Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the thing that I learned at Disney...it rains every day about 1pm! Maybe it was the time of year when we went (July), but you could always tell when it was getting ready to rain because the vendors started setting rain panchos out for sale. So you might want to stick a plastic bag in your hip pocket, just in case. For what it's worth, I carried my camera around DisneyWorld for a week and nobody hassled me at all.

11-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
Good eye! Yes, I was dressed as Russell from Up! and my wife as Snow White.
Ha! That's pretty good. Similarly, I have a "grape soda" pin on my camera bag.

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the thing that I learned at Disney...it rains every day about 1pm! Maybe it was the time of year when we went (July), but you could always tell when it was getting ready to rain because the vendors started setting rain panchos out for sale. So you might want to stick a plastic bag in your hip pocket, just in case. For what it's worth, I carried my camera around DisneyWorld for a week and nobody hassled me at all.
That's a "summer in Florida" thing... we usually go in January and it doesn't rain at all most days. Still, it's a nice place to have a weathersealed body and lens.
11-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good to know for Disney World if I ever get out that way. It did rain 1 day in Anaheim while we were there, but the rain stopped by the time we woke up. I don't know about Disney World, but Disneyland has a show called The World of Color. It is an evening show featuring fountains of water colorfully lit with images projected against the fountain. If you're in the front row, you are guaranteed to get wet. In fact, Disney employees walk around selling rain ponchos for about $6.50.

Fearing my K-x would get wet, I had my wife buy a poncho and we converted it into a make-shift hunting blind

I did have a K-7 with me, but considered the 12-24mm was not sealed i figured it was a moot point. So I opted for the better high ISO capability of the K-x instead.

Here's another (not one of my favorites) picture where they projected an image of a Light Cycle from the upcoming Tron Legacy movie. Every so often the fountains would mist the front of the lens and I'd have to wipe off before continuing to shoot.

Last edited by einstrigger; 11-04-2010 at 10:39 AM.
11-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
Good to know for Disney World if I ever get out that way. It did rain 1 day in Anaheim while we were there, but the rain stopped by the time we woke up. I don't know about Disney World, but Disneyland has a show called The World of Color. It is an evening show featuring fountains of water colorfully lit with images projected against the fountain.
That is a new (as of earlier this year) show that is exclusive to Disney California Adventure. It looks amazing, I am looking forward to getting back to CA to check it out. Disney World in FL has Fantasmic (as does Disneyland), which also features images projected on water (as well as a lot of other things), but usually only the first few rows get misted. Disney World also have Illuminations, at Epcot, which is a water/fireworks show, but the fountains are all pretty far away from the audience so you aren't in much danger of getting wet.

Last time we were in CA, it was August and when we got off the place onto the tarmac at Burbank, it was something like 108'. I would have LOVED some rain.

11-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account

If you go to DisneyWorld in July and August, you have to have your head examined. Because unfortunately, because of the kids' school schedules, that's when everyone goes.

And doubly unfortunately, Orlando is like an OVEN during these months. As an example, I live 3 hours south, and it's COOLER down here at this time.

Best time to go and cheapest for hotels:

Day after Thanksgiving weekend is over through right before Christmas.
11-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #21
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What a timely thread. I am going to WDW this Tuesday 11/9. Any other advice from seasoned sages here. I am planning on bringing my Kx and the trio of 15,35,77 limiteds. I am going with my wife and two kids (8 and 5 yrs old). This is the first time for us. We will be staying at the Contemporary Resort. I have looked at a lot of shots online to get an idea of the major sites. We will probably be mostly in the Magic kingdom and Epcot.

Thanks
11-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
What a timely thread. I am going to WDW this Tuesday 11/9. Any other advice from seasoned sages here. I am planning on bringing my Kx and the trio of 15,35,77 limiteds. I am going with my wife and two kids (8 and 5 yrs old). This is the first time for us. We will be staying at the Contemporary Resort. I have looked at a lot of shots online to get an idea of the major sites. We will probably be mostly in the Magic kingdom and Epcot.

