Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-27-2010, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #16
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
This is probably OK with photography. I found out the hard way, however, that you'd better be aware and consciously deciding that you will never sell your business as a going business.

Robert Smith Photography is not a name that you can sell. I should know. I had to part out my very successful consulting business as the result of naming it after myself and worse referencing my network. Robert Smith and Associates to follow your model. If I had been able to sell it as a going business, I'd have made more, and probably would have had income in the form of consulting fees to the new owner for YEARS.

I know it is thinking big to think that some day you may sell you business. On the other hand I'd posit the notion that in some respects that SHOULD be the natural extension of thinking about going into business.

Picture People
would not be the very large business they are by calling themselves Robert Smith Photography.

Nothing wrong with your suggestion Ira. On the other hand, it is a decision that carries consequences and those consequences should be weighed seriously when you go into business.

woof!
When you're doing photo work in small markets--and huge markets like New York and Los Angeles--people want to know your actual name, and not some hokey business name, where maybe the business can send any shmuck to shoot their job.

Not only does using your own name make it easier for people to remember you, but it's more personal, sounds more trustworthy, and also sounds LESS EXPENSIVE to the potential client.

10-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
...people want to know your actual name, and not some hokey business name, where maybe the business can send any shmuck to shoot their job.
Do you mean like Olan Mills?
10-27-2010, 06:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
You could do much worse than they have. They are past their peak now, but they've been in business since the '30s.
10-28-2010, 01:31 AM   #19

Upon thinking I'd come up with a good suggestion, I was a little disappointed to discover that there are already a lot of Google hits for "Penumbra Photography" (in both Australia and the UK).

The highest hit for "Penumbra Studios" wasn't a photography service though.

Or perhaps something to do with the simpler "Umbra"? Perhaps it's too obvious an answer to the question?

Good Luck!
~Joe

10-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
You could do much worse than they have. They are past their peak now, but they've been in business since the '30s.
Thank you.

The company operated through two divisions: Church Directories which was its top revenue generator, with about 60% of the national market and Studio Portrait which featured several hundred studios in Kmart, Belk, Macy's, and other stores in the US and Puerto Rico.

Among other things, the company served 11,000 churches and published more than 3 million church directories each year.

I'd merrily throw my name over for 1% of THAT business. Noonecantellimadog Mills it is!

woof! [Advocating hokey names since 1989] woof!
10-29-2010, 06:42 AM   #21
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Thank you.

The company operated through two divisions: Church Directories which was its top revenue generator, with about 60% of the national market and Studio Portrait which featured several hundred studios in Kmart, Belk, Macy's, and other stores in the US and Puerto Rico.

Among other things, the company served 11,000 churches and published more than 3 million church directories each year.

I'd merrily throw my name over for 1% of THAT business. Noonecantellimadog Mills it is!

woof! [Advocating hokey names since 1989] woof!
What are you thanking him for?

Olan Mills was a guy's actual name:

Supporting my original suggestion to use your actual name.
10-29-2010, 06:43 AM   #22
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
Thank you.

10-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
What are you thanking him for?

Olan Mills was a guy's actual name:

Supporting my original suggestion to use your actual name.
The OP specifically stated he wanted suggestions beyond his own name. I started my response with the qualification that use of one's own name is probably OK in photography. I then proceeded to point out why one MIGHT want to consider not using one's name. What was the harm there? Again, given that the OP had SPECIFICALLY requested suggestions OTHER than his own name.

I am sorry you took that personally. On the point of Olan Mills being someone's name, thanks for the kind and polite correction. I do not however have any reason to retract or even modify my original point. There is nothing further to be said about that. It is common sense and I stand by it.

You are trying to hijacking this thread as a platform to prove yourself "right" YET AGAIN. I doubt it is appreciated. This is not about YOU. Sit DOWN.

PrivateRyan, I am sorry. Truly sorry. I do have some suggestions. I'll take those to PM now.

woof!
10-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I always found people tend to actually forget the photographer's name and if I did start a studio, I would actually name it ..."That Photo Guy"