Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2010, 02:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How do you store and take care of your lenses

How do you store and take care of your lenses?

What do you use to protect your investment against fungus etc.

Do you use any dehumidifier, dry boxes etc.

Would love to hear opinions and procedures.

10-23-2010, 02:50 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There have been a few threads on this. Generally, it depends from your location. If you are in a region of very high humidity, it is best to store the lenses, the camera and all your accessories incl. cards, ... in a dry location. Especially the lenses and body could be kept in a dehumidifier, some dry boxes with silicates, ....

A number of Pentaxforums have the same problem and they will share their experience.
10-23-2010, 03:51 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's not much more to it than that. Cool, dry storage place with moisture absorbers in the boxes/cases the lenses are stored in.
10-23-2010, 07:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

"Store"? "Care"? I have lenses and cameras out the wazoo! They're scattered all over the place! At least since I started selling off my identifiable excess, I have fewer gear-stuffed grocery bags occupying lower shelves. No, really. I can get away with this because I live at a dry elevation with little dust. So my less-used lenses are stashed away in drawers, while the more-used glass sits out waiting to be grabbed, and lens cases pile up in corners. I look around from my desk. Upper left: 20 cameras and bodies and 10 loose lenses. Another 25 lenses atop the shelves behind me. A half-dozen sitting on the printer-copier next to my elbow. My cup runneth over...

10-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't take any special care of them at all. They get taken off the camera, get capped and go back into the bag.
10-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So far I keep my SLR lenses in a bag that's made to store multiple lenses, caps on and with a desiccant baggie or two. I do want one of those dry boxes because it is humid here in the summer, but I haven't gotten around to getting one as yet. I'm still trying to figure out which one to order. My digital lens is on my camera, caps on, and that's sitting on the desk beside me as I type.

I don't have a DSLR bag as yet and my Fuji bag as it turns out is just too small for the *ist with the 28-200MM zoom lens on. Since that's the only digital lens I have at the moment (I still lack an M42 adapter.) I figure it might as well stay on the camera for now. I'm not going to be switching lenses for a little while. I've actually been storing the camera with lens in my laptop's bag at night till I can get it a proper DSLR bag of it's own.

There's not much I can do right now other than that, but I'm actually very careful about not touching my lenses and keeping them as clean as possible and I've actually never had a lens go bad despite the humidity here. (Knock, knock...) I've bought a couple that had fungus and had one given to me that did, but I didn't keep them. I didn't want them mixing with my good lenses.