Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Smibs.tv -- Webcasts about Fine Art Photography

I ran across this webcast a while back and have watched a few episodes. some are painful to watch but others are pretty interesting. I have been meaning to pass the link along but keep forgetting. So here it is while I am still lucid this AM:

Smibs.tv | Fine Art Photography Weekly

I guess there are also times when the webcast is live and people can Skype or IM to the show.

I usually watch it via Justin.tv but the site works well also...not sure if they have YouTube vids as well.

11-07-2010, 06:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty good, but I agree - some are painful to watch. Maybe that's too strong a word, but he does need a much much tighter edit to get to the real content and remove most of the banter that may be of interest to him but not others.

Thanks for posting
11-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Thanks for the pointer.

I watched episode 12 with Michael Reichmann (the guy who complains about Japanese companies because they don't build products for photographers but didn't recognise this very quality in the K-7 when he had it for his hands-on "review) and it was rather boring. Lot's of chatter and almost no substance. It went over an hour and the only useful information I got out of it was at the very end about using the adobeRGB colour space to see a better approximation of the real histogram when you are shooting RAW.

Do you have a recommendation for an episode that is worthwhile watching?
11-11-2010, 04:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Pretty good, but I agree - some are painful to watch. Maybe that's too strong a word, but he does need a much much tighter edit to get to the real content and remove most of the banter that may be of interest to him but not others.

Thanks for posting
yeah, I guess they are rather new at this. So it should improve over time, one hopes. I just thought offering it as a potential resource beyond the idea of the how-to videos out there which are good but there is a point of saturation.

And yeah, there are the pregnant pauses in the interview process as well as needing some better way to display examples of the photographers work and perhaps some of their creative process. Hopefully it will improve as the host refines he interview process. Still it is something different from the norm these days where it's all about measurebation.

11-11-2010, 04:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Thanks for the pointer.

I watched episode 12 with Michael Reichmann (the guy who complains about Japanese companies because they don't build products for photographers but didn't recognise this very quality in the K-7 when he had it for his hands-on "review) and it was rather boring. Lot's of chatter and almost no substance. It went over an hour and the only useful information I got out of it was at the very end about using the adobeRGB colour space to see a better approximation of the real histogram when you are shooting RAW.

Do you have a recommendation for an episode that is worthwhile watching?
Yeah, I have found a few like that as well. As to a "good" episode I have not watched that many and nothing stands out to me. Perhaps I enjoyed it simply because it wasn't the norm in terms of photography related web video. And certainly the host needs to improve in his process as well. But with time it might get better, because as I mentioned above, Iam not sure if they have been at it a full year yet...or maybe not, I don't remember. Hope it gets better for ya.

One of the things I notices is some episodes seemed more like infomercials for each photographers upcoming gallery exhibits/shows.