Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adorama or B&H?

I'm about to buy a new lens, and the price is more or less the same at Adorama and B&H, with free shipping at both. Adorama offers the lens with a few little extras that would be nice (cleaning kit, UV filter). I've never ordered from Adorama, but have from B&H (they gave good service). I'm leaning toward Adorama for the little extras. I know that both are affiliates of this forum, which would seem to suggest that service is good from both, but I thought I'd ask if folks here if they are satisfied with the service they've gotten from Adorama. Opinions welcome.

11-15-2010, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #2
mel
Veteran Member

I have gotten excellent service from both places. I've purchased and returned items and have never had any issues with either place. They both have great customer service. What's even better, if you ever get a chance, is to visit the stores themselves in NYC. It's like Disneyland for photographers.
11-15-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Mel. That's just the sort of analysis I was hoping for. I'd have to allocate DAYS to visit those shops in NYC (and leave my credit card at home)!
11-15-2010, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Albums
Ive gotten things from both, never had any issues, I would say they are pretty close. Only down side for me is since I live in NJ, adorama has a warehouse in this state so if I go adorama, I get hit with sales tax

11-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, I'll get hit with sales tax, too, Brian. No matter which I go with.
11-15-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
I'm about to buy a new lens, and the price is more or less the same at Adorama and B&H, with free shipping at both. Adorama offers the lens with a few little extras that would be nice (cleaning kit, UV filter). I've never ordered from Adorama, but have from B&H (they gave good service). I'm leaning toward Adorama for the little extras. I know that both are affiliates of this forum, which would seem to suggest that service is good from both, but I thought I'd ask if folks here if they are satisfied with the service they've gotten from Adorama. Opinions welcome.

If you need any advice or after-sales support with your purchase, don't hesitate to get in touch: HelenO@adorama.com
11-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
If you need any advice or after-sales support with your purchase, don't hesitate to get in touch: HelenO@adorama.com
Wow Helen you really work it! She is very responsive! Ive spoken to her in other forums (NYIP)

11-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Yeah, I'll get hit with sales tax, too, Brian. No matter which I go with.

11-15-2010, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both of these stores get my business. I have no reservations buying from either of them. I do like the little extras provided by Adorama though. B&H seems to have a slightly wider selection of 'stuff' and Adorama seems to have more used Pentax stuff. The bottom line for me is that I know I can find 99% of the camera gear I'm looking for at either store.
11-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They're both great stores. I've found that Adorama's return policy is a bit better, but that the BH website is easier to navigate.
11-15-2010, 08:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments Brian, Adam, Blackcloudbrew, and Helen. And I will contact you, Helen, if I need help or have questions!
11-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They're both great stores. I've found that Adorama's return policy is a bit better, but that the BH website is easier to navigate.
Oh geeze yes. I keep forgetting about that until I need to browse the selections. B&H is much more user friendly (no offense Helen) and more accurate in terms of finding what you are actually looking for when searching. I've actually griped about this several time to a friend that works there.

I think it might be how the searching strings are interpreted (librarian here, reducing things to boolean terms). When searching with multiple terms in B&H it seems that it interprets the terms with AND between them (Pentax AND lens), whereas the Adorama site interprets it as OR (Pentax OR lens) so you get a LOT of results that are totally irrelevant to what you are actually looking for.
11-15-2010, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

The following pertains to web purchases only. I have also bought from both. With Adorama, I received a call back to 'confirm' the order and try to sell additional items. Not a high pressure sales pitch, but a sales pitch none the less. With B&H, no call backs. Both places performed well on shipping. The one item I had to return to B&H was a no issues return. I've not returned anything to Adorama. One plus for B&H is their 6 months same as cash on items over $250.
11-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Oh geeze yes. I keep forgetting about that until I need to browse the selections. B&H is much more user friendly (no offense Helen) and more accurate in terms of finding what you are actually looking for when searching...
I've found the same to be the case.

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I think it might be how the searching strings are interpreted (librarian here, reducing things to boolean terms). When searching with multiple terms in B&H it seems that it interprets the terms with AND between them (Pentax AND lens), whereas the Adorama site interprets it as OR (Pentax OR lens) so you get a LOT of results that are totally irrelevant to what you are actually looking for.
I got around this by using google: <"Sigma 10mm - 20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC" pentax adorama> and google gave me the direct link.
11-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the headsup on Adorama's call-back., Tom I plan on making a web order rathe than a phone order, and should have said so in my OP. Not sure if this makes a difference, though.
Closed Thread