Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
Inactive Account

first wedding

hi all, m an amateur soon will be assisting my m8 as 2nd shooter, have k-x body,18-50mm, 50-200mm da lens,thinking of buying 50mm 1.7 m or 1.4m as that's all i can afford at present any suggestion about lens choice will be really appreciated...many thnx

10-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are on a budget, get the 50/1.7. It's a very good lens.
10-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thnx 4 the advice wheatfield,any chance u know why pentax don't do 1.7 now a days with af or i have not looked hard enough
10-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may find one second hand. Check this forum's marketplace for fast fifties. I'm sure an f/1.4 will suffice as well.

Enjoy the job.

10-29-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
should i go for a "m" or "a" lens
10-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i think m asking too many questions apologies in advance ,my m8 who is a pro thinks that i made a mistake by investing in pentax system ,he thinks i should have gone for nikon or cannon as pentax don't do full frame camera, and i will regret in future.is that right
10-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
"M" and "A" lenses are both manual focus. Look in the beginners forum for the sticky threads about using manual lenses and about using the green button. "M" and "A" lenses don't work the same way so know the difference before you buy.

Are you going pro as well? Can you afford a pro set up with FF camera, FF glass, stabilized glass? If you can then buy a full frame camera and lenses. Starting off with a crop sensor Nikon or Canon doesn't necessarily offer you an advantage for upgrades unless you specifically plan each lens purchase to work with your future full frame camera.

10-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax k-x Quote
i think m asking too many questions apologies in advance ,my m8 who is a pro thinks that i made a mistake by investing in pentax system ,he thinks i should have gone for nikon or cannon as pentax don't do full frame camera, and i will regret in future.is that right
those who claim that they are pro wedding photog and shoot only FF are nothing but hot air... as far as I am concern. I have yet since one who shoots a FF impressed me - nothing more than bragging right.
10-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

should i go for a "m" or "a" lens
Get whatever 50/1.7 you can afford, whether M, A, F or FA. If you can afford the more expensive A version, get it. If you can afford the F or FA versions (probably $200+), get that.
10-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The FF argument is for high ISO more than anything imho, and APS-C (including pentax) is certainly catching up in that department. Even if you do in the end want a full frame canikon, just keep buying used lenses and you'll be able to recoup whatever you spend with little to no loss. You will lose money in camera body but you'll lose the same amount even if you go upgrade to FF in canikon world anyway. Pentax do has alot of things that canikon cannot offer, such as the limiteds and abundance of old lenses. Long story short don't worry about it now and enjoy what pentax has to offer...

I agree with the 1.7 sentiment... get an AF lens (F50/1.7 or FA 50/1.7) if you're not used to MF. I wouldn't try to learn how to MF the first time as a wedding shooter.
10-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Lord Almighty, another FF debate thread......

Nikon and Canon both make good stuff.
Pentax makes good cameras and I think better lenses.
At the studio I played at, we got to really like the pictures from Pentax.
Often, we liked the look of the pictures more. We used the Pentax for the technical stuff as well, again because of the lens quality.
My Pentax lenses are less flarey than the Nikkors, which is a big deal in a studio, it makes it way easier to light stuff.
It's also a big deal in the church, where you have no control over the ambient light.
Were I you I would definitely be considering an upgrade, but I think the K5 is a better choice than a system change.
10-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The k-x is a great camera for wedding photography so I would not fret about it. As northcoastgreg said, You might be better served with a FA lens unless you are really good at manual focusing. I don’t use my M lenses when shooting weddings, however when I am not getting paid I usually have an M lens on my camera. I feel it really helps me with improving my composition and getting used to shooting in manual. Something to think about
Budget $2,500

System Canon
(Full Frame)
1 5D Mark II $2,499
Canon Total $2,499
Too bad… No money left for a lens

System Pentax
1 K-x $450
Sigma 18-50 2.8 $425
Pentax FA 50 1.4 $325
Pentax DA* 50-135 2.8 $800
Pentax Total $2000
And you now have $500 to put forth towards that Limited lens you always wanted.
With that said, my wife has a Canon 5D mark II and I shoot with a K-x and k20d. I will probably be getting the Canon 5D mark III for myself when it comes out. However, the k-x is perfectly capable tool for weddings. If it was not for the Pentax system there is no way I could have afforded to get into wedding photography.

Captivated Studio | Grand Junction | Telluride Wedding Photographer
10-29-2010, 11:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
probably cost more than the lens but a flash and diffuser should be added to your bag sometime in the future and a power pack; quantum or lumedyne with cables if you plan on doing more events.
10-30-2010, 07:19 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thnx for ur input guys,really appreciate it. i feel proud on my pentax now thnx to u guys, as montman mentioned that it is better to have inexpensive body and few good lenses than expensive body and one lens
10-30-2010, 08:39 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect that Pentax will always be somewhat behind the curve WRT camera body performance, simply because they aren't competing in the really upper tier leagues where small format camera cost upwards of $5k (the 645D is in a different category completely).
However, for weddings/portraiture, blazingly fast FPS rates don't matter, high ISO performance is somewhat less important (and has been addressed anyway), and AF speed is generally somewhat less important (though AF lock on is).
The present releases from Pentax are all capable wedding portrait camera, the recent releases (K-r, K5) are as good as anything else out there for weddings/ portraiture on paper, and are a cut above when looking at the overall package, which means looking at the pictures that come off the cameras.