Thanks
1. Have a GREAT time! Don't try to do everything - there is simply too much to see and do. Try not to do a "commando run" - the attractions are only part of the fun and if you run from ride to ride, you can miss much of what makes it special. If you are thinking about taking photos during at attraction - only do it the second time you see it.

2. Don't get stressed out - it's good that you've done some planning, and staying at the Contemporary is a great idea. (I love that hotel!) Even though it's impossible to know everything, you will want to know at least the important stuff so that you have an idea what to expect. Ie, fastpasses - how to get them, that you can come back any time after the appointed time, etc... and child swaps. If your 5-year-old is too scared to do any rides, you tell the cast member at the entrance to the queue and they'll give you a special fastpass and you and your 8-year-old can ride, and when you're done, your wife and your 8-year-old can ride. You probably won't need that but it's good to know. Your 5-year-old will probably be fine for most everything except the "Sum of all Thrills" in Epcot and probably the higher-intensity version of Mission Space. (That ride can be very intense!) There are some rides at Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom that my 5-year-old won't ride but most stuff is no problem.

3. Photography-wise - one thing that they don't really tell you is that it gets dark at night! They use pretty low lighting once the sun goes down. You will definitely appreciate having the high ISO performance of the K-x.

4. As I mentioned earlier, Disney is extremely tolerant of photography; expect to see countless DSLRs and probably even some film SLRs and maybe even a rangefinder or two! By and large, you can take a picture anytime, anywhere. There are a couple attractions where this is forbidden but there will be warnings. Generally, it boils down to: do not use your flash on the dark rides! Especially Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean. You can even take photos on the rollercoasters if you're brave enough. Strangely enough, Carousel of Progress usually forbids photography completely, but that will probably be the only one you see like that.

Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

11-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #23
MSM
Veteran Member

Groucho: Thank you for the very informational post. I think I am reaching implosion time on all things Disney. Any tips on photographing the fireworks over the Castle? My wife booked a room on the side that faces the Castle and fireworks so the kids can watch from the balcony. I do have a cheap monopod come to think of it. I just can't see bringing my tripod down. Perhaps the balcony railing it self could be support for the long exposure. What settings and focal length would you suggest? Regarding the darkness issue, I am wondering if I should bring the 43 mm in place of the 35 mm. I figure there will be a lot of close focusing opportunities which is why I thought of the DA 35 limited.
11-08-2010, 04:36 AM   #24
Ira
Inactive Account

Thanks
You're going at a great time, and the weather's been fantastic.

But if you don't already have them, do yourself a favor and go to Wal-Mart today and pick up $1 ponchos for the family, just to be safe. Otherwise, you will have the privilege of buying that same poncho at Disney for 10 bucks, because it has a mouse on it.

Other insights:

1) They don't have the fireworks at Magic Kingdom every night, so check the schedule. The hotels provide daily schedules for all the parks.

2) It's A Small World at the Magic Kingdom (MK) is fantastic the first three times. More often than that and it can have severe psychological effects on you and your loved ones.

3) You can't drink beer in the Magic Kingdom, but the monorail goes right through the Contemporary if you need to sneak away! (It's a long day there.) This is especially important if you do It's A Small World more than three times, as noted above.

4) The laser show at the end of the day at Epcot is okay, but it's not worth passing up an evening at Downtown Disney for. (And Downtown Disney is free.)

5) If you're deciding on whether to do Disney Studios, and if they already started the Osbourne Christmas Lights display, definitely do it. They take a New York City street, light it up beyond belief, and it lights to syncronated music. Plus, it SNOWS!!! REALLY, REALLY FUN!

6) Dining is a tough one, so be careful with your choices. It's 25% overpriced fast food crap, 25% overpriced but not really good higher end stuff, 25% decent mid-level stuff, and 25% good higher end stuff. If you want to PM for specific suggestions, I would be happy to do so. But I can't reiterate this strongly enough:

When you go to pick up hot dogs and sodas for the family...and get 5 bucks change from your $100 bill--you'll know exactly what I'm taking about.

