Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

Using flash (but not off-camera)

I've been reading as much as I can about getting an external flash and using it properly. I'm looking into the Metz 48, but that's not the point of the post. After reading around, I'm wondering about a few things.

I don't foresee ever taking shots that would require me to set up an additional off-camera flash/soft box. Is it still worthwhile getting an external flash that will only be used mounted to my K-x?
Also, is there ever occasion to use the flash directly pointed at a subject (since I always read about emphasis on 'soft light' and bouncing the light off of whatever surface is available)? What would you be doing if you're out in the open? Forgive my ignorance, but is this when you would be using a diffuser?

10-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An external flash mounted on your camera (especially if the head tilts and swivels) will give you far more options than the built in flash. The built in flash has a fixed position and very little power, which limits your options for diffusion and, overpriced gimmicky add ons aside, makes it virtually impossible to bounce the flash's light above you or to the side.

Direct flash, either straight on or diffused, can be used as fill light to reduce shadows when you are shooting with another strong light source (like the sun) coming from a different direction.

Taking lighting one step further than an on camera flash would be obtaining a P-TTL remote cord to go with a P-TTL flash like the Metz 48. The cord would allow you to hold the flash in one hand and the camera in the other while moving the flash up to an arms length away from the camera and pointing it in any direction you please. A flash on a remote cord can also be very useful for close-up and macro lighting. Wireless P-TTL can accomplish many of the same things but isn't necessarily as reliable or convenient, especially outdoors.
10-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Very helpful! Thanks for the information. For now I'd probably skip on the remote cord, though that might be suitable for certain situations.
So direct flash can be helpful in filling out some of the shadows on a subject matter when there is a strong backlight, does the same apply for a dark setting? Would it look to artificial or harsh if I used an external flash + diffuser straight onto a subject? (I'm thinking outdoor night street photography).
10-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yoon395 Quote
Is it still worthwhile getting an external flash that will only be used mounted to my K-x?
Yes, it is. First, it will be more powerful. Second, it will move the flash from the axis of the lens and pretty much eliminate red-eye at normal distances. Third, with a tilt/swivel head, you can bounce if needed.

QuoteOriginally posted by yoon395 Quote
Also, is there ever occasion to use the flash directly pointed at a subject (since I always read about emphasis on 'soft light' and bouncing the light off of whatever surface is available)? What would you be doing if you're out in the open? Forgive my ignorance, but is this when you would be using a diffuser?
This is used for most events and weddings. The vast majority of people shoot with the flash on the camera at weddings. If you know how to set-up your exposure and flash, it will look great.

Soft light has it's place, but direct flash is useful too. If you'd like to see some examples, google Terry Richardson. He shoots direct, on-camera flash for most of his work. It's not to everyone's taste, but it is currently in vogue.

10-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #5

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
I use the Metz 48 on a K20D and its much better than the built in unit, that thing is hopeless, specially after using a hotshoe mounted flash unit. Using bounce flash is easy and gives better results and softer light. Off camera flash isn't to hard either and can produce even better results. Use a wireless trigger/receiver setup like the cheap Yongnuo RF 602's and your on your way.
10-26-2010, 03:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes - it's definitely worth getting.

In keeping with my Credit Crunch approach to photography I have a Cobra flash I picked up second hand in exchange for some pocket lint and a piece of string: I can't remember how much I paid but it was virtually nothing.

It doesn't support PTTL but that matters not - I jut put it in manual, fire off a few test shots to get the right exposure and then fire away using my judgement to bump the exposure up and down a little as the subject moves. Obviously you have no control over the flash - it's full power or nothing - but you can still get decent results as you have control over sensitivity, shutter and aperture. And did I mention it was virtually free?

That said I borrowed one of my dad's flash guns the other day. It is one of Pentax's own, but an old one so it also doesn't have PTTL - but it does have a head that swivels as well as tilts. I've never used a swivel head flash before, but I wouldn't buy one without a swivel now - being able to shoot portrait as well as landscape is brilliant.

Basically an external flash gives you more light, and light you can control by bouncing off things. And if you're using digital you get instant feedback so you can get excellent results very easily.
10-26-2010, 06:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is a ton of advise on how to use a hotshoe mounted flash here.

http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/

I mostly use mine with a flash diffuser like the following.

You can see how it softens the shadow in these photos

Directions for making the diffuser are found here.

DIY Reflector-Diffuser

Tim