Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2010, 11:05 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Lord Almighty, another FF debate thread......

LOL. I say escape it all and buy MEDIUM FORMAT!! hehehe

seriously, though, I'm with Wheatfield in getting the 50 F1.4, and IMO maybe a flash (based on the lenses you have). But more important than WHAT equipment you have is this: do you know HOW your equipment will work for you in every lighting situation??

Weddings have a lot of changing light ranging from very very dark (if inside church or reception hall) to very very bright (outdoors with contrasty lighting). I'd say that whatever you have, if you know the limits of your equipment you'll be good. But know them, and know them well. Worst time to figure out what your lens can do is AT a wedding.

Note that your kit lenses have a wide-open aperture of 3.5, which may or may not do it in lowlight without flash (actually, it won't unless you like a lot of motion blur). AND ALSO, when you zoom out, the aperture closes down and that will bring down your shutter speed!

You may already know all this, so hope you don't mind me saying all this Just making note for people's future reference from my own experiences.

11-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #17

If you're just helping him as a second shooter, just for this one wedding, then I would suggest renting a lens rather than buying. You can rent all the nice glass you want, for a few days for the wedding and still keep cost to a minimum. the folks over at CameraLensRentals.com - Canon, Nikon and Pentax Lens Rentals. are great.

At a minimum, I'd recommend trying to rent the DA*16-50, DA* 50-135 orthe sigma equivalents (EX 24-70, EX70-200).

Just my 2 cents.
11-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thnx 4 the tips guys. in response to wat u said DUGRANT 153 . i definately agree with you that knowing the limitation of ur equipment is must before a wedding, i have beeen playing with the kit i have got when possible, i had it for under two months now i know the limitation under light .one thing i want advice on ev compensation if i increase the ammount of exposure compensation and reduce the shutter speed and use a tripod can i get away using flash in low light conditions without effecting pic auality massively. thnx in advance guys .
11-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i was thinking of may be getting another fast lens may be with af as i have tried one of the prime lens which i borrowe from my m8 smc 50mm 2.0m and i'll be honest i really strugle to get the right focus ,i was getting better pic with da 50-200m af may be coz i have been using the later for over a month now .only thing 2.0 made difference to was helped me reduce iso in low light photos

11-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lenses are more important than the camera. Having said that my lens kit for wedding including FA 31, 43, DA*16-50mm and DA*50-135. Several things you will need to plan/know.

-learn about your role, can you shoot relatively close to the action, or are you only allowed to shoot from the perimeter?
-what are they looking for from your shots; mostly the bride/groom, their close families or guests?
-learn to know the environment; church (no flash), outside in the courtyard, evening dinner reception and the dance?
-learn how to use flash effectively (must for dinner reception and dance party)
-get to know the program well; anticipation - where do you position yourself for good shots?

Most important of all, have fun.... do not get uptight about not getting a shot (you don't want to miss the next one and the next one as well). Have some confidence and think positive that your shots will look better than the other guys.

Good luck on your assignment...

Oh, take RAW if you can... more headroom for errors

Last edited by aleonx3; 11-01-2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: added more comments
11-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #21

Keep in mind though, having a faster lens and using it wide open will give you paper thin DOF, which is typically something you'd only want for close detail shots and some portraits.

As for the tidbit about using slower shutter speed and a tripod, that will only work well if your subject is very very still, otherwise you will see motion blur.

Since you have the k-x, which fairs well with relatively hi ISO shots, just make sure you shoot in RAW and you should be able to take care of most issues in post-processing.
11-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i really wish i could afford the 16-50 & 50-135, but can't and i am based in u.k so struggling to find one on rent plus at the moment m just thinking to shoot few weddings to built my portfolio and get some exp. under my camera so thinking of not charging or do it for the cost for few wedings. once m earning can think of buying 50-135 fo sure .any suggestions for rentals in england.thnx

11-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax k-x Quote
i really wish i could afford the 16-50 & 50-135, but can't and i am based in u.k so struggling to find one on rent plus at the moment m just thinking to shoot few weddings to built my portfolio and get some exp. under my camera so thinking of not charging or do it for the cost for few wedings. once m earning can think of buying 50-135 fo sure .any suggestions for rentals in england.thnx
If I can only take two lens, it would be the DA*50-135mm plus the FA31mm; matching my combo K-7 and K10D. That is also one more reason why you should not follow the ill advice that you should go the FF route now (not saying that you shouldn't in the future but not before you have already experienced enough in APS-C). The DA* zoom lens are still relatively inexpensive since most people still get paranoid about SDM failure. A 'used' FA 31mm may also be reasonable priced and not hard to get especially with the introduction of new DSLRs - certainly percentage of people will change systems.
11-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I second that aleonx3, That would be a sweet set up the 31 with the 50-135.

My set up for weddings
K-x with Sigma 30 1.4
K20D with DA 70 2.4
In the bag
DA* 50-135
and a Flash (Though I have yet to use it)

In the car
Sigma 18-50 2.8
Pentax 43 1.9
11-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #25

Bit of a hijack, but if you could only choose between a 50-135 2.8 or a 24-70 2.8, which would you pick?
11-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dummey Quote
Bit of a hijack, but if you could only choose between a 50-135 2.8 or a 24-70 2.8, which would you pick?
Very different lenses.... if you don't already have 17-50/2.8 I'd take the 24-70.
11-06-2010, 12:57 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Very different lenses.... if you don't already have 17-50/2.8 I'd take the 24-70.
I agree with this. It DOES come down to your style of photography and how you intend to shoot the wedding, but the 24-70 provides the most versatile range for wide to semi-tele photo.

that being said, the DA*50-135 is such an awesome lens.
11-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #28

Photos: Albums
My approach to weddings is heavy on the documentary side. Other than the ceremony and formal poses, I find myself shooting a lot in the sub-20 mm range (with an APSC camera). This gives an "in-the-action" atmosphere to the photos, whether they are in the bride's room, candids before and after the ceremony, who's at which table or above and in the middle of the dance floor. Ultra wide and fisheyes with ceiling-bounced flash work great for the dance action.
11-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
help anyone, whenever i put my 50mm 1.7 a lens and turn on the camera it ask me to choose the focal length from 8- 700 approx can anyone tell what no should i choose and what diff. does it make .thnx
11-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax k-x Quote
help anyone, whenever i put my 50mm 1.7 a lens and turn on the camera it ask me to choose the focal length from 8- 700 approx can anyone tell what no should i choose and what diff. does it make .thnx
Way wrong thread; however, your 50mm focal length is.......well, 50. It's for the Shake Reduction.