7) And in line with #6 above, bring lots of money.
11-08-2010, 05:18 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Thanks
Were you trying to work in the shuttle launch to your schedule? Discovery's last flight. *sobs a little*
We have stories around the forum for that as well.
The kids might find Magic Kingdom a bit more interesting than Epcot so go to Epcot first and then raise the bar even higher when they see Magic Kingdom.
11-08-2010, 05:27 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Groucho: Thank you for the very informational post. I think I am reaching implosion time on all things Disney. Any tips on photographing the fireworks over the Castle? My wife booked a room on the side that faces the Castle and fireworks so the kids can watch from the balcony. I do have a cheap monopod come to think of it. I just can't see bringing my tripod down. Perhaps the balcony railing it self could be support for the long exposure. What settings and focal length would you suggest? Regarding the darkness issue, I am wondering if I should bring the 43 mm in place of the 35 mm. I figure there will be a lot of close focusing opportunities which is why I thought of the DA 35 limited.
I actually have not found much need for macro lenses at Disney, but like I mentioned earlier in the thread, there is something for all photo taste. The closest I get to macro photography is shooting some of the miniatures in the Art of Disney stores. Speed beats macro IMHO. My first DSLR trip, where I had an 18-55, 50-200, Zenitar 16, and 50 F1.4, I used the 50 for something like 49.5% of my photos. Generally, most people tend to shoot very wide except for at Animal Kingdom. Fisheyes and UWAs are pretty popular choices.

I enjoy having a tripod there but then, I've been pushing a stroller every time I've brought one so it's been easy to toss it in the bottom, or I've been going back solo at night with photography being a top priority. If you're facing MK from your room, you could set up a tripod there, or use some other rigid support. I have taken photos from the 14th floor fire escape at the Contemporary a few times (I haven't stayed there lately - I have Bay Lake, the new DVC building next door, on waitlist for January but doubt I'll get it)... here's some MK looks from there at 135mm.

...and here's how it looks at 10mm.

For fireworks, you will probably want something in the 50-100mm range. (The fireworks will look huge over the castle from there. However, most will be behind the castle, as most shells are fired from an area behind the park itself.) The best firework advice is tripod, F8-F11, bulb mode, and use a wired remote shutter release. I haven't shot them from the Contemporary but I have from the beach at the Polynesian and I used my 50-200mm somewhere around the low 100s.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
4) The laser show at the end of the day at Epcot is okay, but it's not worth passing up an evening at Downtown Disney for. (And Downtown Disney is free.)
I disagree - I really like Illuminations, certainly more so that the "Wishes" fireworks at MK. It's got a great soundtrack.

QuoteQuote:
5) If you're deciding on whether to do Disney Studios, and if they already started the Osbourne Christmas Lights display, definitely do it. They take a New York City street, light it up beyond belief, and it lights to syncronated music. Plus, it SNOWS!!! REALLY, REALLY FUN!
Agreed.

QuoteQuote:
6) Dining is a tough one, so be careful with your choices. It's 25% overpriced fast food crap, 25% overpriced but not really good higher end stuff, 25% decent mid-level stuff, and 25% good higher end stuff. If you want to PM for specific suggestions, I would be happy to do so. But I can't reiterate this strongly enough:

When you go to pick up hot dogs and sodas for the family...and get 5 bucks change from your $100 bill--you'll know exactly what I'm taking about.

I would generally agree with this, though I would skew things towards higher quality - there is a lot of terrific food to be had at Disney. I tend to avoid the burgers - sometimes good, sometimes just OK. At MK, I love the Columbia Harbour House - great tuna sandwiches, clam chowder bowls, and apple desserts. The Plaza is a nice, relatively cheap sit-down (and they have a very good burger!) The character meals can be fun - either Crystal Palace in MK (if your 8-year-old can tolerate Pooh) or Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary, where you can watch the monorail go by while you eat.

