Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 12:20 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wow!!!! Best of luck to you in finding some sort of resolution. I read it all and feel for you. Anybody that reads this and still decides to do business with Spencers is just asking for trouble. Plain and simple.

It's things like this which are why I fix my car when it breaks, rather than taking it to a shop to be repaired. It's this line of thinking that now has me wondering exactly how hard it would be to do the conversion yourself? What all is involved?

11-24-2010, 05:37 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the support. I believe it will come out all right in the end, right now it's just the v e r y long waiting time until I get my camera back. I'm not a three months and counting.

I've read a bit online about DIY conversions. My impression is that while it can be done, it's not something the casual user wants to take on. Too many new skills, not necessarily having and adequate set of tools, a great deal of risk that you will trash your camera, and also even if you've done the conversion of the filter over the sensor properly, you still have issues setting up the camera to function in the new mode. So, after self repairing my flash last year (it was a success, but hairy), I made a decision that this was something better left to a pro. YMMV
12-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Update.

I decided to give Spencer's a call about the status of my camera conversion yesterday. Whomever I spoke with, after finding my order, said essentially that they were sorry and didn't know why it hadn't gone out yet and would overnight it to me. Low and behold today I have my IR converted K-100ds. I'm just beginning to check it out but so far it looks and works good.

Initial notes:

The good - my original viewfinder which was scratched by me sometime ago, was replaced with a clean non-scratched one. That's cool, I didn't ask for nor expect that. Score one for Spencer's.

The bad - my eyecup is gone. That also was unexpected. As I happen to have a spare, I'm not going to bother trying to resolve that with Spencer's so minus one for them.

This was about the second image I took today. I had gotten the color IR version which lets in a bit more visible light. This is a trash image shot through my dirt window on my truck. PP work in PS was fairly simple and doesn't seem like it will be too much extra time.

So far so good.
01-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #34

I wonder just how many of us there are. He's had my camera and money, since last April. He refuses to answer my emails and I even got the Utah BB involved, he wouldn't answer their's either so they just closed the file. And like an earlier poster, when I originally looked into this guy I only found positive reviews. I'm still finding them and am just dumbfounded. It's almost as if the guy is schizophrenic. Some people love him, I absolutely despise the guy.

01-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by spinnerator Quote
I wonder just how many of us there are. He's had my camera and money, since last April. He refuses to answer my emails and I even got the Utah BB involved, he wouldn't answer their's either so they just closed the file....
BBB is next to useless. Contact Utah Attorney General. You never know....

Case in point: Nixon lawsuit seeks restitution, penalties from former Rolla woodworker who scammed consumers.

The guy mentioned as "Another consumer paid the defendant $1,500" used to work with me in the same office. It took more than 2 years to get his money back.
01-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Call them. It worked for me. I have to say that after I cleaned the sensor when it came back from them, I'm absolutely satisfied with the work on the camera.
01-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #37

At this particular juncture, I'm not entirely sure that I can remain dispassionate and logical speaking on the telephone. I have written and rewritten multiple emails to remove the vitriol. Just the thought of speaking with this man is has reduced my patience level to absolute minimums.
06-17-2011, 04:42 AM   #38

surprise

Suddenly, today, out of the blue, I recieved notice from USPS that I'm getting a package from Mr. Spencer. One can only assume my camera is coming back to me. Whether the conversion has been done or not is another question unanswered.

06-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I wish you luck. My own K10D experience with Spencer's was top notch, but I guess any business can eventually go bad if they are not careful or get lazy.
03-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #40

hello

my problem with spencer camera in utah

I send an Olympus E-1 + Zuiko 12-60 swd for AF calibration

before getting the camera responded to all my emails, after receiving the camera did not answer my emails.

I wrote at least 8 emails .... unanswered

I wrote the number 9 saying that would put this matter to a lawyer, he responded that night. apologizing ...

I paid 305 dollars on 14 February by the conversion + shipping

I've written three emails, and I do not respond at all ...

I will complain to paypal ...for a refund to my account paypal

already finished my patience with this guy

if clarens spencer not send the camera, converted or un-converted ..... I'll put the case in the hands of an attorney

this man is A FRAUD

i don't know what will happen with my camera and lens

when i close the case ....i will write again

Last edited by rafael1984; 03-08-2012 at 01:39 PM.
03-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #41
Veteran Member

i agree with Tim, the direct approach (by phone) is the best. I am not involved with Spencers, but I sent an email to a company on a product issue, and received a response phone call yesterday, nearly 2 years later.

Some companies don't respond to emails at all, if they ever take time to even read them.
03-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #42

Bramela, while some 'companies' may not respond to emails, it's clear that Mr. Spencer has no problem reading his emails until he gets your money, my situation being identical. He got the threat of lawyer email. He doesn't deserve the excuses.
03-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am so glad this thread was started. I purchased a used camera just for an IR conversion. I hate to hear the trouble the OP and a few others have had, but given my lack of patience you've saved me from a possible nightmare.
03-09-2012, 05:12 AM   #44

What's even more galling for me, is that last year I got notification from U.S. Postal, that I could expect a package from Spencer's Cameras and it never came.
03-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #45
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Are there any alternatives known to Spencer's to do full spectrum conversion on a K5?