Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Mixing Flash Trigger Brands

This may have been answered but i could not find it....

Can you mix different brands of radio flash triggers and recievers that use the smae frequncy (433mhz)? I own a trigger and reciever and am looking to add to it... I can purchase the brand I have but have found some deals on a pack of 4 to 5 recievers for next to nothing on ebay and amazon.....

I know that some things have a certain way of communicating with its own brand but is that the case with the cheaper flash trigger?

I'm using my flashes manually so I'm not worried about auto mode use at all!!!

Thanks for any help!!! Andrew

10-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The only problem I have with some of the cheaper ones is that they only have a few channels. I could imagine if there were other wireless flash users with me that this could cause some problems.

I would imagine if the receivers match the frequency you're using you should be ok. Hopefully, someone with more experience than me will post an answer too.

(In checking ebay, all the receivers I looked at all are 433mhz, with the cheapest using 4 channels).

Last edited by chalion; 10-27-2010 at 05:53 PM.
10-27-2010, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From all that I have read, mixing and matching tends not to work. The only exception that I am aware of seems to be the Phottix Atlas units, which are compatible with some of the 433Mhz Pocketwizard Triggers.

Personally, I can also confirm that Yongnuo RF-602 and Cactus V2/s units aren't compatible. All reports also indicate the new Meike RC-7 triggers and the Yongnuo RF-602 aren't compatible.

I don't know too much about the technical side of things, but I do know that triggering receivers is a tad bit more complex than just having the same frequency.
10-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree that you will likely find incompatibility. I once bought some Gadget Infinity Cactus triggers and some non Gadget Infinity (GI) triggers (virtually identical) and they wouldn't play together. I had to go all GI. I have however used OLD pocket wizard (big brown boxes) components and my understanding is that those old receivers will work with the newer triggers provided you use the same channel.

10-28-2010, 06:18 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ok thats what I thought but it never hurts to ask though.... Thanks for the replies!!!