Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #1

About professional photographers

Another place I go had posted this and I couldn't help but share it with my fellow Pentaxians. It's pretty funny stuff, I think anyway.

(Btw, I'm on the side of the pro). It's all in fun folks...satire....

Enjoy:

Make sure you have the volume on.

IF the link doesn't work, go to You Tube and type in "The Truth About Professional Photographers" and look for the animated 3:05 minute clip.

10-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

All that Hockey talk, is Wheatfield behind this? BTW, pretty funny - the pro is right (and pro I am not!).
10-28-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

10-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Yeah, if being a professional means being an ass, I'd rather stay amateur.

10-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Somewhere between the ignorance of the newbie & the arrogance of the pro, surely there has to be a happy medium???
10-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whoever made this obviously isn't a professional videoographer or 3d animator, but they have an expensive PC with Adobe Premiere so they must be!
10-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Whoever made this obviously isn't a professional videoographer or 3d animator, but they have an expensive PC with Adobe Premiere so they must be!
It's automated. You give it text and it 'reads' it. The animation is generic.

10-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
It's automated. You give it text and it 'reads' it. The animation is generic.
I was a joke.
10-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
I was a joke.
I thought about it after that it could have gone either way.
10-29-2010, 04:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I thought about it after that it could have gone either way.
It's even funnier when I make a typo in a 4 word sentence. I meant "it was a joke" although "I was a joke" is just a funny.

Anyways,
I'm not too impressed with the elite of any craft although I'll recognize skills.
10-29-2010, 04:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Priceless!
10-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tranzistors Quote
Yeah, if being a professional means being an ass, I'd rather stay amateur.
What this video needs is a professional artist whose medium is photography to come in and put the "professional" in his place. A lot of the wedding and portrait photographers that are out there have a reason to be intimidated by the fact that professional equipment is available to their customers for the same price as one or two sessions with a photographer, but someone shooting for magazines and stuff doesn't really have to worry because their skills are on such a different level.

I got a DSLR to take nice pictures of my family after considering that hiring a photographer for portraits would get me pictures from 1 day in history but a DSLR would get similar results as my baby grew for the same price.

Add to that the fact that going out to take pictures on your own time can be a lot more spontaneous, low stress, and enjoyable than scheduling an appointment and trying to look good and trying to get a baby to behave. If I go out to take pictures and the baby just wants to keep moving there is no barrier to saying, "oh well, lets just play and have fun." If there was a photographer on the clock that would not be very fun.

Sometimes like weddings, you need someone to be a designated photographer because you want your guests to enjoy themselves, you are obviously preoccupied, and if the pictures come out bad you (or the bride) have an outlet to vent your stress and frustration against. I'm sure that last part of the job for a wedding photographer, being a human punching bag, probably sucks the most but it saves a high strung bride from destroying a friendship or personal relationship and it is part of any business where you have to deal with customer service.

If you are good enough to hack it as a professional your results will speak for yourself and there is no need to be an arrogant prick or be intimidated by every amateur with a DSLR.
10-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Sometimes like weddings, you need someone to be a designated photographer because you want your guests to enjoy themselves, you are obviously preoccupied, and if the pictures come out bad you (or the bride) have an outlet to vent your stress and frustration against. I'm sure that last part of the job for a wedding photographer, being a human punching bag, probably sucks the most but it saves a high strung bride from destroying a friendship or personal relationship and it is part of any business where you have to deal with customer service.
If that's what you expect professionals to put up with, you'll be sorely disappointed if you ever have to hire one. I don't go on jobs to be someone's stress reliever and punching bag.
10-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #14
Inactive Account

If that's what you expect professionals to put up with, you'll be sorely disappointed if you ever have to hire one. I don't go on jobs to be someone's stress reliever and punching bag.
Customer service and appeasing upset customers is something any professional whether they are a lawyer, waiter, website designer, hotelier, retailer, house painter, or gardener. Its might be more difficult for photographers since a lot of them are self employed so there is no manager that the customer can talk with and deal with, but if you take money to render services and your customer isn't happy you are going to hear about it and you should do your best to find a way to please them.

If you don't then when your client's friend goes to get married or needs a photographer, they will either not recommend you or they will go out of their way to trash you.
10-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Customer service and appeasing upset customers is something any professional whether they are a lawyer, waiter, website designer, hotelier, retailer, house painter, or gardener. Its might be more difficult for photographers since a lot of them are self employed so there is no manager that the customer can talk with and deal with, but if you take money to render services and your customer isn't happy you are going to hear about it and you should do your best to find a way to please them.

If you don't then when your client's friend goes to get married or needs a photographer, they will either not recommend you or they will go out of their way to trash you.
I'm not talking about good customer service. I'm referring to the idea that you should roll over and take abuse from customers because they are stressed. And really, that's not a customer that I want.