a nice backup if I ever drop the camera.

The Eureka was $60 at Walmart

The Targus XL also makes an OK laptop + camera combo, and is far better than the Eureka in terms of number of smaller pockets and the ability to carry a laptop, with the following issues:
Tamrac MAS cases on the belt easily slide off when the backpack belt is unclipped. The Eureka has sections of the belt that it is impossible for any MAS case to slide off of.
The Eureka has more D-rings on the shoulder straps
The Eureka has side pockets seperated from the main backpack with "pole holes" that you can slide trekking poles (such as a Leki Sierra FS) or monopods through.

Most hiking backpacks I've seen don't have the same "pole holes" as my small Jansport daypack or the larger Eureka pack.
09-16-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
Syb
Veteran Member

wow!

Impressing and great set! You've got almost the entire range covered...

Now you' ll only hope that you will like working with it... I bought an important part of my actual gear (K10d, grip, Sigma 17-70 Sigma 105Macro, bag, tripod, and some more stuff) from a bloke who said he "found out that photography was not his thing". Yet, he had -- like you -- collected a great bag full of stuff and sold it to me for an affordable price!

This forum has a great marketplace, too!

So keep us posted!

Seriously: I hope you will enjoy every part of your new set. You must have spent a lot of money on it, but if you like photography, it will be worth the dimes!
09-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great set, really impressive
I hope we'll see some pics soon...
btw. with lowepro, good choice, I have the smallest brother of that lineup, Slingshot 100 AW, really good, so enjoy

09-16-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow!! That is quite a kit! You will have lots of fun! ...just try to keep it simple and don't get overwhelmed!
09-16-2007, 08:37 PM   #6

Most impressive

What you'll want to do now is to start taking a lot of photos- so that your average cost per photo across the price of your equipment falls! (This is how I justify my purchases...)
09-16-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow! You got more gears in 2 months than I got in two years ! .

Agree with the others : Now shoot and post , please

Welcome to the forums !

BTW , If you decide to get a macro lens , give Vivitar Series 1 105/2.5 a thought , eh ?

09-17-2007, 06:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I second the Vivitar Series 1 105mm f2.5 Macro.. I wouldn't even waste my time with something else.
09-17-2007, 07:10 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I semi-agree with the addition of a macro lens. But...then your kit would suit my shooting style, not yours. Overall, you've assembled a killer set-up! You did your homework well.
09-17-2007, 08:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would agree with some about a 100 mm(approximate) macro, or a much faster 70-200 (plus matched multiplier to get to 300mm)

This will be a personal selection based upon what you want to do, and it may take some time to decide
09-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Wow, I am impressed! I bought my K10D also this summer after using years my old Canon T70 film slr. But I have to bye more gear more gradually . I considered also to bye several 2-4 GB SD's but ended up buying just two 8 GB SDHC's as they seem to be now cheaper per GB! (I payed ca. 90 euros for class 6 Transcend 8GB sdhc's)

Last edited by gawan; 09-17-2007 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Tried to correct some typos
09-18-2007, 08:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Holy cow!!!

As-tu gagné le 6/49??? (translates to: "did you win the lottery?")

Thats an impressive setup. Now go take some impressive pictures! Being from Chicoutimi you have some of the provinces nicest landscapes so I look forward to seeing your work!

Pat

(Ps: je viens de Chicoutimi beau coin!)
09-19-2007, 03:08 AM   #13
Forum Member

Wow tu t'est bien équipé!

Bienvenue sur le forum

Nice to see another quebecois on the forum ;P
09-19-2007, 05:13 PM   #14

good luck!