Price-wise, I don't think that they're far off most other amusement parks or similar places, and the quality is certainly much better than you'd get at non-Disney parks. There are, of course, good and bad deals to be had. For example, a good deal is an ice cream sandwich from the Main St Bakery in MK - it's got two full-size cookies and three scoops of ice cream. (That bakery is amazing - try a cinnamon roll!) That being said - yes, things are fairly expensive but you should understand that going on. If you just stew about the prices, you won't have a good time. Just accept it and move on.

The good thing about the cost at Disney is that you can really see where the money goes. It is generally sparkling clean, the cast members are very friendly and helpful, there is countless free live entertainment, and the big shows are spectacular. (I seem to recall reading that every Illuminations show, which does run nightly, costs about $20,000 or more to put on!)

Oh, and you probably already know that you can get all the schedules for fireworks and other shows on their web site. Also, if you have a phone with a data plan, they have a new feature that will show you wait times for sit-down restaurants near you. (Generally, it's hard to walk in to a sit-down - you need reservations long ahead.) If you have specific Verizon phones, you can buy their Mobile Magic, which gives you live wait times, character greeting times, etc.
11-08-2010, 07:10 AM   #27
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote

I disagree - I really like Illuminations, certainly more so that the "Wishes" fireworks at MK. It's got a great soundtrack.
The problem is that it starts so late, and with young kids, after a full day there, it's a bitch to stake a good viewing spot...you have to wait...and everyone gets cranky.

This is where the most flexible park hopper passes come in handy, and if you're staying for a significant number of days:

It's great just relaxing at the pool at your Disney hotel for a day, and then hopping on the bus or monorail at like 8PM to see Illuminations...or earlier to eat there first.
11-08-2010, 07:14 AM   #28
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
I love the Columbia Harbour House clam chowder bowls.
You mentioned my favorite thing there--that clam chowder.

I ALWAYS have it when I'm at the Kingdom.

I also like the drumsticks, but what I do is buy one before we head back to the hotel, and stick it in the fridge there or on ice as a snack.

And at Epcot, no one should miss Soaring!
11-08-2010, 07:38 AM   #29
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
You're going at a great time, and the weather's been fantastic.

But if you don't already have them, do yourself a favor and go to Wal-Mart today and pick up $1 ponchos for the family, just to be safe. Otherwise, you will have the privilege of buying that same poncho at Disney for 10 bucks, because it has a mouse on it.

Other insights:

1) They don't have the fireworks at Magic Kingdom every night, so check the schedule. The hotels provide daily schedules for all the parks.

2) It's A Small World at the Magic Kingdom (MK) is fantastic the first three times. More often than that and it can have severe psychological effects on you and your loved ones.

3) You can't drink beer in the Magic Kingdom, but the monorail goes right through the Contemporary if you need to sneak away! (It's a long day there.) This is especially important if you do It's A Small World more than three times, as noted above.

Thanks for the tips Ira. I am starting to get concerned with the Small world thing. I have heard of the brain pain that it causes. My daughter is looking forward to it. Maybe it will help me forget about the money

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Were you trying to work in the shuttle launch to your schedule? Discovery's last flight. *sobs a little*
We have stories around the forum for that as well.
The kids might find Magic Kingdom a bit more interesting than Epcot so go to Epcot first and then raise the bar even higher when they see Magic Kingdom.
Is there a shuttle launch coming up? I don't follow it. That would be really special for the kids to see.
11-08-2010, 07:44 AM   #30
MSM
Veteran Member

Groucho: Thanks for the tips on the fireworks. I will give it a go. I think I may just bring my 43mm in place of the 35 mm. I will try the 77mm for the fireworks.

Any thoughts of video with the Kx? I am thinking of leaving the camcorder at home and just taking a few clips with the Kx.