Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2010, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Snapshots are a Valid Branch of Photography

I often wonder at the "trash talking" that snapshot photography gets. In my mind, snapshots are akin to journalistic photography in that they capture a moment without artificial staging.

Here is a link to an interesting short story on snapshot photography"

Snapshots Are Good Photographs

11-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree Rob! Fully!
11-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
Forum Member

I agree, as well. Sometimes you just snap away and pray.

Some of the most beautiful photos in existence came not from careful composition and staging (conveying what the photographer wanted to say), but by letting the subject speak for itself. And that's where we get the messages that can't be manipulated, the moments that can't be manufactured, the meanings that can't be contrived.

It's observation in its purest form, isn't it?
11-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Plus ONE! I abhor hearing comments like: "It's a good photo, clearly not a snapshot." I've seen lots of historical snapshots--photographers in the middle of big events do take snapshots, and some of them turn out to be not only great documents of the time, but also aesthetically well rounded pieces of photography.

11-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

They're not snapshots. Their candids!
11-12-2010, 08:54 AM   #6

Many of my favorite shots that I've taken are my candid "snapshots" but then my problem is often overthinking creating simple, effective images.
11-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Snapshot as a term generally refers to a picture taken with little thought other than to capture a moment in time for a small interest group such as family or a small group of friends.
The term relates more to intent than quality.
Snapshot = pictures of your child's first birthday. No one cares outside of your immediate circle of family/friends.

11-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
They're not snapshots. Their candids!
Right.
11-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Snapshot as a term generally refers to a picture taken with little thought other than to capture a moment in time for a small interest group such as family or a small group of friends.The term relates more to intent than quality.
Snapshot = pictures of your child's first birthday. No one cares outside of your immediate circle of family/friends.
see if you think of it that way then any shot taken of say JFKs assasination are only snapshots. Any picture of the walks of MLK are nothing but snapshots since they were not done for artistic purposes. Many of our most famous historical pictures would fall under the definition of snapshot and according to wheatfields definition and many others who feel as he does they are not thought of as real photography.
I am not saying that every picture taken by people will be important but I do not understand why some people look down on the average person taking pictures of everyday life as unworthy of the classification as photography.
11-13-2010, 11:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Snapshot as a term generally refers to a picture taken with little thought other than to capture a moment in time for a small interest group such as family or a small group of friends.
Bold= Obviously.
Everything else= value judgement.
11-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

for what its worth i think the word snapshot is the stupidest description of a photo - or turn it round and every photo is a snapshot
11-14-2010, 06:14 AM   #12
Inactive Account

The Focal encyclopedia of photography - Google Books
11-14-2010, 07:29 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
see if you think of it that way then any shot taken of say JFKs assasination are only snapshots. Any picture of the walks of MLK are nothing but snapshots since they were not done for artistic purposes. Many of our most famous historical pictures would fall under the definition of snapshot and according to wheatfields definition and many others who feel as he does they are not thought of as real photography.
I am not saying that every picture taken by people will be important but I do not understand why some people look down on the average person taking pictures of everyday life as unworthy of the classification as photography.
And here I would have thought that any picture of an American President or a hero of the people would be of a wider interest than a picture of someone's kid covered in chocolate cake just by dint of who they were.
Thanks for correcting me on that regarding the importance of your cultural and political icons.
Apparently I hold them in higher regard than you do.
Or, did you just misunderstand the part about "generally referring" to somehow being an absolute?

<edit>
As an aside, and specifically referring to the pictures of JFK's assassination, sometimes the blind luck of being in the right place at the right time will elevate what is a simple and relatively thoughtless photograph to something of more general interest does happen from time to time.

Go to a parade to snap a picture of the President for your photo album is a snapshot, take that picture at the same time someone snuffs him with a hunting rifle and you have a news photos.
</edit>

Last edited by Wheatfield; 11-14-2010 at 08:24 AM.
11-14-2010, 07:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

+1

Snapshots are made when people use cameras as recording devices, not reporting devices or interpretive devices. Nothing wrong with snapshots, we all do them. Here are some nice snapshots:

Museum-Quality Art Amid Garage-Sale Photos - Newsweek

Some really provocative stuff there, and proof that a million monkees snapping a million shutters can create Bresson, Steiglitz, and all the rest!
11-14-2010, 08:31 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Bold= Obviously.
Everything else= value judgement.
Value judgments are what we do every day. Do you think making value judgments is somehow not valid?
Why did you choose what neighborhood you were going to live in, what car you were going to drive, what colour to paint the living room, who you were going to marry, what restaurant you were going to eat at last week?
These are all value judgments.

A picture of your kid covered in chocolate cake may be a Monet in your eyes, but to anyone outside of your immediate circle it's just another stupid picture of a child who should be hosed down and taught to feed himself.